Screen scratches extremely easily

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I put a PET screen protector on mine, cheap, easy to install, and really not bad. People on amazon seem to like this one:

Amazon.com: Invisible Defender - Google Motorola Moto X Screen Protector with [3 PACK/Lifetime Replacement Warranty] The World's Best Selling Premium EXTREME CLEAR Screen Protector for Moto X 2013 Model (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon): Cell Pho

Just watch a brief tutorial on youtube and/or do it in the bathroom after running the shower for the best lint-free application.
I bought that one and messed up the first application with the lint and bubbles. The second one was good enough and it looked ok but I didn't have the phone long enough to judge it since it went back next day. I have one protector of the three left for when I (hopefully) get the phone again, maybe from moto maker this time. I did not try to make the air moist so maybe I will take the time for that next time.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought that one and messed up the first application with the lint and bubbles. The second one was good enough and it looked ok but I didn't have the phone long enough to judge it since it went back next day. I have one protector of the three left for when I (hopefully) get the phone again, maybe from moto maker this time. I did not try to make the air moist so maybe I will take the time for that next time.

The bathroom makes quite a bit of difference. Steam up the bathroom for 5-10 minutes before you head in to do your screen, have all your stuff handy and set up before you start . : ). Also be sure to use the "hinge method", (it may already come with the tape and instructions for it, here's a youtube video of it).

How To: Perfectly Install a Screen Protector - Hinge Method Nexus 4 - YouTube

Another video:
http://lifehacker.com/5927704/apply-a-screen-protector-perfectly-every-time-with-the-hinge-method

Last edited:

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been using an att moto x for about 4 weeks straight with a few days off trying other devices. Yet to have any scratches. Always coming in and out of my pocket, etc. Totally naked. Love this device. One of the best android phones ever made.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my X last night, FACE FIRST onto my hardwood floors. Heard what sounded like very expensive glass shattering. I stood there for a moment, afraid to pick it up. Picked it up from the floor...

Not a scratch. Dropped from chest high too. No problems either. This is a damn sturdy phone.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Moto X for just over two months now, and it doesn't have any scratches. I don't have a screen protector on my phone, either.

You need to remember that Gorilla Glass isn't scratch proof.

To those such as the above post, why not put a screen protector on it? I understand the debate over a case, as it can detract from the feel of the device. But a screen protector properly installed is invisible.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't scratch easy, I've gone through so many phones and most decent built Android phones are going to have Gorilla Glass on it, the only Android devices I've had scratches on were the ones with weak plastic screens that flex as soon as you press on it (LG Optimus One, LG Shine Plus, Motorola Charm, also most of my Blackberry phones too). My HTC Desire I've had since early 2010 still doesn't have scratches and I don't use a screen protector. Heck even my very first Android phone the Motorola Quench (Cliq XT) had a merely unscratchable screen even though the phone itself sucked (thank god Motoblur is gone now).

Also screen protectors seem to cause slight input latency or lower captiviate response, at least I notice it on other people's devices that has screen protectors on them.

Like ne0ne, in and out of my pant pocket, lots of finger prints and pocket lint, and case wear but that's it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The bathroom makes quite a bit of difference. Steam up the bathroom for 5-10 minutes before you head in to do your screen, have all your stuff handy and set up before you start . : ). Also be sure to use the "hinge method", (it may already come with the tape and instructions for it, here's a youtube video of it).

How To: Perfectly Install a Screen Protector - Hinge Method Nexus 4 - YouTube

Another video:
Apply a Screen Protector Perfectly Every Time with the Hinge Method

The video method is basically how I do all mine. I use the regular scotch invisible tape since I have that kind of tape around the house is all.
I dont need to do the bathroom trick .Also I dont use the wet application type. Whatever type of screen protector you use follow the video tho and you should get real good results.I dont have any air bubbles or lint bubbles any where on mine

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Masking or Scotch tape does the job, just put a strip from top to bottom and do each inch of the screen over and over before applying the screen protector.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My personal preference is to put some kind of protection on my phone. I got a Defender and I like it. My screen and device are so far, scratch free.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
To those such as the above post, why not put a screen protector on it? I understand the debate over a case, as it can detract from the feel of the device.

And a screen protector detracts from the feeling of the screen, which is especially annoying for people who use gesture keyboards, like Swype or SwiftKey.

I didn't use a screen protector with my Galaxy Nexus except for maybe a month when I first got it, and my Galaxy Nexus never got a scratch on its screen. I never used a screen protector with my Droid X, either, and that screen never scratched, either.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't use a screen protector with my Galaxy Nexus except for maybe a month when I first got it, and my Galaxy Nexus never got a scratch on its screen. I never used a screen protector with my Droid X, either, and that screen never scratched, either.

I had same results with my HTC Incredible, Droid X, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3,although I did have screen protectors on them to start but eventually started to use them without.Either way no scratches.But even some others claimed to get scratches on them to ,I dont know if they had other stuff in their pockets or what .

I agree the screen does feel better without.I can see why people want to use screen protectors tho.I tend to use screen protectors more on brand new phones and then later kinda drift away from them.At least thats been the case for me in the past.I always have started out using screen protectors on new phones,I guess its a habit ha.
Its too early to say when or if / or when I may or may not stop using screen protector on my Moto X(I still got 2 left).

Steve-x

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but wonder if there is a variation in the glass from different batches. Perhaps the protective coatings were poorly applied on one batch or the glass itself is not as hard as it should be.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
And a screen protector detracts from the feeling of the screen, which is especially annoying for people who use gesture keyboards, like Swype or SwiftKey.

I don't know how to describe that amount of "pickiness" but I for one don't notice any difference with or without a good quality screen protector that is properly installed. Maybe even enhances the feel of the slide when using gesture keyboards in fact. My opinion

godwhomismike

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
This is good to know if I get a Moto X. I have kept my iPhone 4S in my same pocket as my keys for the last two years with no screen protector on it. All ll I got is one tiny little 1-2 mm scratch at the ear piece on the glass.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
For me it's simple - I hate the way every screen protector I've ever had "felt". I want the slick glass feeling and I'm willing to take a few scratches to get that. :)

Now that my daughter's old enough (12), she gets my hand-me-down phones after I'm done with em in a year anyway - so re-selling it isn't an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan