Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 3g/4g questions

I have been to a lot of NHL and college football games lately and when I am there I have no data service, despite showing a decent 4G connection most of the time. *I understand that tens of thousands of people overloading a single (or couple) of towers can slow or halt data, but beyond that I have very little knowledge of how these things work. *

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I am at the game occasionally my phone will flip over to 3G, and when that happens data seems to work pretty well.

My questions:

1) Will my phone work better on 3G in a super crowded area, or was my observation merely a coincidence?*

2) If so, does anyone know an easy way to switch between 4G & 3G? *I was using an app for this on my Bionic but I can't seem to find it for the Moto X.

Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    31,351 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: 3g/4g questions

Quote Originally Posted by londonham View Post
    I have been to a lot of NHL and college football games lately and when I am there I have no data service, despite showing a decent 4G connection most of the time. *I understand that tens of thousands of people overloading a single (or couple) of towers can slow or halt data, but beyond that I have very little knowledge of how these things work. *

One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I am at the game occasionally my phone will flip over to 3G, and when that happens data seems to work pretty well.

My questions:

1) Will my phone work better on 3G in a super crowded area, or was my observation merely a coincidence?*

2) If so, does anyone know an easy way to switch between 4G & 3G? *I was using an app for this on my Bionic but I can't seem to find it for the Moto X.

Thanks in advance!
    I honestly think the signal was stronger with 3G than 4. As for switching, it is kind of a pain; you have to dig through settings.

Carrier
    Stock

As far as I know only CDMA networks (Verizon & Sprint) you can go into a menu and change from LTE to 3G, but on AT&T it automatically locks you into the "best" signal. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 2 skyrocket and an HTC One X since I've been on AT&T since 12/2011, and I have never been able to manually switch the signal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm on Verizon do I will give it a shot. Thanks
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by acles003 View Post
    As far as I know only CDMA networks (Verizon & Sprint) you can go into a menu and change from LTE to 3G, but on AT&T it automatically locks you into the "best" signal. I have had a Samsung Galaxy 2 skyrocket and an HTC One X since I've been on AT&T since 12/2011, and I have never been able to manually switch the signal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    You can change them on AT&T and T-Mobile too...

Posted via Android Central App

Get xposed framework and gravity box to enable a toggle in your quick settings.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Anyone know which network is the Verizon 4g one? LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO prl? Or LTE/CDMA AUTO prl? Or other? I want to make sure I switch back to the correct one. Thanks
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by londonham View Post
    Anyone know which network is the Verizon 4g one? LTE/GSM/CDMA AUTO prl? Or LTE/CDMA AUTO prl? Or other? I want to make sure I switch back to the correct one. Thanks
    Should be the one with GSM in it.

Posted via Android Central App