Custom colors ? how's yours holding up

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So a big caveat here — I'm not quite sure how pre-production this unit is. It's the one Motorola had us design in Moto Maker a few weeks before you could actually purchase one.

But as you can see, my corners are all going yellow.

How's everyone's retail units holding up? Any issues?

motox-corners.jpg

Attachments

• motox-corners.jpg
    motox-corners.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 154

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
With the way I wear off numbers, etc on all my remotes and other gadgets, this scares me a little. Hard to believe that Motorola would not mold colored plastic for the retail units.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding and finding as a Motorola rep. I was told that the colors are completely through the same. So if you have a blue back its blue through the whole thing and not just coated over another color.

Try using gasoline or some kind of strong liquid based cleaner and wipe the different color area

I've seen one case where rep used a leather pouch and the black from the leather pouch made the corners of the phone have a black border.

Posted via Android Central App

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
So a big caveat here ? I'm not quite sure how pre-production this unit is. It's the one Motorola had us design in Moto Maker a few weeks before you could actually purchase one.

But as you can see, my corners are all going yellow.

How's everyone's retail units holding up? Any issues?

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...es/articleimage/684/2013/10/motox-corners.jpg

Wow... I hope mine doesn't fade like that. I haven't had any fading but if I do than I will probably drop it and try to get new

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Phil - I have had the same color (except white front) since launch and mine looks like NEW still. Plus I do not use a case.

Going to tell you something you already know....but you can call Motorola and tell them what is going on with the back of your unit and they WILL replace it. Warranty..plus Moto is bending over backwards to make people happy.

My co-worker noticed some marks under the top of his screen...not very noticeable unless at certain angles or lighting. He called AT&T and they offered to replace immediately but with either a black or white unit. They said call Moto because he used Moto Maker and when he did they acknowledged the problem...provided the RMA/shipping label and once received, they emailed him a new design code within 12 hrs to customize a new phone..whatever he wanted. Did not require him to keep the same colors.

Hope this helps you or other folks.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil - I have had the same color (except white front) since launch and mine looks like NEW still. Plus I do not use a case.

Going to tell you something you already know....but you can call Motorola and tell them what is going on with the back of your unit and they WILL replace it. Warranty..plus Moto is bending over backwards to make people happy.

My co-worker noticed some marks under the top of his screen...not very noticeable unless at certain angles or lighting. He called AT&T and they offered to replace immediately but with either a black or white unit. They said call Moto because he used Moto Maker and when he did they acknowledged the problem...provided the RMA/shipping label and once received, they emailed him a new design code within 12 hrs to customize a new phone..whatever he wanted. Did not require him to keep the same colors.

Hope this helps you or other folks.

Less worried about a replacement — again, Moto gave us this one to use — and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem for other folks.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Less worried about a replacement ? again, Moto gave us this one to use ? and just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem for other folks.

I was thinking that you got your moto when engraving was an option. I am not sure if you chose engraving because I do not see it in the pics. However, they could have fastened a different back than the others for the option of engraving, but maybe Motorola pulled the plug due to these side-affects?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Two words -- Blue Sharpie :)

Yeah, that looks like normal wear from being in pants or jeans. But I'm sure Moto's retail units from Moto Maker are solid colors and the corners could be cleaned off with something. Just PLEASE don't use gasoline, turpentine, propane, or flex seal. Those will eat the crap out of coating on the back of the phone.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Two words -- Blue Sharpie :)

Yeah, that looks like normal wear from being in pants or jeans. But I'm sure Moto's retail units from Moto Maker are solid colors and the corners could be cleaned off with something. Just PLEASE don't use gasoline, turpentine, propane, or flex seal. Those will eat the crap out of coating on the back of the phone.

A dab of some gas mixed with water shouldn't do too much negative damage.. Would get rid of the color stain though.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I might try a dab of a cleaning solution , if it bugged me enough to see the stain.
At least with a dab you wouldnt really cause anymore damage til you found out if it helped or not.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Depends if it's solid or painted. I wouldn't take the chance unless it was a last resort.

Pretty sure it'd a solid throughout and not painted. At least from what I was told from my superiors. There's not coating if you were to cut it in half the whole thing through the middle is one color.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I was in the AT&T store yesterday and it was truly neat to see their display with all the color options for the Moto X, front, accents, and all the backs. They had the backs divided up into what may have been taken for girl colors and boy colors, lol. ...but it was impressive. It would take me a good minute to choose from all the possible options. It's a unique and neat way to personalize your phone, but I do wonder how resale is affected, you've got to find someone that not only wants your phone but likes the color combination you chose.

'13 NeXus 7

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess if you staid kinda conserative on your color selections it would help on a resale ha. I didnt have that option on mine tho since it wasnt available with vzw .I probably would have went with a blue/black color not sure what on the accents

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Looking at this thread - it doesn't look like many customized their Moto Xs.

Boo AT&T exclusivity.

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine is in an otterbox commuter case so really can't comment on whether wearing off the color is a problem.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol