Tethering question

Steve-x

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I think it depends on your provider and the firmware version. With my XT1058 (rogers firmware) I can tether using the native app. It works via wifi, bt and usb with no additional software needed.

Last edited:

jnewell05

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon blocked this, usb tether works though and Att probably blocked it too. Haven't confirmed yet on ATT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
i have done this on an un rooted vz moto x using foxfi from the market. works well

Ditto. I literally just tried this. FoxFi from market, my 2-day old VZW (unrooted). Installs a certificate and you have to put a pin lock, but when I'm done using FoxFi (which I only need occasionally), I'll remove the certificate to turn off the pin lock.

Was concerned about device list: FoxFi Devices, but glad it's either out of date/not correct.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ditto. I literally just tried this. FoxFi from market, my 2-day old VZW (unrooted). Installs a certificate and you have to put a pin lock, but when I'm done using FoxFi (which I only need occasionally), I'll remove the certificate to turn off the pin lock.

Was concerned about device list: FoxFi Devices, but glad it's either out of date/not correct.

I'm not familiar with this process. i have fox-fi [paid app] . could you walk me through what you are talking about? does bluetooth tethering work?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It does not work under AT&T which is why I'm selling it and getting a Nexus 5. I use about 200 MB of my unlimited plan every month for tethering, and I use only 3 GB of that plan in total, so the fact that somebody would charge me extra for tethering is ridiculous. Hate to see the Moto X go (touchless controls apparently don't really exist on the Nexus) but this is a choice I gotta make. And as soon as my contract with AT&T expires I will leave them for greener pastures -- after 12 years. FU AT&T.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not familiar with this process. i have fox-fi [paid app] . could you walk me through what you are talking about? does bluetooth tethering work?

What part are you not familiar with? I didn't try bluetooth tethering, I wanted the WiFi hotspot. FoxFi requires a security certificate to be installed so it can open a VPN connection, which requires you to set a pin/pattern lock (I only have swipe to unlock). I accept the certificate, install a pin lock and connect to the WiFi hotspot from my laptop, etc (don't forget to put in a password for the hotspot). When I'm done, I turn off the hotspot and go to Settings | Security | Clear Credentials. Then I can switch back from the pin lock to the swipe lock.

I only need the hotspot occasionally and this works great on my Verizon Moto X without paying a separate tethering charge.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
It does not work under AT&T which is why I'm selling it and getting a Nexus 5. I use about 200 MB of my unlimited plan every month for tethering, and I use only 3 GB of that plan in total, so the fact that somebody would charge me extra for tethering is ridiculous. Hate to see the Moto X go (touchless controls apparently don't really exist on the Nexus) but this is a choice I gotta make. And as soon as my contract with AT&T expires I will leave them for greener pastures -- after 12 years. FU AT&T.

What makes you think that it will work with the Nexus 5?
The tethering restriction is AT&T - has nothing to do with which phone you use.

Posted via Android Central App

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Not entirely correct. When you use the native tethering, then it's the carrier who controls the access and traffic marked as tether. PdaNet and FofFi send traffic as an app, like a browser, hence concealing it.

joelp228

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Verizon blocked this, usb tether works though and Att probably blocked it too. Haven't confirmed yet on ATT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

i have done this on an un rooted vz moto x using foxfi from the market. works well

Are you sure? I have the Moto X on Verizon not rooted and I'm able to tether wirelessly without any 3rd party apps. I set it up through the settings free of charge as well. I have the basic 4G data plus Voice and messaging plan. No extra features added to my Verizon account and I'm able to tether wirelessly exactly the same way I use to do on all my previous Android phones (Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S).

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure? I have the Moto X on Verizon not rooted and I'm able to tether wirelessly without any 3rd party apps. I set it up through the settings free of charge as well. I have the basic 4G data plus Voice and messaging plan. No extra features added to my Verizon account and I'm able to tether wirelessly exactly the same way I use to do on all my previous Android phones (Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S).

On my Verizon account and Moto X, if I try to setup the native hotspot, I get "Checking subscription status..." and then a prompt:

Mobile Hotspot: You need to subscribe to Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect from Verizon Wireless in order to use this service. [Subscribe for $20/month] [Decline]

Which is why I use FoxFi (which does use the Native Hotspot settings for network name and WPA2 password).

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Native tethering behavior depends on the plan you're on: new "Share Everything" plans include tethering but older "Unlimited" plans do not and require additional subscription.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

I have AT&T and tether using Foxfi. I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 though. It doesn't matter which phone you use, it will work.