Android device manager

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
For those that want to have Android Device Manager active, you need to go into security settings and make sure it's still activated. The Play upgrade a couple of weeks ago disabled this. Just noticed this on mine and have seen some mentions of this in other forums

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
For those that want to have Android Device Manager active, you need to go into security settings and make sure it's still activated. The Play upgrade a couple of weeks ago disabled this. Just noticed this on mine and have seen some mentions of this in other forums

Thanks for the tip. I checked mine and it was indeed disabled. Excellent post.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Great find. Thanks

Posted via my MotoX

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a very important thing to check, so I'm taking the liberty of bumping this in case someone is missing it on the back pages of this forum...

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the Device Manager, I don't see an app for this like the they have for the iPhone. Anyone know why?

I can use a browser, but it does not work very well (the window to select device takes up half the page, etc).

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the Device Manager, I don't see an app for this like the they have for the iPhone. Anyone know why?

I can use a browser, but it does not work very well (the window to select device takes up half the page, etc).

That's because there is no app. It is a setting in security, device administrator. Then you use device manager on a browser to locate, etc

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
That's because there is no app. It is a setting in security, device administrator. Then you use device manager on a browser to locate, etc

I know there is no app -- I asked why.

If I want to locate a device from another device, it is very inconvenient doing so from the browser (even using Chrome, which I would have expected to behave the best).

At first I didn't get the point of the Find My iPhone app, until I had a wife and kids with iOS devices -- I could pick up any device and find the others. Now my wife has a Note 3 and my son a Nexus and I would like to find their devices from my Moto X. I can make do with a browser, but the UI is horrible and would prefer a device optimized app.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Do a search on the play store. There's a multitude of apps like that. Device manager is just Google's entry into that type of feature.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Do a search on the play store. There's a multitude of apps like that. Device manager is just Google's entry into that type of feature.

I'm aware of that and have used some others but I prefer to use the google built in functionality. The web app is perfect with a drop down for each device -- I can quickly switch between the location of various devices (no logging in and out of other accounts). Just needs a companion app.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Both My Devices prompted me to Turn on Device Administrators today out of the blue.

I suspect Google must have done some sort of a reset on the service, because I wasn't aware of this thread
until I came here to the forums to search. Upon checking, both were in need of setup, even though
I had them set up previously.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware of that and have used some others but I prefer to use the google built in functionality. The web app is perfect with a drop down for each device -- I can quickly switch between the location of various devices (no logging in and out of other accounts). Just needs a companion app.

Update: somehow I missed the news, but the companion app launched in December, one month after I wrote the above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463