Too Old For Android.

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

Welcome to the forums.
I think as long as you are willing to learn, there is no such thing as being too old for something.
Now, are Androids different from Apple? Yes. Are they more complicated? Yes and no. There are more customizing options out of the box. The Moto X is pretty basic (I have one and love it).

A few good counter questions are what is your carrier? And how much space do you use on your phone?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Good Morning!

Welcome to Android Central!

You're certainly not too old. One of the really nice things about Android is all the choices of hardware you have. The Moto X is a great device and there are many others like the HTC One, LG G2, and Samsung Galaxy S4. Heck, if you think you may appreciate an even larger device we'd be remiss if we didn't recommend the Galaxy Note 3. No matter what you choose most of us are very friendly and look forward to welcoming you to the Android family and will be glad to help get you going. My advice would be to go to your carrier's store and look at and hold a few handsets and see if anything is really exciting to you and how you like the feel of the different units.

from a '14 Note 10.1

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning!

The Moto X would be perfect for you! I've spent time with iPhone's as well as many different android devices and prefer android but always felt most android devices were far too overwhelming for iPhone users looking to convert.

The galaxy series uses the touchwiz interface which has far too much going on as do most of the other android manufacturer skins.

The moto x is the first android device which has the user experience of an iPhone. The smoothness is there as well as the battery life and the user interface being stock android makes it a great experience.

I would say you would definitely be satisfied with the moto x.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The problem with iphones and older folks is the screen is too damn small.
Android is easy enough, especially a stock android experience. Touchwiz and such add complexity, but the moto X is mostly stock.
The biggest hurdle will be finding apps to mirror the iphone apps. They are there, but it will take a little digging and trial and error to find them.
I hate itunes, android is much better. I use amazon for music and books, and it is much nicer imo. So get the amazon music app and the kindle reader app.

I do not stream music, not sure if pandora came to android yet, but there are similar apps. But yea, android and its nice big screens are > iphones for older folks imo.

Come on in, the water is warm..

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input. My carrier is ATT and I use a 16g phone. Never had an issue would storage. I also want a bigger screen size.

You'll have a lot of good choices with AT&T. ...and all of them will offer screens larger than your iPhone's. The Moto X would be a good device, no doubt. The basic android experience is pretty fun and cool but there will be some learning (playing) you'll need to do (and again we're glad to help). As you probably know you can really customize that Moto X if you want. ...and and when you're ready you can customize the heck out of your Android phone. It'll be fun!

from a '14 Note 10.1

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. My carrier is ATT and I use a 16g phone. Never had an issue would storage. I also want a bigger screen size.

Ok. The screen is 4.7" diagonal, so a large jump from your iPhone.

I took a peek at AT&T website, and they offer the 32 GB. I honestly would suggest that as opposed to the 16. Better to have too much space than not enough. My available space after formatting and Android is 11.88 GB. The only reason I suggest that is some games and other apps are getting pretty big, I know you said that you don't use it for much, but with the larger size, you can also store some music on your device so that if by chance you were out of a decent cell signal, you can still listen to something.

Also, with AT&T, you will have more options for phones than other carriers. The next Nexus is coming out soon, and that is truly the best comparison for Apple versus Android. AT&T should get it, but the phone is not released yet.

Since you are just looking right now, take your time, look at the options you have now, and see what you like.

By the way: My mom is 65, and has an Android. For the most part, she can run it by herself just fine.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I am 43, and my old eyes really appreciate the bigger screen size. Less zooming in and out, less hell trying to touch the little link, much easier to read texts and emails, etc.

With this moto x and the ok google now thing, heh... It makes pretty simple to google a question or launch navigation eh?
If you have never tried google now, its just better than siri. It is, ummm aware

2 things to try when you get your phone.

First, download swiftkey, the #1 android app for years. It just so much better then the iphone keypad. After you train it, it practically types your texts out on its own.
Its almost freaky after a month of using it. It knows what you want to type.
It KNOWS you are going to call your daughter "sweetie pie" and it throws it out there before you even hit the S key.
It is almost unbelievable.

Second, try this. Launch google now, and tell it to remind you to get milk (aspirin, whatever) the next time your at kroger or wal greens)
2 days later when your walking into the store your phone is going to wake up and tell you to get the aspirin. WTF? heh. It KNOWS you are at kroger.
Its freaky.. and amazing.

Once you get used to it, its a blessing for a man with old eyes and a bad memory.

Google... self driving cars, google glass, google now.
The company just pushes tech like no other.
Your going to like this phone. I cannot wait to get it myself.

(I have owned iphone 5, windows phone/ htc trophy, and about 3 androids. Before that blackberry storm, etc.)
I like them all, but Google/android never cease to amaze..

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost 57, husband pretty neat to 59, I have the Note 3 and gave him my Note 2. There is an easy mode on both phones so the home screen isn't too cluttered. I have mine customized, I like the ability to do whatever I want to it. My husband doesn't need ask Ruhr bells and whistles but after his S2, I haven't heard a word of complaint from him about the connections, screen size or speed. They are big phones, for old eyes, and I have a whole slew of eye issues....

Just a thought for you. Good luck!

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Moto X is pretty basic and is definitely easy to learn and use. other phones like GS4 and G2 have so many bells and whistles which make the whole experience complicated.

and u r in luck the price just dropped to $99 on moto maker https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...DFLEXR1%23exterior%2Fbackplate&token=IKN4KwXy

you can customize the phone in moto maker and dont worry about the learning curve , we are here to help.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Good Morning!

Intenalized ageism much? :)

It all pretty much depends on your capacity to learn new information. This varies amongst the young and old. All of the things you do on are possible on Android.

The only thing is that depending upon your phone of choice you may have to do a little more work to get it just right. But at least there's an option of getting it just right on Android. :)

Some phones are more difficult to set up than others. Some people are fine with the Galaxy S4 right out of the box. And then just add apps to the screen. I find it, out of the box, to be an advertisement for all of the apps and Widgets I'll never use. And to have tons of settings that I need to turn off. The Moto X comes to you out of the box with a folder of Google Apps and a few other apps on the screen. And the settings are minimal and simple.

As an introduction, I'd recommend either the Moto X (highly recommend in fact) or perhaps a Nexus phone
(Although I have never owned a Nexus). I recommend these based on their simplicity and on the expectation that they will run smoothly.

If you buy Nexus, you'll have to buy one online from the Play store and I THINK you have to be on a GSM carrier. It costs less if you're looking to buy outright, but more than if you bought one subsidized.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost 57, husband pretty neat to 59, I have the Note 3 and gave him my Note 2. There is an easy mode on both phones so the home screen isn't too cluttered. I have mine customized, I like the ability to do whatever I want to it. My husband doesn't need ask Ruhr bells and whistles but after his S2, I haven't heard a word of complaint from him about the connections, screen size or speed. They are big phones, for old eyes, and I have a whole slew of eye issues....

Just a thought for you. Good luck!

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Wow, those note 3's are nice. I did not know they had a basic setting that cleans stuff up. Good to know.
Beautiful phones with big screens for sure.

I made the mistake of having my mother go iphone, for the ease of use.
(android was still about gingerbread or so at the time and was clunky) She loves her iphone, but the small screen is holding her back.

I want to move her to android. I will look into this note 3 easy mode. Can you tell em what it is called exactly? It might be just perfect for her.

For me, its going to be the moto X.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Easy Mode. In System Settings it is right there in big letters :). A Bluetooth headset might make calls easier though the phone is surprisingly light given its size.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Easy Mode. In System Settings it is right there in big letters :). A Bluetooth headset might make calls easier though the phone is surprisingly light given its size.

Thanks for the info. Daughter had a note 2 and it was pretty sweet. She loved it. She likes art and games so the big screen and stylus came in handy.

I didnt look at it enough to know it had a ez mode. this might be just what granny needs to get rid of that little iphone screen forever.

thanks for the information. I will check it out.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Agree with Golfdriver97...and just about everyone else on this post, age is an attitude and my 2 cents is you will do fine. I'm 63, old eyes but get by just fine on my 2 year old HTC Rez as a phone, listening to music, SMS, web stuff, email. Won't redo what others have said but help is always here if you get stuck on something.

Getting the Moto X in Nov. Feeling like a kid at Christmas...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Easy Mode might even be too simplistic but its there if ever desired on newer Samsung phones. I think of Easy Mode more as an entry point to smartphones for someone that's never had any smartphone at all. Having had an iPhone he'll be fine with the basics.

'13 NeXus 7

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Your never to old to switch!

I've helped out some youngsters in their 70's in my time here at AC.

I believe even a few of them have hacked/rooted their devices!

If your interested and willing to put a little effort into the transition it's worth your time.

Good luck

Paul
Forums Moderator

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante