Verizon Moto Maker Question

Jeff Wolford

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So I hear the Moto Maker will be available through Verizon sometime in November. Question is, will Verizon or Motorola offer some sort of trade in or swap for customers who purchased the Moto X upon release with Verizon in one of the standard colors for a customized phone? Only seems fair to me as the Moto Maker wasn't available during launch. I spoke with a Motorola rep and they have said they will "keep this in mind" and Verizon has given their usual answer of "we don't know jack squat." Does anybody else think this should happen? I would be willing to pay a small cost to trade up to a customized one, just don't want to get stuck paying retail.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I hear the Moto Maker will be available through Verizon sometime in November. Question is, will Verizon or Motorola offer some sort of trade in or swap for customers who purchased the Moto X upon release with Verizon in one of the standard colors for a customized phone? Only seems fair to me as the Moto Maker wasn't available during launch. I spoke with a Motorola rep and they have said they will "keep this in mind" and Verizon has given their usual answer of "we don't know jack squat." Does anybody else think this should happen? I would be willing to pay a small cost to trade up to a customized one, just don't want to get stuck paying retail.

I doubt it. I'd honestly be surprised if they did.

At launch, all they announced was that Moto Maker was coming to Verizon by the end of the year so they did give a heads up.

Jeff Wolford

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I mean who am I kidding.. Verizon actually doing something nice for the customer? I honestly might have to pay the retail and ebay mine just for a navy blue banger. That navy looks awfully sleek.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
With all the positive reviews and the 'lazy phone' ads there could be decent re-sale value on Swappa, etc and if your budget allowed you could get the MotoMaker process going before or after you sell your first Moto X.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I mean who am I kidding.. Verizon actually doing something nice for the customer? I honestly might have to pay the retail and ebay mine just for a navy blue banger. That navy looks awfully sleek.

They said it was coming eventually. It was up to you if you wanted to wait or not.

piperp

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I am more interested to find out how they plan to handle corporate discounts with Moto Maker customized accessories. For example, I believe I get 25% off accessories purchased in store through my corporate discount but I am not sure if I can get that discount when I want to order the customized Sol Republic ear buds or headphones through Moto Maker when I order the phone.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually I thought of waiting not so much for the moto maker as for the 32 gb over 16 gb
I choose not to tho and so far storage space hasnt been an issue.
Having 11.88gb available after installing all my apps i use daily and a couple i don't use daily.
I still have 10.32gb of free space so not to shaby.The addition apps I installed were 17 total

sent from Moto X

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing but rumors at this point. Moto announcing at the same event as the Moto G unveil might make sense. It might not.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I am more interested to find out how they plan to handle corporate discounts with Moto Maker customized accessories. For example, I believe I get 25% off accessories purchased in store through my corporate discount but I am not sure if I can get that discount when I want to order the customized Sol Republic ear buds or headphones through Moto Maker when I order the phone.

Your corporate discount is with your carrier not Motorola, right? Motorola has no reason to honor any sort of corporate discount that you have with your carrier.

Posted via Android Central App

piperp

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Your corporate discount is with your carrier not Motorola, right? Motorola has no reason to honor any sort of corporate discount that you have with your carrier.

Just closing the loop on this...you may be correct but I can't buy the official Motorola accessories through Verizon as I can for any other phone and that's usually what the phone manufacturer recommends. The Griffin navigation dock is a prime example.

For those interested, when I ordered my new Moto X from Moto Maker on 11/11 I did so by going to the Verizon Wireless site and was kicked over to Moto Maker when time to order the phone. I simply called Verizon after the order was complete and mentioned the issue of how my corporate discount would be handled in this case. They customer service rep checked on it then asked me to tell them what accessories I ordered and how much they cost. They then credited back to my account what I would've saved using my corporate discount. So others may be able to attempt the same.