Hangouts + SMS

wgreaney

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up my motox yesterday and coming back to Android after a vaction in IOS land.

Trying to play catch up. Just saw that hangouts was going to supports SMS intergration. Has this update happened already? If so how do i start using SMS in hangouts. If not when are we expecting the update?

Thanks, happy to be back.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up my motox yesterday and coming back to Android after a vaction in IOS land.

Trying to play catch up. Just saw that hangouts was going to supports SMS intergration. Has this update happened already? If so how do i start using SMS in hangouts. If not when are we expecting the update?

The updated hangouts with SMS integration is available as part of 4.4 KitKat.

If you don't want to wait for 4.4, follow this link Nexus 5 and 4.4 System Dump Resources and you will find the apk for the updated hangouts. I have the new hangouts loaded on my Moto X and everthing seems to be working ok. I have not tried any of the other 4.4 files so cannot speak to whether they work so proceed with caution.

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the apk... I noticed since then my Moto assist won't read my text messages while driving anymore probably because I'm using strictly hangouts now. Anybody notice this? Hopefully this gets integrated in the, 4.4 update

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I also tried the Hangouts v.2 but couldn't send MMS trough it. Plus, didn't really like that all it does combines SMS/MMS messages with your hangout conversations but keeps them as separate treads. I want my conversations with the same person to be displayed in one tread - just like iMessage does

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

its not updated for everyone... will come to u in a week or so

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I also tried the Hangouts v.2 but couldn't send MMS trough it. Plus, didn't really like that all it does combines SMS/MMS messages with your hangout conversations but keeps them as separate treads. I want my conversations with the same person to be displayed in one tread - just like iMessage does

Id imagine this is going to be a work in progress. Someone somewhere kept mentioning a patented apple had with the way it works.. I just can't see that being the issue. Google seems to release and revise with most they do. It will come.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the apk... I noticed since then my Moto assist won't read my text messages while driving anymore probably because I'm using strictly hangouts now. Anybody notice this? Hopefully this gets integrated in the, 4.4 update

Exactly. The Drive Assist works with the stock messaging app. Maybe undo hangouts as the default messaging apps in application manager and then check it out. I think Motorola will have to address this issue with the 4.4 firmware update that is supposedly coming

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It does not. Think we're going to have to wait on kit kat.

So the stock messaging app is still available after this update? I suppose the Hangouts app will have to be disabled for SMS for the time being..that is if one wants to use the Drive Assist

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The updated hangouts with SMS integration is available as part of 4.4 KitKat.

If you don't want to wait for 4.4, follow this link Nexus 5 and 4.4 System Dump Resources and you will find the apk for the updated hangouts. I have the new hangouts loaded on my Moto X and everthing seems to be working ok. I have not tried any of the other 4.4 files so cannot speak to whether they work so proceed with caution.

Do you use Motorola Connect? http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...outs-2-0-motorola-connect-not-compatible.html