"only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

Motorola Plans Low-Cost Phone - Digits - WSJ

According to research firm Strategy Analytics, roughly 500,000 Moto X phones were sold in the third quarter, after the phone was released in August. By comparison, Samsung said it sold more than 10 million Galaxy S4 phones within a month of its April release.

Curious to see how well the 2013 DROID line is doing over at Verizon. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more DROIDs sold.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: "only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

I'm sure the sales paled in comparison to Samsung, but I have to wonder if their number they used for Samsung April sales was worldwide or US only.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Wow. Weren't they shipping like 100,000 a week a couple months ago? I agree that the Droid sells more, they're like higher-spec Moto Xs...

To be fair, third quarter is usually July/August/September. IIRC, none of the carriers sold the phone for two months in that third quarter.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Droid line sold better than the X. If I were on Verizon, I'd get the Ultra or the Maxx over the Moto X. Bigger screen and the red woven Ultra looks better than any of the Moto X colors IMO.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

To be fair, third quarter is usually July/August/September. IIRC, none of the carriers sold the phone for two months in that third quarter.
Still only 500,000 in a month. Do you know how much they have sold in total?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Droid line sold better than the X. If I were on Verizon, I'd get the Ultra or the Maxx over the Moto X. Bigger screen and the red woven Ultra looks better than any of the Moto X colors IMO.

Not to mention Verizon's DROID marketing is much more effective.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Pretty skewed statistics considering:

- The phone was released in late August (Q3 ends in September)
- It was only released in North America.
- Motomaker was an AT&T exclusive until yesterday.
- It wasn't marketed heavily until recently.

We'll see what the year-end sales reports have to say.

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Pretty skewed statistics considering:

- The phone was released in late August (Q3 ends in September)
- It was only released in North America.
- Motomaker was an AT&T exclusive until this yesterday.
- It wasn't marketed heavily until recently.

We'll see what the year-end sales reports have to say.

Not to mention it had to compete with the iPhone launch during September.

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Moto isn't like HTC, where they needed a massive sales hit to avoid going under. Google pays their bills now, and they seem to have carte blanche to go after Apple's model (focus on the "user experience" instead of specs). The Moto X was just their first attempt, and I predict it will only get better from here. I don't see myself buying any phones other than Moto or Nexus in the near future.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Moto isn't like HTC, where they needed a massive sales hit to avoid going under. Google pays their bills now, and they seem to have carte blanche to go after Apple's model (focus on the "user experience" instead of specs). The Moto X was just their first attempt, and I predict it will only get better from here. I don't see myself buying any phones other than Moto or Nexus in the near future.

The question remains though - how long will Google let Motorola continue to bleed money? Google can afford it but do they want to keep footing the bill? Motorola needs to return to profitability.

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

The question remains though - how long will Google let Motorola continue to bleed money? Google can afford it but do they want to keep footing the bill? Motorola needs to return to profitability.

I think the Moto X was almost intentionally positioned to be a poor seller; high launch price, poor timing (right before new iPhone), AT&T exclusive Moto Maker, etc. If it was $50 on-contract and $400 off-contract to start, with moto maker for everyone from the start, and launched around June, it would have been the sales hit of the year.

They may have wanted to roll out Moto Maker slowly, to get the logistics right. Watch, Moto's next flagship phone will be positioned to sell big from the start.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't know that Motorola ever has to see a profit for Google to keep them around. Google is such a large company that research and work being done at Motorola can benefit Google's other branches. That doesn't translate into a direct Motorola profit, but gives Google a reason to keep them around.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't know that Motorola ever has to see a profit for Google to keep them around. Google is such a large company that research and work being done at Motorola can benefit Google's other branches. That doesn't translate into a direct Motorola profit, but gives Google a reason to keep them around.

But every other Android phone running Google's services benefits Google.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

But every other Android phone running Google's services benefits Google.

I'm not talking just from increased Android market share. I'm talking features Motorola developes making their way to the Android team, their set top box expertise going ot Android TV, Always Listening being used to improve Google's voice search, and things like that.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I asked the a guy in Sprint how it was selling, he said, "not great, people just go directly to the iPhone or samsung". For some reason it reminds me of when you see 2 lines in a store and one is extremely long and one is quite short. Lol. Derp.

Last edited:

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Have to be careful when you compare the Moto X to the market leaders sales volumes. How it's assembled (in Ft Worth at the old Nokia plant and "on demand" for all MotoMaker units) doesn't really lend itself to coming out and selling millions of units in the first month(s) out of the gate. I would imagine that sales/shipments might not be what they hoped, but it's probably not that far off from what they engineered it to be when they made the decisions about where, how, and when to build the phones.

If Apple and Samsung aren't stockpiling inventory for months leading up to a release of a new phone, they aren't selling multiple millions of units in the first quarter either.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Motorola Plans Low-Cost Phone - Digits - WSJ

Curious to see how well the 2013 DROID line is doing over at Verizon. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more DROIDs sold.

well, motorola only had droid lines as flagship device before Moto X and that was the money maker for motorola.
so this 500k unit is added revenue for Motorola.

- 500k sold in 40 days Q3 is not that bad.
- people were waiting for a price drop which happened in October(Q4). I bought it on October when the price dropped.
- many waiting for MotoMaker which happened this month. so there will be another sales boost
- so Q4 the sale could be close to 2 million.
- not to mention Moto G which is international version

over all i think its good for Motorola. I think Motorola will turn profit Q4

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Do you think that we have been seeing the $500 million marketing budget for this phone in action? I don't think so.

Posted via Android Central App