Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,780 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Moto X - Prices dropped

I don't understand why the contract AND the retail prices have dropped $100 on the X, Ultra, and Maxx. This seems very early for contract prices to drop, and retail hardly ever goes lower. What is going on?
    Aquila likes this.

Default Re: Moto X - Prices dropped

I was at the AT&T store last night activating my wife's new Nexus 5 on GoPhone, and I asked the saleswoman about what the most popular Moto X color combos were. She said "we've only sold 1 or 2 of those; it's all (cue "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" voice) iPhone, iPhone, iPhone".

I'm not sure the story would have been any different if the Moto X had been Free on-contract from the start; consumer loyalty to Samsung/Apple will take several model iterations for Motorola to crack.
    Paisley and jephanie like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,780 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by phew View Post
    I was at the AT&T store last night activating my wife's new Nexus 5 on GoPhone, and I asked the saleswoman about what the most popular Moto X color combos were. She said "we've only sold 1 or 2 of those; it's all (cue "Marsha, Marcia, Marcia!" voice) iPhone, iPhone, iPhone".

I'm not sure the story would have been any different if the Moto X had been Free on-contract from the start; consumer loyalty to Samsung/Apple will take several model iterations for Motorola to crack.
    iPhone sales are going to crush everything right now.
    Pollster likes this.

Agree that the moto x is huge if you know something about android. Most others do not know how great a phone it is including most of the salespeople. My ATT sales person has a moto x but he told me they do not move as well as iPhone or Samsung.

Sent from my Moto X!

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    This seems very early for contract prices to drop, and retail hardly ever goes lower. What is going on?
    I believe this price drop has been planned from the start. It was reported around the time of the Moto X's launch that it'd be $99 soon.

I'm sure Motorola wasn't expecting the X to sell like crazy from the start. They really haven't had much of an important presence on carriers other than Verizon. They know they have quite a bit of mindshare to establish with consumers before they can really take on Apple and Samsung.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

thanks for the heads up, i've been holding out on getting the X until the fabled $99 price tag. looks like i'm in

i know it's cheaper elsewhere, but i've never had much luck with agents

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    thanks for the heads up, i've been holding out on getting the X until the fabled $99 price tag. looks like i'm in

i know it's cheaper elsewhere, but i've never had much luck with agents
    It's the best bargain out there if you're eligible for an upgrade. Some folks are adamant against a subsidized contract device, but I don't see the downside. In any event, it is a gripe that many of us paid an extra Benjamin only a matter of a few weeks prior, but ATT was good about crediting my account.

Price drop on Amazon, as far as the X is concerned, could be that the Moto Maker will be coming to all the other carriers soon and the carriers are sitting on a ton of Black and WHite stock they want to dispose of before peopel start buying custom color devices

Of course, I ordered my upgrade for $99 through Verizon ... then saw it for $50 at Amazon. :-)

Still beats $200 ...

-- Roger

I'm surprised full-retail prices have dropped.

Global Posts
    11,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Yeah that's the surprising part to me as well.

Kit Kat Galaxy Nexus... through spacetime.

I got it from Costco for $59 with 2/yr on att.

Great deal and even better phone!

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    What's the lowest full retail price right now for a VZW-capable X and who's the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Bristol View Post
    What's the lowest full retail price right now for a VZW-capable X and who's the dealer?
    $500 from Verizon. I don't really pay attention to third-party dealers.
    Tom in Bristol likes this.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

I wonder if vzw will also get the 32gb version. I'm gonna wait it out a few more days. I'm not really interested in customizing it due to it going in a case

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

Motomaker website has it for 479 off contract price now. A great deal. Like other gave said, I don't see this phone making a ton of sales so I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop even lower by the end of the year/holiday season. I'll wait it out for a few more months to see what happens.

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    I wonder if vzw will also get the 32gb version. I'm gonna wait it out a few more days. I'm not really interested in customizing it due to it going in a case
    Moto Maker on Verizon should have the 32 GB version. There is no extra cost to use Moto Maker so you could just build a standard black or white phone.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    brandonx1000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddot196 View Post
    Motomaker website has it for 479 off contract price now. A great deal. Like other gave said, I don't see this phone making a ton of sales so I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop even lower by the end of the year/holiday season. I'll wait it out for a few more months to see what happens.

Not picking on this post, but why would anyone pay more than the contract price of $99/149 if eligible?

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    Not picking on this post, but why would anyone pay more than the contract price of $99/149 if eligible?
    Simple, because you don't want another contract or aren't due up for an upgrade since you have to wait a full two years.

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    Not everyone is on a contract.

Because they don't want to be tied down to a two year contract or are wanting to keep their unlimited data plan.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by JimBen73 View Post
    Because they don't want to be tied down to a two year contract or are wanting to keep their unlimited data plan.

Posted via my awesome, longer lasting phone than yours aka droid MAXX
    I can maybe see the unlimited data, but I don't see the issue with a contract. The contract price + the ETF still doesn't equal the "no contract" price. Am I missing something?

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

Apparently you didn't read my post at all...

Quote Originally Posted by ddot196 View Post
    Apparently you didn't read my post at all...

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think I replied, much less read your post.. Sorry
    tgp

Global Posts
    4,488 Global Posts

Is AT&T the only option for Motomaker? I suppose a Verizon version for $499 would be unlocked, but would LTE work with AT&T service? I'm on prepaid. I'm interested in an unlocked version if it can be had for <$500.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast