Moto X: Front Facing Camera Issues?

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to see if this is the norm with the front facing camera.

Regrettably, I had to take a few "selfies" in order to demonstrate the issue.

So here is first picture:

na5ahuga.jpg

Every single pic take with the front facing camera is kind of noisy no matter what the lighting is. I can't get a picture to be 100 percent clear.

There is also a line that cuts through my pictures about half way down depending upon the lighting.
zase6y7u.jpg

If you look to the right of me at the headboard you see it.

These last two pics were taken with Snap Camera. Underexposed the pics and lowered the contrast to bring the line out more.
abezasuh.jpg

jaterytu.jpg

Is anyone else noticing this?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Front Facing Camera Issues?

I looked at the selfies I have taken but I don't see what you're going through with your pictures. Have you updated your phone? The new update improves the camera.

Posted via Android Central App

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

I looked at the selfies I have taken but I don't see what you're going through with your pictures. Have you updated your phone? The new update improves the camera.

Thank you for responding.

Yes. I updated it first thing. As soon as I had my Sim set up I went straight for it.

It guess I might have a hardware issue.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for responding.

Yes. I updated it first thing. As soon as I had my Sim set up I went straight for it.

It guess I might have a hardware issue.

This may sound crazy but when was the last time you turned your phone off and back on? I would try that and if it doesn't work then I'd say get a replacement either from the carrier or from Motorola since you're within your warranty with the phone.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

This may sound crazy but when was the last time you turned your phone off and back on? I would try that and if it doesn't work then I'd say get a replacement either from the carrier or from Motorola since you're within your warranty with the phone.

I've turned it off and off several times between Monday and now.

I'm already exchanging it for a brand new one now. It pretty much came out of the box that way. I assumed it was just a software issue but after a while I realized it was probably something more.

martinr80233

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Did you get your phone exchanged? If so did the new one you got any better? My phone has the same issue and it's pretty bad! Thanks.

Madestric

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

hmmm...ive noticed that too but i thought that was just the low light setting i was in, will have to test it tomorrow in the sunlight.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Did you get your phone exchanged? If so did the new one you got any better? My phone has the same issue and it's pretty bad! Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I was logged out of Tapatalk. The new phone, unfortunately did not get any better. I'm shocked that it is this bad. When I tested it next to my S3 camera, that camera was great in the same exact lighting. I don't understand why it looks that bad. It seems to almost disappear when I try to take pictures at work. It's very faint then, but still there.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

hmmm...ive noticed that too but i thought that was just the low light setting i was in, will have to test it tomorrow in the sunlight.

I think it may be related to low light settings. It seems to fade significantly in well lit settings. But there's really no excuse for it being that bad. My S3 camera is 100 percent clear in the same exact lighting. And to make matters worse it still seems like it doesn't go away completely. Even in good lighting I swear there is still some distortion. And I can't for the life of me figure out why some of the lines on the picture are so consistent.

llnat

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Got mine in january and had the same problem with the front facing camera. I called in and they're sending a replacement at no charge. I get to keep the current one until the replacement arrives.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

Do you guys allow your photos & videos to be auto-uploaded to Google+? The AutoAwesome fixes for pics is pretty amazing.

This thread caused me to try some test selfies for the first time. The original images were a bit cool (blue), but not as bad as the OP's. The enhanced images were warmer.

Just saying ... try letting Google+ fix your pics automagically.

llnat

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Got mine in january and had the same problem with the front facing camera. I called in and they're sending a replacement at no charge. I get to keep the current one until the replacement arrives.

...and then they sent me another phone with the same problem!!

@maxwells787: HDR doesn't fix it
@placeman: for both moto x's (orig and replacement) this is an obvious problem in a well lit room.

slackermvp

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

How did or what did you say get them to send you a replacement?

I have the same problem but they're only offering to have me send it in for diagnostics and repair, but I can't at the moment because I have no spare phone to use.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

I have the same issue but mostly in indoor or low light conditions.

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt