Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ETPhoneHomeT
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can the Wifi be disabled automatically?

Hi 'X'perts,

I find this really annoying and wanted to find out if there is a way to get around this. . . . .
    When I am getting out of work and in the escalator, the phone is still latching onto the office wifi. I see that when I get to the parking as well. The wireless is only 1 bar but because of that I cannot really download any mails or check FB etc. The Wifi signal is too weak to allow me to do that.
    I manually need to disable the Wifi so that the LTE can kick in. Is there a way too disable the Wifi automatically when its only 1 bar or something to always avoid this hassle?

Thanks !

Default Re: Can the Wifi be disabled automatically?

There are some apps on google play that turn wifi on or off depending on various situations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...phone+schedule

If you are on more or less consistent schedule you can set it to specific time to turn on/off.

I don't have WiFi in the office so mine is set to 7:30am OFF - 6:15pm ON mon-fri

Posted via Android Central App

Trigger - Play Store

Best app by far. I bought the $2.99 unlock everything which allows geolocation triggers. As soon as I leave my house (take a couple meters here and there) my wifi automatically gets turned off, bluetooth activates, and connects to my headset. When I arrive home, it automatically connects to my wifi network and disables my bluetooth devices. I highly recommend trigger. You can also set time schedules.

I use this app Quick Profiles pro. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ickprofilespro

It is manual but allows you to set up profiles similar to what is a stock feature in BlackBerry. I have profiles set up for Home, Work, Driving, Movies ETC.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Quote Originally Posted by hjanweja View Post
    Hi 'X'perts,

I find this really annoying and wanted to find out if there is a way to get around this. . . . .
    When I am getting out of work and in the escalator, the phone is still latching onto the office wifi. I see that when I get to the parking as well. The wireless is only 1 bar but because of that I cannot really download any mails or check FB etc. The Wifi signal is too weak to allow me to do that.
    I manually need to disable the Wifi so that the LTE can kick in. Is there a way too disable the Wifi automatically when its only 1 bar or something to always avoid this hassle?

Thanks !
    you can do this with a feature on Android.

go to settings-->wifi-->menu[3 dots on bottom right]-->advanced-->Check "Avoid poor connection"
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by hjanweja View Post
    Hi 'X'perts,

Thanks !
    I highly recommend an app called "Wi-Fi Matic - Auto Wifi On Off" by Carlos Prados, a free app on the Play Store. All you do is enable the app and when you connect to any desired wifi network the first time, it remembers it (doesn't use GPS, so no battery drain) so next time you're at that location it switches from data to wifi automatically and when you leave the location, it automatically switches from wifi back to data. Couldn't be easier to use and works reliably. I used to use an app called Y5 Battery Saver which did the same thing, but it hasn't been updated in quite some time and found that it would constantly drop known locations from it's memory with newer versions of the Android OS so wouldn't function properly. Switched to Wi-Fi Matic and couldn't be happier. Make sure to get the one by Carlos Prados as there is another app by the same name.
    hjanweja and anthony2558 like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    you can do this with a feature on Android.

go to settings-->wifi-->menu[3 dots on bottom right]-->advanced-->Check "Avoid poor connection"
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks !

Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I second Wi-Fi Matic. Great app, and free.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2

You can also try selecting "Avoid poor connections" in the wifi advanced menu.