Too Old For Android.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
There are no phones that are "too difficult to use" just because of your age. They are all pretty simple and intuitive enough for anyone to figure out. I am 56 and I do use iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.

While Android is easy and the choice of phones is by far better than with any other OS, I find that Android has way too much available on their phones and I end up not using 80% of the features. That may not make a difference to you. To me it feels like driving a Porsche and not ever taking it past 40 mph.

After using iPhones, BlackBerry and Android for years, I have found that iPhone is the simplest and most straight forward system available. No bells or whistles and it's relatively your "basic phone" of today.

So have a Porsche I can't go full speed on or have a minivan I can drive as fast as possible? I'll still take the Porsche

Posted via Android Central App

romdude

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So have a Porsche I can't go full speed on or have a minivan I can drive as fast as possible? I'll still take the Porsche

Besides, this Porsche can transform into a minivan when it wants with a pretty well known app called Espier Launcher or Espier Launcher IOS7.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
There are no phones that are "too difficult to use" just because of your age. They are all pretty simple and intuitive enough for anyone to figure out. I am 56 and I do use iPhone, Android and BlackBerry.

While Android is easy and the choice of phones is by far better than with any other OS, I find that Android has way too much available on their phones and I end up not using 80% of the features. That may not make a difference to you. To me it feels like driving a Porsche and not ever taking it past 40 mph.

After using iPhones, BlackBerry and Android for years, I have found that iPhone is the simplest and most straight forward system available. No bells or whistles and it's relatively your "basic phone" of today.

I think I need help trying to teach my 60yo dad because he only knows what an on and off button is. He haves no clue how to check his email address that my cousin set him up with. Having him to learn and know how to browse the internet will be a huge breakthrough.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if that was a serious question or if you were just being facetious, but you're not going to find an iOS based Roms. Your best bet, if you're looking to turn your Android into an iPhone, is download Apex or Nova Launcher and then download an iOS7 theme. All avail in the Play Store. Good luck and hang in there! The quickest way to learn your device is to spend time exploring. Go through all the menus, settings, etc and experiment.. Before you you know it, you'll be a pro! :)
As others have mentioned....you're never to old to learn something new! :thumbup:

tap'n

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if that was a serious question or if you were just being facetious, but you're not going to find an iOS based Roms. Your best bet, if you're looking to turn your Android into an iPhone, is download Apex or Nova Launcher and then download an iOS7 theme. All avail in the Play Store. Good luck and hang in there! The quickest way to learn your device is to spend time exploring. Go through all the menus, settings, etc and experiment.. Before you you know it, you'll be a pro! :)
As others have mentioned....you're never to old to learn something new! :thumbup:

tap'n
I was joking XD I'd never run iOS on my phone
I have no problems with Android, I only asked because he said "this Porsche can turn into a minivan" meaning that Android can turn into iOS, but the launcher only changes the home screen, not any of the UI or OS...

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!!

I'm of the opinion that if you're willing to learn new things, then you're not too old for an Android phone. I've got the Galaxy S3 and I love it with the Touchwiz stuff included in it. From what I read about the Moto X, it's a very nice phone. I have a feeling that this phone may just be a great fit for you coming from an Apple iPhone. I'm 45 and I've tried just about all of the different OS's that have been on smartphones. Started out with Microsoft Windows Phone (version 6.x) in 2007, went to Blackberry (4.5 through 6.0) from 2009 until 2012 and been with Android phones since then. I also have an iPod Touch that I keep around for my nephew to play with after I started with Android phones and tablets. From my personal experience, the Android OS has been as close to perfect that I have had in a smartphone.

By the way, my dad and I got my mom a Kindle Fire HD so that she can play games and read e-books this past summer and she absolutely loves it. She just retired at 69 and is taking to the Android 4.x OS system on the tablet like a fish to water. I was a bit concerned because she's one of those that really did love to read actual paperback books over e-books. Once she got the hang of how to use the tablet and download e-books, she reads e-books more than paperback books. If she can do it, I'm sure that you can make the switch to an Android phone.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm 52 and as per Jethro Tull..."you're never to old to rock and roll if you're too young to die". I would suspect that the same is true for Android. Just sayin'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good Morning!

I am a 59 year male (old school) that has been using IPhones since day one. Actually, used to use a Motorola bag phone back in the day. Anyway, I am intrigued with the android phones. I currently use the IPhone 4S but would really like to make a change. I primarily use my phone to talk, listen to music (Sirius, Pandora, Spotify) when I run/workout and also Bluetooth in the car. Will use the internet for driving instructions and just normal web surfing.

My question is am I too old to make the switch and should I just stick to the easy to use IPhones? If not, of the androids, would the Moto X be my choice? As you can see, my use of the phone is very simple. Don't need a lot of bells an whistles. But would like to try a new position (lol).

I do not think there is a "too old for Android" age. Android is more customizable than iOS, and that can make it more complicated. In earlier versions of Android, you really needed to take advantage of this customizability just to make phones usable, and that gave Android a reputation as a complicated OS. Much of that is gone now though. The Android of today can be nearly as easy to use as iOS and give you the added benefit of some additional functionality. I do not think you'd have a problem. I think the Moto X is an excellent phone and a terrific choice for an iOS convert. The HTC One is another terrific phone you should consider and take a look at. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Samsung Galaxy S4, but lots of people love it so its probably worth a look as well.

Now, if your really interested in getting the pure Android experience, the Google Nexus 5 should be available in the next few weeks. It a little more expensive up front because you are buying it off contract (should be about $350), but you can end up saving money over the long run because you can switch to a prepaid plan that is cheaper for the same service.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Good Morning!

I never think anyone is too old, as long as they are willing to learn just a little and break away from the one thing they know.

Obviously, you are fairly tech savvy, and are willing to go looking for help, so I would say you are perfect to make the jump. My mom has been android, and while she likes the ease of the iPhone sometimes, she hates the small screen, as it is harder for her to read. I would say play with them at the store, and what fits your hand, and the right balance in size. I would stay newer, so that you get the benefits of the newer phone, and if you buy on contract, it doesn't become outdated too fast.

I would say look at the Samsung Galaxy S4, or LG G2, Moto X is nice too, and my brother in law likes his. The Nexus phones are nice, but I think you might benefit from having the skin of Samsung or LG, etc over the Android operating system.

They are all pretty easy to work with, and to get set up with what you need. Compared to how android was back in early days, it is super easy. I think you will love the change, and be pleased with anything that you get.

Welcome to the community, and never hesitate to ask for help with your new phone.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
My first experience in trying to get my dad to use a cellphone was interesting...he put it up to his ear and asked "why don't I have a dialtone?"...But of course, he couldn't understand why you didn't have to rewind a DVD when those came out to replace the VHS tapes...lol...true stuff

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I did it!! Went to the ATT store and worked out all the details concerning that were concerning me and just ordered my Moto X 32g woven black front and back with silver accents through the Moto Maker website. Should be here in 5 days. Looking forward to the new challenge of Android. Hoping once I go Android I will never look back to IOS. Again, many thanks for all the support here. Sure I will be asking lots of questions once I receive it next week.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well I did it!! Went to the ATT store and worked out all the details concerning that were concerning me and just ordered my Moto X 32g woven black front and back with silver accents through the Moto Maker website. Should be here in 5 days. Looking forward to the new challenge of Android. Hoping once I go Android I will never look back to IOS. Again, many thanks for all the support here. Sure I will be asking lots of questions once I receive it next week.

I think you should enjoy it. Don't be afraid to switch in the future. Technology works very fast. At one time Windows mobile and Blackberry dominated,than apple, now android. In 5 years who knows what will be #1. Could be Windows Phone, could be an unannounced OS from a company that isnt in the game yet, or a start over (like winmo to win phone)

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I was finally able to activate the Moto X last night. Been playing with it while working today. It is a bit different from my iPhone. Finally figured out the e-mail, phone, voice mail and texting part. Trying to customize my home screen. This seems to be more tricky. Are there any good videos or write-ups on how to do this. I tried installing some from the app store but it messed everything up. Had to uninstall it. I like the home screens that have the circles around the time and weather and battery %. I installed Nova Launcher but that made everything go away. Had to uninstall it.
So I am at the point where I think iPhone users throw in the towel and return to there iPhones. I don't want to do this. I need a good place that can teach me how to install this stuff.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh my, don't mess with new launchers right now! Stick with the stock Moto Launcher your phone came with and learn your way around your new phone before trying to change it! The stock Launcher is good anyway! You can certainly get some regular apps for news feeds, games, different clocks if you like, etc. But I would stay away from launchers for quite a while. Get used to your phone as it is! Just too much for an Android newbie, in my opinion anyway. :eek:

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I was finally able to activate the Moto X last night. Been playing with it while working today. It is a bit different from my iPhone. Finally figured out the e-mail, phone, voice mail and texting part. Trying to customize my home screen. This seems to be more tricky. Are there any good videos or write-ups on how to do this. I tried installing some from the app store but it messed everything up. Had to uninstall it. I like the home screens that have the circles around the time and weather and battery %. I installed Nova Launcher but that made everything go away. Had to uninstall it.
So I am at the point where I think iPhone users throw in the towel and return to there iPhones. I don't want to do this. I need a good place that can teach me how to install this stuff.

I have an X. What are you trying to do?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I am 55 and I love my android devices. I have rooted my Nexus 7, HTC one x and am going to root my HTC one soon. I have a lot of fun learning new things to do with my devices. These android devices keep my more and active.

Sent from my One X using AC Forums mobile app

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey Golfdriver97! Thanks for the reply! I am trying to get my home screen to look like Dr. Bombays on the "Let's see your Moto home screens, page 1. He is running Nova launcher and the clock widget One More Clock Widget with the theme is Chrome Rings. I tried installing the Nova Launcher and it completely nuked my homepage. Had to uninstall it. I was hoping the customization would be easier. Would love to find a YouTube video on how to customize your home screen.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance