Moto X - Prices dropped

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand why the contract AND the retail prices have dropped $100 on the X, Ultra, and Maxx. This seems very early for contract prices to drop, and retail hardly ever goes lower. What is going on?

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I was at the AT&T store last night activating my wife's new Nexus 5 on GoPhone, and I asked the saleswoman about what the most popular Moto X color combos were. She said "we've only sold 1 or 2 of those; it's all (cue "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" voice) iPhone, iPhone, iPhone".

I'm not sure the story would have been any different if the Moto X had been Free on-contract from the start; consumer loyalty to Samsung/Apple will take several model iterations for Motorola to crack.

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I was at the AT&T store last night activating my wife's new Nexus 5 on GoPhone, and I asked the saleswoman about what the most popular Moto X color combos were. She said "we've only sold 1 or 2 of those; it's all (cue "Marsha, Marcia, Marcia!" voice) iPhone, iPhone, iPhone".

I'm not sure the story would have been any different if the Moto X had been Free on-contract from the start; consumer loyalty to Samsung/Apple will take several model iterations for Motorola to crack.

iPhone sales are going to crush everything right now.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Agree that the moto x is huge if you know something about android. Most others do not know how great a phone it is including most of the salespeople. My ATT sales person has a moto x but he told me they do not move as well as iPhone or Samsung.

Sent from my Moto X!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
This seems very early for contract prices to drop, and retail hardly ever goes lower. What is going on?

I believe this price drop has been planned from the start. It was reported around the time of the Moto X's launch that it'd be $99 soon.

I'm sure Motorola wasn't expecting the X to sell like crazy from the start. They really haven't had much of an important presence on carriers other than Verizon. They know they have quite a bit of mindshare to establish with consumers before they can really take on Apple and Samsung.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the heads up, i've been holding out on getting the X until the fabled $99 price tag. looks like i'm in

i know it's cheaper elsewhere, but i've never had much luck with agents

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the heads up, i've been holding out on getting the X until the fabled $99 price tag. looks like i'm in

i know it's cheaper elsewhere, but i've never had much luck with agents

It's the best bargain out there if you're eligible for an upgrade. Some folks are adamant against a subsidized contract device, but I don't see the downside. In any event, it is a gripe that many of us paid an extra Benjamin only a matter of a few weeks prior, but ATT was good about crediting my account.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Price drop on Amazon, as far as the X is concerned, could be that the Moto Maker will be coming to all the other carriers soon and the carriers are sitting on a ton of Black and WHite stock they want to dispose of before peopel start buying custom color devices

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if vzw will also get the 32gb version. I'm gonna wait it out a few more days. I'm not really interested in customizing it due to it going in a case

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Motomaker website has it for 479 off contract price now. A great deal. Like other gave said, I don't see this phone making a ton of sales so I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop even lower by the end of the year/holiday season. I'll wait it out for a few more months to see what happens.

Posted via Android Central App

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if vzw will also get the 32gb version. I'm gonna wait it out a few more days. I'm not really interested in customizing it due to it going in a case

Moto Maker on Verizon should have the 32 GB version. There is no extra cost to use Moto Maker so you could just build a standard black or white phone.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Motomaker website has it for 479 off contract price now. A great deal. Like other gave said, I don't see this phone making a ton of sales so I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop even lower by the end of the year/holiday season. I'll wait it out for a few more months to see what happens.

Not picking on this post, but why would anyone pay more than the contract price of $99/149 if eligible?

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Not picking on this post, but why would anyone pay more than the contract price of $99/149 if eligible?

Simple, because you don't want another contract or aren't due up for an upgrade since you have to wait a full two years.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara