Verizon Glitch - Keeping Unlim Data - New or Old sim?

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I was lucky enough to take advantage of the second "glitch" at Verizonwireless.com and currently have a Moto X on the way, while seemingly keeping my unlimited data plan. Was anyone here in the first batch, and can you share whether you used your old sim or the new sim that came with the phone? I'm just curious if anyone used the new sim and was able to keep their plan, without having to call a CSR and freakout that I got moved to another plan.

Also, I am coming from a GNex and would have to trim the sim card. Any advice on that front would be appreciated.

Thanks.

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
We have managed to maintain unlimited data on 2 recent upgrades with VZW by transferring upgrades from lines with unlimited data over to a line that has a feature phone on it. The most recent one (I got a Moto X earlier this week to replace a GNex as well), buying at Costco the kiosk rep said they had to activate the SIM that came with the phone on the line that had the feature phone that would have the 2GB data plan, but that once he deactivated that he would note that the SIM could be "reusable" or something like that (so that we could keep the feature phone active on it and transfer the phone over to my line with unlimited). When I actually did the setup of my Moto X later that day for my line, it went relatively smoothly (did have a slight hiccup where it didn't fully activate and I couldn't make calls, but yet data was working just fine) but I did the online chat w/ a VZW rep and got that squared away and all is working fine now. I used the new nano SIM that came with the phone which would have initially been activated on a 2GB data plan and I still have my unlimited data after activating that same SIM on my line now. I realize there's a bit of a difference in how the upgrades were done, but point being I would hope that the old vs. new SIM card in your case wouldn't matter either similar to my situation.....would just matter what your account shows for your plan on the line that it's tied to.

Good luck!!!

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I activated the new Nano SIM that came installed in the phone and I kept my unlimited data. No issues at all

Posted via Android Central App

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks D1andOnlyOmen for the input, but that's not really what I was asking.

I am currently out of contract on a single line. I have a 450 calling plan, and a $30 unlimited data plan. Recently (and a month ago, as well), Verizonwireless.com was allowing you to go through the phone upgrade process and never prompt you to move to another plan. The wrinkle is that when you actually get the phone and try to activate it people were sometimes being automatically transferred to a 2gb data plan. They then called (or online chatted) with a CSR with varying levels of effort and success in reverting back.

I just wanted to know if anyone had used the new sim that came in the mail with the new phone without it shoving them off of their existing data plan, causing them to have to call a rep. If I don't have to take a pair of scissors to my MicroSim, that would be OK with me.

- - - Updated - - -

I activated the new Nano SIM that came installed in the phone and I kept my unlimited data. No issues at all

Thanks. How did you activate? Does it ask you to call from another line?

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
It did say call from another line, but I just dialed customer service 611 from the new phone. I didn't have another line to call from.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It did say call from another line, but I just dialed customer service 611 from the new phone. I didn't have another line to call from.

It appears to be luck of the draw. Some people report, as you, that they just activated normally and their plan didn't change at all. Others said that it automatically changed their plans and had to call, but then most seemed like they were successful in getting it reverted back to unlimited. It's hard to tell, as it seems 95% of the people that took advantage of the first "glitch" were pre-ordering the Note 3. Having it be a pre-order, added its own complication. I'll see what shows up in the mail on monday, as far as paperwork, and go from there. Thanks.

holmsc

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I was able to keep my unlimited. Ordered during the glitch, scheduled in-store pickup. The woman who helped me activated the phone in the back before she even brought it out to me, which freaked me out because I'd read about the SIM thing, too. Fortunately when she was checking me out, she noticed and mentioned that I still had unlimited. She seemed VERY surprised that the system let me keep that, but she said "I don't care" and I then signed off on everything and walked out with my Moto X and unlimited data. As others have mentioned, it seems to be luck of the draw.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks D1andOnlyOmen for the input, but that's not really what I was asking.

I am currently out of contract on a single line. I have a 450 calling plan, and a $30 unlimited data plan. Recently (and a month ago, as well), Verizonwireless.com was allowing you to go through the phone upgrade process and never prompt you to move to another plan. The wrinkle is that when you actually get the phone and try to activate it people were sometimes being automatically transferred to a 2gb data plan. They then called (or online chatted) with a CSR with varying levels of effort and success in reverting back.

I just wanted to know if anyone had used the new sim that came in the mail with the new phone without it shoving them off of their existing data plan, causing them to have to call a rep. If I don't have to take a pair of scissors to my MicroSim, that would be OK with me.

I used the SIM that came with my Moto X. Did in-store pickup. Was not forced to move off of my current plan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair