How to setup Moto X for use without Carrier

dsam79

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Is this possible (like it is with the Nexus 5)?

I assume everything is dependent on WiFi. So can you guys help me learn what I need to do. Like how do I get a phone number without a carrier? What apps are available that allow WiFi calling or VOIP calling? Do any apps do this that are Open Source?

Appreciate any knowledge you guys can share. Thanks.

anon(6085464)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Is this possible (like it is with the Nexus 5)?

I assume everything is dependent on WiFi. So can you guys help me learn what I need to do. Like how do I get a phone number without a carrier? What apps are available that allow WiFi calling or VOIP calling? Do any apps do this that are Open Source?

Appreciate any knowledge you guys can share. Thanks.

You can buy it off contract from a site, make sure it is sim unlocked.
or you can get the dev edition for 549 usd.

apps that allow you to call via Wifi?
skype, hangouts, viber, tango, etc, etc. - do some research seriously.

dsam79

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
apps that allow you to call via Wifi?
skype, hangouts, viber, tango, etc, etc. - do some research seriously.
that's what this thread is, part of the research effort.

Obviously to maximize contacts, I'd need to run a calling app that can work across iPhone and Android. And it would be best if it's free so that if a contact does not have it I can ask that they install it and it would be at no charge for them.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
that's what this thread is, part of the research effort.

Obviously to maximize contacts, I'd need to run a calling app that can work across iPhone and Android. And it would be best if it's free so that if a contact does not have it I can ask that they install it and it would be at no charge for them.

You can use Google voice for calling and receiving, but you'll need to use an app such as groove IP or something similar so you can use Google voice on wifi. I've heard that may be shutdown sometime in 2014 though. By the way I used my contract Moto X as a wifi only device for weeks before dropping a sim in it; so you don't need a developer edition for this.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae