My MotoMaker Experience + Day 1 with Moto X on Verizon

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So, after reading lots and lots of reviews over the last few months, and after initially saying the Moto X was DOA due to its high price, I decided to purchase a MotoMaker Moto X as soon as it was available for Verizon. So, yesterday morning, I watched for its availability like a hawk. At 10:39 AM, I placed my off-contract order for a Black Weave back, Black Front, Blue Accent, 32 GB Moto X. Total price paid: $582.99. My delivery date was estimated for Friday, November 15th.

I received an email saying my order was being built early yesterday afternoon. When I woke up this morning (Tuesday), I found I had a shipping confirmation. My device had been picked up in Ft. Worth at 6:29 PM Monday evening (less than 8 hours after being ordered). It was finally delivered to my office today around 12:30 PM, just over a day later. That's right. My device was assembled and shipped from Texas to Michigan in 26 hours. Hello, Moto! Device was shipped in a medium FedEx box, FedEx Standard Overnight. Inside was my Moto X box, my free Skip accessory, and a bunch of packing air bags. Outside of the box had a packing slip. It's sitting downstairs still in the sleeve, but I imagine it was just a order confirmation/receipt, basically. It was turned inside out and not visible to anyone without being opened first.

Anyways, stupid me didn't read the included booklet that said "read me before powering on your phone bla bla bla," so I looked around at my off-contract device and assumed there was no included SIM card. I felt like an ***** a few minutes later at the Verizon store when the rep popped the drawer open with the SIM tool and behold - my nano SIM card sat right there (which I would have known had I of read the booklet first...). Anyways, the rep activated my new SIM card, and I was good to go.

So: First impressions over the last 8 hours...

1. Holy s***, blue accents are incredible. I mean, really - MotoMaker's online creation system just does not do this color justice. It's not metallic blue - the accents are Sexy Blue. Nothing else will do this color justice. It's a real shame that hardly anyone has bothered to post any pictures of their phones here, and the ones we've seen have been some really, really weird color phones (no offense guys, but just because you can get an orange phone doesn't mean you should). Unfortunately, this color really doesn't photograph super well - you have to hit it with light just right. The colors in these photos are very, very close to the actual color, I think. It's just a shame that my old GNex's camera is so terrible. Also, the yellow light in my room is pretty awful. But anyways, feast your eyes on these:

MoHcnNd.jpg MqpJQsj.jpg

I mean... that color is gorgeous. "Metallic" is pretty accurate though. Think about the way that car paint shines in the sunlight. This is exactly what the metallic accents are. And that rocks.

2. The black weave back isn't as textured as I had expected. There's no slightly rough texture or anything. And quite frankly, I'm happy about that. The black weave looked better and higher quality, but I was afraid it was going to feel weird. Nope. Feels great. Honestly, if you weren't looking at it, you wouldn't know it was a weave of any sort. Thumbs up here, Moto.

3. FINALLY, MOTO RADIOS. I understood after awhile that Samsung's radios in the Galaxy Nexus were pure garbage. I saw lots of posts saying that Moto radios were so much better, and I believed them. I finally got to experience that firsthand today, and I am so very, very happy. Unfortunately, most people posting radio comparisons really don't include any other information, so those posts are basically worthless. While I was not able to monitor dBm readings on my drive home, I can give a bit of anecdotal evidence with a picture.

d8FeIW6.png

Above is the area between Flint and Lansing, Michigan, the route I take every day to work. This was one of the last highway areas in lower Michigan to be completely covered by LTE, with this happening sometime earlier this Spring. 3G along this route is almost unusable - only a few of the cell towers that you connect to along the way are anywhere near the highway, so you were usually at fringe coverage, with no usable signal. On weaker phones (read: GNex), there was one area where even voice service would drop from time to time. The 4G rollout was BADLY needed for this route. While the 4G signal is weak in most places, it's usable. With my Galaxy Nexus, I would lose 4G in the areas circled in red on the map. My phone would fall back to 0 or 1 bar of 3G, resulting in a pause in streaming music. Additionally, once I returned to a 4G coverage area, my phone would often just start streaming on a weak 3G signal, and then refuse to move to the 4G network until I ended my data transfer. Stupid.

The Moto X? Yeah, 4G all the way. No interrupted streaming in those circled areas. Motorola radios are the real deal, plain and simple. Samsung's radios are garbage, nothing more.

4. Battery life: Unfortunately, I can't really comment on this yet. I'm hoping to drain the battery most of the way a couple of times to let the battery stats calibrate a little better. My phone dropped from 100% to 93% in 43 minutes earlier with only half of that being screen-on. I'm a little worried about that, but I'm willing to bet that has to do with inaccurate battery reporting on a brand new battery. Here's hoping, anyways.

5. Touchless Controls - For the life of me, I *could not* get touchless controls to work properly early. I would say "Navigate to _______" and I would just get a Google Search. This was the case again and again and again. I found another thread suggesting that Google Now Location Permissions needed to be allowed for that to work. I double checked all my permissions and everything was allowed, but I prohibited them and then allowed them all again. Now, "Navigate to _________" works fine. No problems in this department anymore, just something strange initially.

6. I was streaming Google Music and using Navigation earlier, and the phone locked up on me. The music streaming continued. Navigation voice stopped mid-sentence. Screen froze while on. I had to do a hard reset on the phone. That's simply unacceptable. It's a darn good thing I did all my research on this phone before buying it, and luckily I knew how to do a hard reset (hold power+volume up+volume down for ~10 seconds). Otherwise, I would have been SOL. These are the sorts of problems that need to be avoided if you want to market these sorts of phones to the masses. There's no way the hipsters that Moto has been marketing this phone to like crazy would have known what to do.

7. Active Notifications are sweet - pure and simple. The only thing is that the phone is really sensitive to any movements. I'm sitting on my bed, and as I'm typing, my phone is resting on my bed up against my leg. The vibrations from the typing on my laptop going through my leg are enough to activate the active notifications every so often. That's really, really sensitive, and can get a little annoying. I guess I could turn my phone upside down, but... eh. Oh well. Not a big issue, really, and I'm sure many people will view this as a positive. :)

8. Size and weight compared to the Galaxy Nexus - It's funny, this phone is actually smaller than the Galaxy Nexus, yet the screen is larger. Pretty crazy, and while I'm sure I read about this before, you don't really appreciate it until you have the two devices in your hands to compare them. The feel of the Moto X is incredible. It's lighter than a Galaxy Nexus with the extended battery, but it feels higher-quality, like it's more dense. It's hard to explain, but the feel of the device and its weight is perfect. Size? Perfect. Motorola clearly did some testing here to find the right size for this device. They really did hit the sweet spot.

9. That dimple in the middle of the back of the phone? I keep reading that people rest their fingers there. How in the world are you guys holding your phones? There is no way for me to put my finger there in any sort of natural position. I'm so confused about that.

10. The display - I'm realizing now how yellow the Galaxy Nexus display was. The Moto X's is beautiful. I'm afraid to even power on my Droid 1 now, because it looked really yellow compared to the GNex, haha!

11. The UI - this thing flies. Forget a quad core processor. I can't get this thing to lag or stutter. This is how Android should be - unlike my GNex toward the 2-year mark. :(

12. I'm sure the anti-Verizon people will hate me for this, but... I really like Verizon's 4G LTE logo in the status bar. It looks cool, especially in that blue color. It's also a lot easier to see from a distance, so when you're driving, it's a lot easier to tell if you're on 4G or 3G versus the tiny icon on the GNex.

13. As a note: My device came with the latest software update (camera patch) already installed.

14. Speakers - A few others have commented on this. The speaker on the Moto X is awesome. It sounds phenomenal.

15. Camera quick-twist - I don't understand how reviewers had so much trouble getting this to work. I can get it to work every time without fail. It's all in the wrists, baby. ;)

16. Vibration motor - This seems to have been a complaint of a lot of people. I have no problems with it at all. It's different than any other device that I've had, but I like it.

So, I think that's it for now. If anyone has any questions I can answer, fire away. For anyone contemplating a purchase... while I've only had the phone for half a day, I'd say go for it... if only for the Sexy Blue accents. :D

My last Motorola device was the Motorola Droid. And I am so very, very happy to be back in the Moto family. I had a Thunderbolt - low build quality, awful battery life, and it was just a terrible device all around. I next went to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Terrible radios, terrible battery life. I bought a GSM one to use while overseas for a year. That one was a little better, but not much. I am SO ready to enjoy a quality Motorola device again. I will never buy another HTC device. I will never buy another Samsung device. Hello again, Moto.

Attachments

• MqpJQsj.jpg
    MqpJQsj.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
**** you man, you're making this wait so much harder! :)

I ordered mine at 2:57 PM yesterday and got the email telling me that it was being assembled just a few hours later at 5:36 PM. Since then there have been no updates and I even called in to have them check on my order status for me and no dice. Hasn't shipped yet, so there goes me hoping it'd be here tomorrow (although I have read that some reviewers ordered their Moto X's through MotoMaker and it was delivered before it even said it shipped so maybe mine did ship? Just gotta have faith!).

You got the exact same color combo as me and are probably the first person to post pictures of that combo, so thanks for that. It looks stunning, by the way! So friggin excited to get mine now. Please post an update tomorrow with some more battery life info. Everyone says its good so far, so hopefully after a full discharge and full recharge it'll be functioning normally. My cousin just returned his Nexus 5 because of the **** poor battery life and is ordering a Moto X tonight. Also, one thing I completely agree with you on is the camera twist gesture. I played with the Moto X at Best Buy and was able to get the camera to open every single time with no problems, so I don't know why reviewers were having such a difficult time getting it to work.

Thanks for the quick mini-review, it was a great read!

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
**** you man, you're making this wait so much harder! :)

I ordered mine at 2:57 PM yesterday and got the email telling me that it was being assembled just a few hours later at 5:36 PM. Since then there have been no updates and I even called in to have them check on my order status for me and no dice. Hasn't shipped yet, so there goes me hoping it'd be here tomorrow (although I have read that some reviewers ordered their Moto X's through MotoMaker and it was delivered before it even said it shipped so maybe mine did ship? Just gotta have faith!).

You got the exact same color combo as me and are probably the first person to post pictures of that combo, so thanks for that. It looks stunning, by the way! So friggin excited to get mine now. Please post an update tomorrow with some more battery life info. Everyone says its good so far, so hopefully after a full discharge and full recharge it'll be functioning normally. My cousin just returned his Nexus 5 because of the **** poor battery life and is ordering a Moto X tonight. Also, one thing I completely agree with you on is the camera twist gesture. I played with the Moto X at Best Buy and was able to get the camera to open every single time with no problems, so I don't know why reviewers were having such a difficult time getting it to work.

Thanks for the quick mini-review, it was a great read!

If your device was being built yesterday evening, then I'd say you're almost guaranteed that it was shipped out this evening. As I said, I got my shipping email after midnight, though my tracking number indicated the package had been shipped earlier that evening. So, I'd expect an email overnight if I were you.

And you guys are welcome for the review. Reading anything and everything I could kept me going these past few weeks, haha. I'm just happy I can provide some reading material for others. :)

I'll be sure to update on battery life too. Here are some screens of what I've got right now. Nothing impressive at this point, but it's still early.

Linking these, since they're big.
http://i.imgur.com/7mXxiaw.png
http://i.imgur.com/1FenU7Y.png
http://i.imgur.com/P9HTDzO.png

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Pretty quick assembly and shipping.

Posted via Android Central App

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Pretty quick assembly and shipping.

Yeah. I was very, very surprised by that. I purposely got my order in ASAP because I wanted to have a device with better battery life for this Friday (bar night) than my Galaxy Nexus, and I was afraid my device might not make it in time. Happy to say that won't be a problem. :D

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
That was a very nice and thorough write-up. Thanks for that. I've been enjoying my plain black X since launch day on Verizon. Ordered a turquoise/black/orange accent model for my wife yesterday. I'm jealous that I couldn't get the custom job two months ago but I simply couldn't wait to ditch the POS GNex for the same radio/battery issue you described. The X is a very, very nice phone.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I created an account on fedex.com some other time to do custom delivery options and I signed up for text notifications for all packages coming to my address. So, I got a text late afternoon today with the tracking number saying it shipped, and I logged into fedex and saw it got picked up from fort worth at 5:14pm today and tonight it left the fedex facility. I just now logged into motorola.com and my order still says not shipped. So clearly motorola is behind with the updates.

sc4fpse, I am glad you mentioned they shipped with latest software update. I was going to ask that. And I am glad you like the blue since I got the same thing. It's going to be a shame the case will cover the buttons. I just think I like that type of case but we'll see how it goes. I think I will temporarily get the verizon glossy silicone case because I won't get the one I ordered from amazon for another week - the supcase unicorn beetle hybrid (what a weird name) with clear back.

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I created an account on fedex.com some other time to do custom delivery options and I signed up for text notifications for all packages coming to my address. So, I got a text late afternoon today with the tracking number saying it shipped, and I logged into fedex and saw it got picked up from fort worth at 5:14pm today and tonight it left the fedex facility. I just now logged into motorola.com and my order still says not shipped. So clearly motorola is behind with the updates.

sc4fpse, I am glad you mentioned they shipped with latest software update. I was going to ask that. And I am glad you like the blue since I got the same thing. It's going to be a shame the case will cover the buttons. I just think I like that type of case but we'll see how it goes. I think I will temporarily get the verizon glossy silicone case because I won't get the one I ordered from amazon for another week - the supcase unicorn beetle hybrid (what a weird name) with clear back.

