Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fairclough
  • 1 Post By davidnc
  • 1 Post By ShoelerDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen cracks due to overheating?

So my friend slapped the phone out of my hand the other day and I picked it up and it had nothing wrong with it...

Woke up today? And it has a nice crack from the top to bottom..

And to top that off: the device has been getting super hot lately and I've even seen some color distortion due to the overheating.

Anyone else?

sent from my MOTO X using the android central app | Adv Repair Agent-geek squad
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

Default Re: Screen cracks due to overheating?

I don't have a moto x but I think your friend is silly for slapping a mobile out of your hand

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    JimBen73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer_Radar View Post
    So my friend slapped the phone out of my hand the other day and I picked it up and it had nothing wrong with it...

And to top that off: the device has been getting super hot lately and I've even seen some color distortion due to the overheating.

Anyone else?

My moto gets pretty hot. I have ss of it at 125 degrees. I've been working with two developers at moto trying to trouble shoot my stuttering issue that has been coming on. I asked them if the heat could be causing it and the one said it's possible but appears they are starting with reviewing bug files from my device.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

If you've got no applicable warranty, your friend owes you a phone

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    7,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Yeah id be paying that "friend"a visit and explain what they do in a stern way.Their reply would determined what happened next

sent from Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer_Radar View Post

Anyone else?

Now why in Peter Griffin's name would he slap the phone out of your hands? SMH

My phone would get pretty warm when I got it I reformatted it and it hasn't been a problem since

Posted via Android Central App

It was broken from the drop, it just did not show up till the next day.
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

She slapped it because i was doing a snapchat. Didn't realize I'd drop it.

It fell face first down. I checked and used the phone for 4-5 hours after it and there was deff no damage to the screen.

I went to bed and got up to a huge crack literally from the ear piece to the bottom softkeys left side. Its 100% noticeable and Id be able to see it last time.

I contacted ATT. This phone isn't even 2 months old. I purchased the ATT protection plan so well see what happens.

I still think its because it overheated. The day dream always started to show up purple and the phone would be uncomfortable to the touch if not burning.

1 app it'd specially burn up is ingress from Google.

PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

Global Posts
    7,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I play ingress all the time on mine since I first got the phone. Its never heated up bad.
    Makes me think when it got slapped out of your hand and landed something internal might have got damaged .Kinda like internal injuries ,it would from appearence to be fine but really not be
    sent from Moto X
    grooks likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I play ingress all the time on mine since I first got the phone. Its never heated up bad.
    Makes me think when it got slapped out of your hand and landed something internal might have got damaged .Kinda like internal injuries ,it would from appearence to be fine but really not be
    sent from Moto X
    Overheated before the drop. Lol.

The most likely situation was that there was a crack so small that you weren't able to see it. While charging later, the crack likely got worse. It is unlikely with the timing that you mention that the crack was due to overheating. It's most likely that it was caused by the drop.
    planoman likes this.