Google Wallet & AT&T ? Why

cdahncke

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So, why is the NFC features of Google Wallet disabled on the Moto X on AT&T? Google says AT&T won't support that feature, but it will on Sprint. Why? Is it really AT&T? On my Galaxy Nexus (also on AT&T) it worked just fine. If the feature is really available on the phone, how can the carrier be blocking it on one type of phone, but not the other?? Very confused.
:confused:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There really are countless posts on this subject. ATT, Verizon and TMO decided to support ISIS a competing tap and pay system and they block the usage of GW tap and pay on their carrier phones. Sprint did not and stayed with Google Wallet. Nexus phones also allow GW on ATT since I use it also and I assume on the others as well.

Bottom line is ATT, Verizon and TMO have removed that option from their carrier branded devices even if they are capable of the technology.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So, why is the NFC features of Google Wallet disabled on the Moto X on AT&T? Google says AT&T won't support that feature, but it will on Sprint. Why? Is it really AT&T? On my Galaxy Nexus (also on AT&T) it worked just fine. If the feature is really available on the phone, how can the carrier be blocking it on one type of phone, but not the other?? Very confused.
:confused:

carrier is totally to blame. they are just greedy... thats the reason why i would never use isis ever in my life https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/1347934?hl=en

sprint and US cellular are user friendly carrier while others are not. Period

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If Google moves away from needing a secure element, the Wallet app could suddenly begin working on all devices with NFC chips. Wallet might finally have a shot at succeeding.
I hope what I quoted from your link turns out to be true .Thats the one app I miss. I had it on my previous 2 phones kinda got use to having it .

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was just reading on geek.com about this. It appears the Nexus 5 will also not support Google Wallet as Google is working on having Wallet work with a non secure chip as a workaround to the ban on the secure chip being allowed by the carriers. Here is the link which I think explains all:

Nexus 5 could debut a more open Google Wallet that works with all phones | Android | Geek.com
from the leak it looks like google is implementing the wallet on to Android itself avoiding the secure NFC part.

" Nexus 5 will also not support Google Wallet" this statement might be wrong. it will work but differently on KitKat

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude