Desktop Dock owners ....

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, lovin my Moto X. So,this post is for those who have bought the desktop dock. So, how do you like it? is it worth the $40, or should I wait for a discount/price drop? What made you get it? What don't you like about it? Thanx for any answers. I've just been thinking that not a lot of phones have official docks, and the Moto X PowerDock looks really nice, and just wondering if it's worth it. I mean it just props up the phone while charging it. Any benefits or other apps that take advantage of a dock (besides Daydream of course).

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I am interested as well. I am also curious if anyone has tried any other docks. The VZW rep I got my Moto X through tried a Droid dock but it wouldn't fit. Maybe a Galaxy Nexus dock would work at half the price.

The only other thing I have seen for the Moto X is this but I don't see the Moto X listed as a compatible phone on the manufacture website. Only on eBay and Amazon is the Moto X listed as a compatible phone.

Amazon.com: Kidigi Desktop Dock Charger Cradle Ac Usb Wall Dock For Motorola Moto X: Cell Phones & Accessories

Actually I did find this on the Kidigi website but for $35 I wonder if it worth saving five bucks over the Griffin.

Nakedcellphone - KiDiGi ULTRA-THIN DESKTOP CHARGER CRADLE AC USB WALL DOCK FOR MOTOROLA MOTO X

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Griffin dock for the Moto X. I really like it so far, but quite honestly, it you can find one cheaper it will probably work just the same. I ordered mine directly from Moto when I ordered the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the Griffin dock for the Moto X. I really like it so far, but quite honestly, it you can find one cheaper it will probably work just the same. I ordered mine directly from Moto when I ordered the phone.

Do you use a case?

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a Diztronic TPU case that I don't really keep on my phone. I'll test it on the dock with it tonight and let you know how it fits. Based on the phone being on the dock alone, I don't think it will fit with a case though.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
There is a removable adapter for the phone to sit on dock by itself. If you have a case remove the adapt. Another tip is put one of your Skip Dots on or near the dock.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
1384918309151.jpg1384918327916.jpg
1st photo has adapter put. 2nd has adapter on. Just a tip is putting one of the skip Dots on the base of the desktop dock. Don't put it on the stand because it will keep phone from going into daydream or sleep.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Ready to add my 2 cents now that I've had the dock for a bit.

I really like it. Felt it was a bit expensive, which it definitely is, and there are a couple of issues, for me anyway. I use a regular tpu case and so the fit is super loose when using the case tray adapter, but that's fine. Then I find I kinda have to wiggle it out off the port, sometimes hold the base down and pull the phone off, that's fine too. And then there's the active notifications not working. Well, hmmm. No likey that part. Because it's in day dream I still don't need to power button to wake, but i do have to wake by touch then drag down the notification bar, so it's not terrible but ideally they work that out at some point. It might charge slower than the regular "rapid charger" but i suppose in theory i could use the regular rapid charger and stick it into the base of this, but i like a slow charge, i keep reading its better for a battery, so, whatever. lol.

But even with all those things, i really like it. Today i was getting ready and i was thinking of stuff i had to do, I remembered i needed apholstry cleaner, so i just asked google now to put it on my to do list and was going about my way while it saved the note. So that and the charging aspects are worth hoping google figures out how to deal with a/n and the charger.

Last edited:

stameyryan

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I use and Incipio case and a PMA wireless charger. Love it. Kinda expensive at first but wouldn't turn back. Only con is it covers up my "wood back".

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

ScootD

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
DO NOT BUY THIS DOCK...SEE UPDATE:

I have the home/desk dock and am disappointing with it so far. It's more difficult to line up the micro usb port than it should be. I'm usually putting my phone in the dock right when I go to bed. The lights are normally out and the wife is asleep so turning on the lights to get the thing lined up is not an option. Additionally, the power cord that comes with the dock is way to short to be useful. How many nightstands are 3 feet or less from a power outlet.

Recently, when I do get the phone into the desk dock it does not actually charge. The screen dims showing the clock for daydream mode but the phone is not actually charging. Unfortunately, I am unaware it is not charging as it has entered daydream mode and therefore I believed the dock was working as designed. This either leads to not waking up on time because the phone is dead (I use my phone as my alarm clock) or having very little battery to make it through the work day.

Additionally, you cannot fit the phone into the dock properly with a case on it. I have removed the bottom plastic piece of the cradle and gotten the phone into the dock with a case on it but the phone tends to lean too far forward at that point often preventing the phone from sensing it is in the dock and going into daydream mode. This even happens with thin minimalist cases.

I'm going to give the dock one or two more tries at successfully charging without having to fight with it before calling moto to get a replacement or a refund.

Update:
I tried the dock three times tonight and it did not charge the phone.

I then tried doing an online chat with moto customer service to either get a replacement or return the dock. three times I waited for an available representative. When I reached number 1 in line each time I was informed there were no available representatives. This also happened last night when I tried to contact them.

I decided to call motorola instead. After getting disconnected the 1st time I finally got a hold of someone whom then had to transfer me elsewhere (btw, their hold message/music seems to fail so I sat there for 10-15 minutes in silence trying to determine if I had been hung up on but someone finally picked up). Once finally speaking with someone they offered me a replacement, which I would have 14 days to return if it did not work properly. The problem becomes that the original dock worked for 2 weeks before crapping out on me. Why would I accept a 14 day return period on a replacement if the original lasted 14 days before failing? The rep put me on hold to see if he could do something about the 14 day window. I was then disconnected while on hold waiting for the rep to get back to me.

I called back and was disconnected yet again.

Determined to get this POS out of my house, as I was overly frustrated with Motorola and decided $40 for a dock that only works for 2 weeks was highly unacceptable, I called back a 4th time. I am now speaking with a representative explaining my situation. The rep puts me on hold for what they claimed would be a few minutes. 10 minutes later the rep gets back on the phone, states he cannot process the return as I ordered the dock when ordering my moto x, states the sales team has to be contacted to process the return, and offers me their phone number. I try to insist he process the return due to the many hoops I now jumped through to get to this point. He cannot process the return but will escalate my case so the sales team calls me back within 24 hours.

I am beyond frustrated and will NEVER buy another moto product if this is how they handle their business. Non-functioning online customer service chats! Non-functioning customer service call centers! Customer service reps not empowered to actually do anything to correct the situation! I thought, maybe just hoped, that the acquisition by google and the new direction illustrated in the Moto X, was a sign of turning over a new leaf for Motorola. In the end it's the same crappy customer service under a different corporate umbrella.

Can I afford to lose the $40? Yes. But I simply cannot let myself be taken advantage of so easily. If nothing else this experience has reaffirmed that I need to treat my customers' concerns with the care and attention they deserve or I will find myself with no customers to keep me in business. No wonder Motorola isn't doing well.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry for ScootD for all the problems.

My dock has been great. I keep it on my nightstand and have no problem docking it in the dark. I also have the SUPCASE Amazon.com: SUPCASE Motorola Moto X Phone Unicorn Beetle Hybrid Case - Black/Black, Free HD Clear Screen Protector, Bubble Free Installation Instruction Included: Cell Phones & Accessories and it fits perfectly. I use the daydream mode and alarm clock and have tossed my old alarm clock in the trash.

I have no problems with it charging and I did put a skip dot on the front, per the suggestion.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When you pick up your phone, if its lock you just touch the back down on the skip and its unlocked.

I did this before I started using Wifi-unlock, so the skip is really not needed for me now.