Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto x Gets Warm While Charging

My apologies for posting this elsewhere first, I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread:

I have had my moto x for a week and I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this:

My moto x gets pretty warm while charging (not hot, but pretty warm, enough to make fingers sweaty).

I am not sure if this is expected or unusual, my last phone was a moto atrix 2 and never experienced this.

Thanks guys!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Default Re: Moto x Gets Warm While Charging

It's normal for Li-ion batteries to get warm while charging or during heavy cycling. If it's exceedingly not hot (ex: too hot to touch) and you're not noticing poor battery performance, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine does also, but it isn't something I'm worried about.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Are you guys using the correct chargers?

Every charger is created differently.

sent from my MOTO X using the android central app | Adv Repair Agent-geek squad
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

ROM
    Stock Rooted, ChevyNO1

This is common with most phones. If you are using it while charging, you are getting a combination of heat from the battery charging, battery using power and the processor running. It's normal and should not ever get too hot, the phone has built in safety measures if it gets too hot.

Global Posts
    587 Global Posts

Also, what kind of case you're using (if you have one) can make a difference too. Some of them are really good at holding onto heat.

Global Posts
    20,832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Mine gets warm as well. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I have used both the moto x charger and a brand new USB charger from best buy. Same result with both. But from what everyone is saying that seems ok.

I have an otterbox commuter case (which I also used on my atrix 2 with no heat issues)

I had the same issue with mine, the charger would get really hot and also my phone even when it's off and charging. I downloaded an app that showed me my phone temperatures and it'll range from 106-113 degrees which isn't normal and it'll cause battery drain, a Motorola rep told me it shouldn't pass 99-101 max even during usage.

Motorola phones manufactured in 2009 or later have a "cool down mode" function. This feature is designed to protect the battery and circuit board. If the internal temperature of the phone exceeds 136 degrees Fahrenheit, the device will shutdown all functions except emergency calls..... this is from motorola website

Quote Originally Posted by andog88 View Post
    I had the same issue with mine, the charger would get really hot and also my phone even when it's off and charging. I downloaded an app that showed me my phone temperatures and it'll range from 106-113 degrees which isn't normal and it'll cause battery drain, a Motorola rep told me it shouldn't pass 99-101 max even during usage.
    If you mean in Celsius, then that is alarming. Next I'll wait for the battery to melt. I would be worried if my phone battery get hotter than 80*C.

I've found google+ pegs a cpu while charging. I force quit it and my phone is notably cooler while charging.

Thanked by:
    hongdb