Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ericizzy1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Tethering question

    Can you wifi tether on the Moto X without root, with free apps, such as Foxfi, in the same way you can on Nexus devices?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    I think it depends on your provider and the firmware version. With my XT1058 (rogers firmware) I can tether using the native app. It works via wifi, bt and usb with no additional software needed.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Verizon blocked this, usb tether works though and Att probably blocked it too. Haven't confirmed yet on ATT

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    i have done this on an un rooted vz moto x using foxfi from the market. works well
    davidnc likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    i have done this on an un rooted vz moto x using foxfi from the market. works well
    Ditto. I literally just tried this. FoxFi from market, my 2-day old VZW (unrooted). Installs a certificate and you have to put a pin lock, but when I'm done using FoxFi (which I only need occasionally), I'll remove the certificate to turn off the pin lock.

    Was concerned about device list: FoxFi Devices, but glad it's either out of date/not correct.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by mkreef View Post
    Ditto. I literally just tried this. FoxFi from market, my 2-day old VZW (unrooted). Installs a certificate and you have to put a pin lock, but when I'm done using FoxFi (which I only need occasionally), I'll remove the certificate to turn off the pin lock.

    Was concerned about device list: FoxFi Devices, but glad it's either out of date/not correct.
    I'm not familiar with this process. i have fox-fi [paid app] . could you walk me through what you are talking about? does bluetooth tethering work?
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Anybody have success with it on AT&T? Currently on Verizon but thinking about jumping ship and getting the AT&T variant.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    OK Ihave a Moto X now so I may ry tethering it to my Tablet on my next break.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    I was not able to get tethering working without adding it as an option to my plan on AT&T.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    It does not work under AT&T which is why I'm selling it and getting a Nexus 5. I use about 200 MB of my unlimited plan every month for tethering, and I use only 3 GB of that plan in total, so the fact that somebody would charge me extra for tethering is ridiculous. Hate to see the Moto X go (touchless controls apparently don't really exist on the Nexus) but this is a choice I gotta make. And as soon as my contract with AT&T expires I will leave them for greener pastures -- after 12 years. FU AT&T.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this process. i have fox-fi [paid app] . could you walk me through what you are talking about? does bluetooth tethering work?
    What part are you not familiar with? I didn't try bluetooth tethering, I wanted the WiFi hotspot. FoxFi requires a security certificate to be installed so it can open a VPN connection, which requires you to set a pin/pattern lock (I only have swipe to unlock). I accept the certificate, install a pin lock and connect to the WiFi hotspot from my laptop, etc (don't forget to put in a password for the hotspot). When I'm done, I turn off the hotspot and go to Settings | Security | Clear Credentials. Then I can switch back from the pin lock to the swipe lock.

    I only need the hotspot occasionally and this works great on my Verizon Moto X without paying a separate tethering charge.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by quietlybrilliant View Post
    It does not work under AT&T which is why I'm selling it and getting a Nexus 5. I use about 200 MB of my unlimited plan every month for tethering, and I use only 3 GB of that plan in total, so the fact that somebody would charge me extra for tethering is ridiculous. Hate to see the Moto X go (touchless controls apparently don't really exist on the Nexus) but this is a choice I gotta make. And as soon as my contract with AT&T expires I will leave them for greener pastures -- after 12 years. FU AT&T.
    What makes you think that it will work with the Nexus 5?
    The tethering restriction is AT&T - has nothing to do with which phone you use.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by scrounger View Post
    What makes you think that it will work with the Nexus 5?
    The tethering restriction is AT&T - has nothing to do with which phone you use.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not entirely correct. When you use the native tethering, then it's the carrier who controls the access and traffic marked as tether. PdaNet and FofFi send traffic as an app, like a browser, hence concealing it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    joelp228's Avatar

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewell05 View Post
    Verizon blocked this, usb tether works though and Att probably blocked it too. Haven't confirmed yet on ATT

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    i have done this on an un rooted vz moto x using foxfi from the market. works well
    Are you sure? I have the Moto X on Verizon not rooted and I'm able to tether wirelessly without any 3rd party apps. I set it up through the settings free of charge as well. I have the basic 4G data plus Voice and messaging plan. No extra features added to my Verizon account and I'm able to tether wirelessly exactly the same way I use to do on all my previous Android phones (Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S).
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by joelp228 View Post
    Are you sure? I have the Moto X on Verizon not rooted and I'm able to tether wirelessly without any 3rd party apps. I set it up through the settings free of charge as well. I have the basic 4G data plus Voice and messaging plan. No extra features added to my Verizon account and I'm able to tether wirelessly exactly the same way I use to do on all my previous Android phones (Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S).
    On my Verizon account and Moto X, if I try to setup the native hotspot, I get "Checking subscription status..." and then a prompt:

    Mobile Hotspot: You need to subscribe to Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect from Verizon Wireless in order to use this service. [Subscribe for $20/month] [Decline]

    Which is why I use FoxFi (which does use the Native Hotspot settings for network name and WPA2 password).
  16. #16  
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Native tethering behavior depends on the plan you're on: new "Share Everything" plans include tethering but older "Unlimited" plans do not and require additional subscription.

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  
    rlb
    rlb is offline
    rlb's Avatar

    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

    Default Re: Tethering question

    Quote Originally Posted by scrounger View Post
    What makes you think that it will work with the Nexus 5?
    The tethering restriction is AT&T - has nothing to do with which phone you use.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I have AT&T and tether using Foxfi. I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 though. It doesn't matter which phone you use, it will work.

Similar Threads

  1. A few questions from a new Chromebook user
    By krmurrayjr in forum Chromebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM
  2. Rooting / rom question
    By mayconvert in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 11:20 AM
  3. to buy or not to buy that is the question
    By tbgjlb in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM
  4. Google Maps (Navigation) question
    By mrwallyy in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 10:24 PM
  5. Couple questions
    By mekano in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions