Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: "only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    This is a bummer because the Moto X is a winner. They need to focus more on the touchless features etc instead of just the moto maker and customization in their ads. But when I think about it i have only seen two in the wild so I know it is a well kept secret among those that know android.

I hope business picks up for the sake of Motorola and my homie in Fort Worth! We do not need to see people getting laid off when they have a superb product!
    I would say it's pretty unrealistic to expect any virgin product to compete with Samsung or Apple and I'd hope Google and Moto are smart enough not to have expectations of sales in that stratosphere. I

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I haven't seen any in the wild
    Haven't seen any Nexus 5s. Only a handful on N4s and HTC Ones.
    iPhones, iPhones everywhere
    I've seen a few, my boss is getting one from Moto Maker on Verizon. She loves mine. A nerd at Target's logistics team let me play with his Nexus 5, only one I've seen. Lately I've been seeing a lot of really old Samsung and Moto phones. Like S2, the original Razr Maxx, one guy even had AT&T service and an Atrix. Silly, poor fool.

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I would say it's pretty unrealistic to expect any virgin product to compete with Samsung or Apple and I'd hope Google and Moto are smart enough not to have expectations of sales in that stratosphere. I
    They (Google) committed 500 MM to ads for the Moto X. Now that it is on MotoMaker for all carriers the advertising blitz with start! I wonder if Schmidt is still carrying a Moto X or if he switched to the Nexus 5?
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

They (Google) committed 500 MM to ads for the Moto X. Now that it is on MotoMaker for all carriers the advertising blitz with start! I wonder if Schmidt is still carrying a Moto X or if he switched to the Nexus 5?
    He has a Moto X for a daily driver and the prototype Kudo for parties.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I've seen a few, my boss is getting one from Moto Maker on Verizon. She loves mine. A nerd at Target's logistics team let me play with his Nexus 5, only one I've seen. Lately I've been seeing a lot of really old Samsung and Moto phones. Like S2, the original Razr Maxx, one guy even had AT&T service and an Atrix. Silly, poor fool.
    Yeah that's weird. I see tons of GS2s and old Moto phones. I see the occasional GS4 but not as much as I'd expect since they "sold 40M"

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Yeah that's weird. I see tons of GS2s and old Moto phones. I see the occasional GS4 but not as much as I'd expect since they "sold 40M"
    oo, I haven't seen a G2 yet other than in the store a couple employees had them.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Another interesting point is that with the Moto X not priced like a Nexus, it's very easy for it to be a money maker. Lets say for example, they cost $200 to make and sell for $600 to keep numbers easy. If they had a total of $1,000,000,000 in sunk costs for this device (the plant, 500 mill advertising, etc), then obviously they'd need to sell 2.5 million units to break even. However much of the R&D budget and other sunk costs can be offset by the Droid line (you could develop the X8 for Droid and then just use it in the X, etc) and the TX plant can be separated because it's useful for future assembly operations.

The BOM already does include some sunk costs (they line item an R&D amount based on a projected sales volume and include it, same thing with manufacturing costs, etc) and so assuming a profit that high isn't wholly unreasonable, especially given the strategy of selling through carriers... because carriers like upgrades, rather than of contract sales. In those cases, every time you gave your $99 to Verizon or AT&T, they paid the delta to Moto by the carrier, less the markup if any, from MSRP.

It's quite possible that the X has a total sales goal of around 1 to 1.5 million by end of life to consider this a break even and successful product launch.
    PP&E are long-term tangible assets, not sunk costs.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    PP&E are long-term tangible assets, not sunk costs.
    True, and I get that on a go forward basis, but for the present the only thing that plant has been used for (that I know of) is for this one device. So while on a P&L from a device standpoint it could be not included or apportioned over the entirety of the business, from Google's standpoint, it'd be easy to associate those costs with their Q2/Q3 expenses relative to Moto Mobility and if we're worried about Google's attitude toward Moto losing money, it's still relevant. PP&E not being referenced at all just lowers the break-even bar in my example, though it's easily possible for this or any other device to break even and for Moto to still lose money over all due to investitures across other areas.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

oo, I haven't seen a G2 yet other than in the store a couple employees had them.
    I haven't seen one of those in the wild. A handful of Note 3s as well.
    I see more iPhones than all of the others combines even though Android has more of the market. Strange, do people with Android phones just hide/not use them? XD

I haven't seen any in the wild
    Haven't seen any Nexus 5s. Only a handful on N4s and HTC Ones.
    iPhones, iPhones everywhere
    I saw one even before i bought my Moto X
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

I see iphones and Galaxies everywhere; S3, S4 and Note Series. I travel a bit and am in many airports. I have been seeing more windows phones also and they often work for MSFT for consult for them.
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I see iphones and Galaxies everywhere; S3, S4 and Note Series. I travel a bit and am in many airports. I have been seeing more windows phones also and they often work for MSFT for consult for them.
    I see more Windows phones than I do GS4/Note 3 O_o GS3s and GS2s are everywhere though

I see S3s everywhere. A few S2s and S4s.
    I've seen a few N4s, HTC ones, and one other Galaxy Nexus

Samsung and iPhone, as far as the eye can see.
    Just ordered via Motomaker!
    Saw my first TV ad Sunday. I believe they are just gearing up.
    planoman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    For those not involved in a production industry, this seems to me to be the Moto factory settling in and matching their staffing to optimized operations. The employees that were let go were temp staff and not "permanent" positions. Our company routinely ramps up for seasonal or large initial efforts using temporary staff to bolster the permanent workforce to ensure that if kinks occur, the staffing can overcome the kinks to avoid delays/service issues. And once it is validated that the kinks/delays are mitigated and things are working fluidly (as designed), the temporary staff is reduced.

The point is...the reduction of temporary staff could mean what the blogger is inferring and the X is not selling as well as expected or, what the blogger didn't consider, the factory is working much more smoothly and much earlier than expected. There really isn't enough public information to tell us which case is accurate.
    Ry likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radgatt View Post
    Do you think that we have been seeing the $500 million marketing budget for this phone in action? I don't think so.

Posted via Android Central App
    I was wondering this myself, I haven't seen a single ad yet on north american TV channels

That's my experience as well, pretty much Galaxies, Notes, and iPhones plus the odd blackberry (which usually end up being because they are company issued). I am hearing quite a bit of interest in Note 3 recently from people I talk to but those people more often than not currently own a Note 1 or 2 and have a reason of some kind for preferring a phablet with stylus rather than a casual smartphone. The Note series will continue to do pretty good I think because Samsung basically has cornered the mindshare for people looking for phablets

Just curious, since you said you see windows phones mostly at airports, are they often europeans? I hear WP does really well in several EU countries.

Motorola isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Googles approach time and time again has been forward thinking. Release and refine. 200m in losses is not putting a dent on Googles bottom line.

It's going to be five years from now when we all begin to post in here how brilliant they (Google & Motorola) played their chips.

Its the cool part about having billions of dollars to blow. You can learn through failure without closing and come back with a new approach (a luxury HTC doesn't have) Eventually you find success.

Posted via Android Central App
    shaytoon21 likes this.

Wasn't the Moto X exclusive to AT&T for a while? It recently came up to Rogers/Fido (where I got mine) and now Verizon.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)

I see more Windows phones than I do GS4/Note 3 O_o GS3s and GS2s are everywhere though
    I ride the bus & train everyday, 2 weeks ago I sat next to a girl using a WP8 phone, first Windows phone I've seen a looooooooooong time, everyone else is either using iPhone or Android variant.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    I was wondering this myself, I haven't seen a single ad yet on north american TV channels

That's my experience as well, pretty much Galaxies, Notes, and iPhones plus the odd blackberry (which usually end up being because they are company issued). I am hearing quite a bit of interest in Note 3 recently from people I talk to but those people more often than not currently own a Note 1 or 2 and have a reason of some kind for preferring a phablet with stylus rather than a casual smartphone. The Note series will continue to do pretty good I think because Samsung basically has cornered the mindshare for people looking for phablets

Just curious, since you said you see windows phones mostly at airports, are they often europeans? I hear WP does really well in several EU countries.
    The windows phones I see are Americans but when I talk to them they often either work for Microsoft or are consultants for Microsoft. They say the WP works well with the computer and surface versions of windows.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

I had a Lumia 1020 for a bit but it was too large and heavy. Thought about the lumia 925 to have that camera but then went with a moto x and nexus 5. WP has some potential with Nokia making the hardware

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

That Motley Fool article is doing *exactly* what the Computerworld blogger said not to do: compare sales of the Moto X to those of the iPhone and Galaxy line...

When you try to measure how Motorola is really doing today with its flagship device, try not to compare it to Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5S. Think about Moto X as a single smartphone which launched in a big, but still only one market, was on sale with 2 carriers for 5 weeks, and with another 2 for 3 weeks. Look how competitors other than Apple and Samsung have done during the same timeframe.

Suddenly that 500 000 Moto X shipped starts looking pretty good, doesn’t it?
    In my opinion, that Motley Fool article is very misleading and ignores many of the salient points brought up in the CW blog, namely the relatively limited release of the Moto X compared to the iPhone and the Galaxies. That's like claiming a Cannes Film Festival winning film in limited release is a flop because it didn't break the box office like the latest Disney Pixar film did.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics; apparently you can add bloggers somewhere in there, too. I honestly would have expected a website that made its name giving out investment advice to do their homework before printing a pile of sensationalist speculative garbage like Motley Fool did.
    shaytoon21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    For those not involved in a production industry, this seems to me to be the Moto factory settling in and matching their staffing to optimized operations. The employees that were let go were temp staff and not "permanent" positions. Our company routinely ramps up for seasonal or large initial efforts using temporary staff to bolster the permanent workforce to ensure that if kinks occur, the staffing can overcome the kinks to avoid delays/service issues. And once it is validated that the kinks/delays are mitigated and things are working fluidly (as designed), the temporary staff is reduced.

The point is...the reduction of temporary staff could mean what the blogger is inferring and the X is not selling as well as expected or, what the blogger didn't consider, the factory is working much more smoothly and much earlier than expected. There really isn't enough public information to tell us which case is accurate.
    Expect the headline in January, "Wal-Mart and Target lay off thousands as sales plummet."

Dennis woodside the CEO of Motorola said at Moto G event that they are seeing a spike in sales when moto maker was made available for all carriers
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The question remains though - how long will Google let Motorola continue to bleed money? Google can afford it but do they want to keep footing the bill? Motorola needs to return to profitability.
    Good question. It's well reported that Google bought MM for its 17,000+ patents and was well prepared for Moto Mobility's hardware business to fail from the getgo (albeit poorly cited/verified lol). Of course, I'm sure they'll give them as much time as shareholder's can stand to become profitable before liquidation or otherwise absorbing MM's remaining assests. I feel they're certainly on the right track with the Moto X and new Droids (and their new budget offering the G). We'll see if enough consumers can be convinced of the same.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by phew View Post
    I think the Moto X was almost intentionally positioned to be a poor seller; high launch price, poor timing (right before new iPhone), AT&T exclusive Moto Maker, etc. If it was $50 on-contract and $400 off-contract to start, with moto maker for everyone from the start, and launched around June, it would have been the sales hit of the year.

They may have wanted to roll out Moto Maker slowly, to get the logistics right. Watch, Moto's next flagship phone will be positioned to sell big from the start.
    I think that is wishful thinking.

And I really think the Moto Maker is being wildly overhyped. Most people just go to a carrier store and get what they have. Why do you think there are so many Pebble Blue VZW GS3s around? Cause towards the end of its lifecycle all Verizon was stocking was Pebble Blue and people got it even if they went there looking for a different color. They didn't decide to get an HTC One or whatever, they still got the GS3 they went to the carrier store to buy.

I do think the Maker is a nice idea, ultimately, but I think people are giving it way too much credit... Samsung doesn't need that to sell 500k phones, nor do they need to price their flagships are $99 on contract (like Nokia did with the L92x series) to sell them.

That phone is selling poorly because the bad things about it aren't minor (like the camera) and the good things about it (like voice controls) simply aren't high up in the list of priorities for the average consumer. Sometimes it's important to get off the tech blogs and actually talk to real people (the ones you don't have a lot of influence over) to see what they thing about these things.

Practically no one cares about the Moto Maker or Voice Controls that I know. All they care about is the fact that it's worse than a GS4 or G2, so they get those devices instead.

Most people don't buy off contract. The subsidy is what matters, and brand recognition.

For those that do like to buy off-contract, there is very little reason to consider this phone over a Nexus 5, Voice Controls or not. Money talks, and the price disparity is too large given how much better the Nexus is in a number of ways.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast