Moto X or HTC One

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm getting the Nexus 5 but i like the Moto X better than the HTC One because it is closer to pure Android - i despise skins and bloatware and hardware buttons. i also hear great things about the form factor, battery life, Active Notifications, and Always Listening Mode.

good luck.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
i'm getting the Nexus 5 but i like the Moto X better than the HTC One because it is closer to pure Android - i despise skins and bloatware and hardware buttons. i also hear great things about the form factor, battery life, Active Notifications, and Always Listening Mode.

good luck.

I have to agree. In my opinion, the closer to pure android you get the better. I may have gone to the HTC One with pure Android if I could get it on Sprint, so I went with the Moto X. Once I got the Moto X, the rest of the extra features really made it no-brainer.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care for any skinned version of Android anymore. If I were to get the One, I would have had to flash a custom ROM immediately. I have had the X 2 weeks now, and have no desire to find a custom ROM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

ctowne

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
It's tough because these two phones are so different. It really depends on how you use the phone.

If you listen to a lot of music I'd go with the H1 because the headphone jack has the best quality audio I've ever heard from a phone (and I'm very picky about that).

All these people are saying to go with the Moto X because it is closer to vanilla Android. This is not a good reason imo because you can easily flash the Google Play Edition ROM to any HTC One and it becomes vanilla Android.

I personally love both phones, but for way different reasons. I love the htc for the very premium feel and the amazing screen, not to mention the audio. I love the moto x because it is the perfect size for a smartphone. Yes, the Moto X does feel very cheap and "plasticy" when comparing it with the H1.

Also, if a decent camera is what you are looking for I would go with the One. While the X does have a decent camera I think the One is better.

In the end though it all comes down to which device you like better and which one fits your needs the best.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about "vanilla android." I've never had a problem with manufacturer skins aside from the inability to uninstall factory loaded apps, but then again that would purely for aesthetics because I haven't had storage issues. Sometimes these skins provide very useful functionality. I've read that the HTC One's home screen includes an non-removable news ticker.

The Moto X has a better version of stock android that contains some very useful functionality like Motorola Assist, something that you can't get outside of the new Droids and the Moto X. Also the Moto X has low-power processors to monitor voice commands, and to display time and notification using only needed pixels - this all serves to conserve battery life. The HTC One's screen is beautiful at 1080p, but will also suck more power. The Moto X's screen is only 720p, still beautiful, and sucks less power accordingly. My Moto X battery easily lasts all day without needing charging. But between the two devices, it comes down to size, the HTC One is just too big for me, while the Moto X feels perfect in hand and in pocket.

BrokenKid

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
But between the two devices, it comes down to size, the HTC One is just too big for me, while the Moto X feels perfect in hand and in pocket.

I strongly considered the HTC One mostly because of how much everyone was praising it as the best phone ever. But this is the big deciding factor to me - the size of the Moto X feels right, and the HTC One doesn't. Also, that HTC One ticker thing reminds me of everything I hate about Windows phone...and I know you can set a different home screen, but it's still there, and that is annoying.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I own a HTC One and it is by far the best smartphone experience I have ever had. Never been a huge fan of TouchWiz and I am not terribly impressed with stock Android. I had a Nexus 4 and while there were features that I liked about stock, over all I prefer Sense 5.0. At one point I had the GPE ROM on it but the battery management was terrible compared to Sense and there are some very nice features that Sense has such as Zoe and Beats that can simply not be replicated on pure Android. However, I am intrigued by the Moto X's features and hardware. The idea of the "always on" is interesting as well as the lock screen notifications. But it is over priced for what it is, so IMO you are better off waiting for the Nexus 5 which is rumored to have the same features at half the cost.

HTC One Pros:
-Beats Audio is as good as advertised. And the speakers are truly amazing. It also comes with Beats earbuds which are exceptional for what they are. I imagine with a top end headset it would be even better.
-Battery life. I have gone two full days without charging it with moderate usage (a full day on heavy usage) with zero tweaks or third party apps. The power management optimization is fantastic and the power saver options are an added bonus.
-The camera is as advertised. You have to do some minor tweaking (as with most smartphone cameras) but for quick snap and go photos, this is great. Are they good enough to print out? Probably not, but for posting to social media they look good. Also Zoe is a nifty little app to help push it over the edge.
-The display is probably the best I have used. It looks good in any lighting situation and is simply beautiful when playing HD videos.

Cons:
-Slow updates. Seems like it took them forever to update to 4.3 (not surprising, but supposedly Moto has a better track record). Also wouldn't mind a Sense update as some of the rumored features sound pretty good.
-Blinkfeed. I don't dislike Blinkfeed and I actually use it from time to time, but I wish it had more feeds and it was optional. It is basically a Flipboard or Currents that you can't disable. I'll list this as a con, but it really depends on the user.

TL;DR - HTC One is a fantastic device that will likely serve you for years. As advertised Beats Audio, camera, and screen. More than adequate battery life for most people. Slow OS updates and Blinkfeed/some Sense 5.0 features are the knocks.

Enrique2SIM

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Despite the HTC One is a bit older it has some better specs in contrast to the Moto X. Some of them are:

- Better screen quality
- Enhanced user interface
- Better sounds
- More internal memory
- Greater battery-life

The Moto X is still a great handset, but has lower specs than the HTC One ... Maybe that is the reason it has a lower price.

Regards

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
moto x, if you put the almighty "specs" of other androids (htc one and more) on the side, is the smoothest android out there, i will take it over the one because:

- perfect size, you can actually operate it with one hand
- touchless control
- active notifications
- very close to a google stock phone
- u.s made
- great screen
- motorola radio inside (motorola is well known for best radios)
- after the last update its a near perfect phone

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
But it is over priced for what it is

Why do people keep insisting it is over priced? I left the ONE for the X and while the ONE is great, I'd pay double if I had to to have the X over the ONE.

Better form factor
Better battery life
Amazing features like Moto connect, active notifications etc.
The general consensus even among phone snobs is that the X is the best android device to date.

Again the ONE is a great device but the X is worth every penny.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Enrique2SIM

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
moto x, if you put the almighty "specs" of other androids (htc one and more) on the side, is the smoothest android out there, i will take it over the one because:

- perfect size, you can actually operate it with one hand
- touchless control
- active notifications
- very close to a google stock phone
- u.s made
- great screen
- motorola radio inside (motorola is well known for best radios)
- after the last update its a near perfect phone

Hi,

Well, the "specs" are available for that reason ... to compare between models!, However if we focus the points that you mentioned...

- Perfect size: what you operate is the display and both models have the same size (4.7"). Although the width of the HTC One is little bigger (0.12"), it is almost imperceptible.
- Touchless control&active notifications: both are pretty much the same, but yeah ... are strengths of the Moto X
- Very close to a Google stock phone: why you take Google phones as the benchmark?
- US made: how this has to do with the phone performance?
- Great screen: you are wrong, HTC One has higher pixel density, better resolution, better protection and enhance user interface
- Motorola radio inside: could you explain how does it help improve the user experience?
- After the last update it's a near perfect phone: about what update are you talking about? ... the OS?

I am not a fan of HTC, but the One is a great phone...

Regards

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Why do people keep insisting it is over priced? I left the ONE for the X and while the ONE is great, I'd pay double if I had to to have the X over the ONE.

Better form factor
Better battery life
Amazing features like Moto connect, active notifications etc.
The general consensus even among phone snobs is that the X is the best android device to date.

Again the ONE is a great device but the X is worth every penny.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
IMO you are over paying for essentially a slightly nicer Nexus device. We will have to wait and see what the N5 offers, but rumor is that it is essentially the X with a more powerful processor for $350. You are paying extra for the "customization" and the brand name. I guess it doesn't really matter if you are going on a subsidized contract, but you're still paying $200 when almost every One is a $99 down payment. Not saying it is a bad phone, but in the same price range I'd rather have the more powerful One or S4.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
IMO you are over paying for essentially a slightly nicer Nexus device. We will have to wait and see what the N5 offers, but rumor is that it is essentially the X with a more powerful processor for $350. You are paying extra for the "customization" and the brand name. I guess it doesn't really matter if you are going on a subsidized contract, but you're still paying $200 when almost every One is a $99 down payment. Not saying it is a bad phone, but in the same price range I'd rather have the more powerful One or S4.

Again you are going strictly with on paper specs and not actual use. The N5 won't have active notifications, it won't have Motorola connect, it won't have Moto assist, or always listening. These features once used, are so valuable that they far outshine specs. Not to mention the perfect size and the battery life which far exceeds the One or S4. There are many ex ONE and S4 users who have ditched either or both of those for the Moto X and not looked back. The customization of the exterior is just a bonus for those that are interested in that kind of thing.