I tried to do the same thing, but since I'm in college I had to get it shipped to my dorm and it doesn't let you receive notifications for commercial addresses, so I can't check. :/

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the nice write-up. The blue accents look nice, maybe a little too bright for my liking, though. We'll see how bright the orange accents are for me! Can't wait to receive mine...it was being built Monday evening so it should ship sometime tomorrow to be here for Friday.

Quick question: What process did you use to transfer over the data in your apps? I usually use Titanium Backup but rooting the VZW X seems like a pain-in-the-****. I'm curious if you used another method like Helium to transfer over your app data.

Thanks!

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
If your device was being built yesterday evening, then I'd say you're almost guaranteed that it was shipped out this evening. As I said, I got my shipping email after midnight, though my tracking number indicated the package had been shipped earlier that evening. So, I'd expect an email overnight if I were you.

And you guys are welcome for the review. Reading anything and everything I could kept me going these past few weeks, haha. I'm just happy I can provide some reading material for others. :)

I'll be sure to update on battery life too. Here are some screens of what I've got right now. Nothing impressive at this point, but it's still early.

1 hr screen time at 39%, that is unusually low. especially since screen time is your #1 power drainer. I usually am at 3h+ screen time at that percentage. You might want to check if something is sucking that battery.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
1 hr screen time at 39%, that is unusually low. especially since screen time is your #1 power drainer. I usually am at 3h+ screen time at that percentage. You might want to check if something is sucking that battery.

Let's also take into account that the phone is brand new and is probably settling in with the battery. But I do agree...if that continues, it may be an issue with the phone.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Looking at his signal quality graph he's only getting green levels maybe 25% of the time. I'm thinking it's low signal strength not anything else contributing to his of battery numbers.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the nice write-up. The blue accents look nice, maybe a little too bright for my liking, though. We'll see how bright the orange accents are for me! Can't wait to receive mine...it was being built Monday evening so it should ship sometime tomorrow to be here for Friday.

Quick question: What process did you use to transfer over the data in your apps? I usually use Titanium Backup but rooting the VZW X seems like a pain-in-the-****. I'm curious if you used another method like Helium to transfer over your app data.

Thanks!

Good Q. When I finally get my X I don't think I'll be rooting. At least anytime soon. Thinking I might start fresh without restoring any data, but the option would be nice. Maybe MyBackup Pro?

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Good Q. When I finally get my X I don't think I'll be rooting. At least anytime soon. Thinking I might start fresh without restoring any data, but the option works be nice. Maybe MyBackup Pro?

I have MyBackup Pro and unfortunately it seems like it will only backup app APKs and not the data. It'll only do data if your phone has root. :( Helium can be a pain but I think that's what I'll have to use to transfer over some of my apps' data.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I had a moto x and sold it for the nexus 5, but I'm going to return the nexus 5 for the X again. I'm holding out for the wood backs, but depending when they are released this color combo is what I have been wanting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

I did not transfer any application settings, actually. The only apps I had that really needed to be set up were K-9 Mail (One single IMAP email - took 30 seconds), Facebook, Sensorly, and VK. Anything else just required a one-time login - no big deal. Aside from Jewels, I don't really play many games on my phone, so no saved progress or anything like that to worry about.

The only things I did do were let Google pull all my contacts from the cloud - nothing I had to do manually - and then backup my SMS messages from my GNex and restore them on my Moto X. I was going to do that using a bluetooth file transfer app, but my Galaxy Nexus would not cooperate with Bluetooth (old ROM on it, probably the reason why), so I just uploaded the file to Google Docs and downloaded it on my X. Not a problem there.

Checked - nothing strange seemed to be sucking it dry. Much of that screen-on time was GPS navigation, though, and I did have auto brightness on, which I have read is overkill for the X. Additionally, there was that sudden drop in battery early on - that was when my phone froze and I had to reboot. Looks like I lost upwards of 5% right there, leading me to believe that the battery isn't properly calibrated yet.

Let's also take into account that the phone is brand new and is probably settling in with the battery. But I do agree...if that continues, it may be an issue with the phone.

Hopefully its newness is the issue and nothing more. Fingers crossed.

Looking at his signal quality graph he's only getting green levels maybe 25% of the time. I'm thinking it's low signal strength not anything else contributing to his of battery numbers.

That's Michigan for you. Not enough cell towers. Seriously. But hopeful that isn't going to keep me from getting a day's worth of battery life on my X. That would be really, really unfortunate. At the office here, I usually hover between -95 dBm and -105 dBm, likewise at home.

Anyways, I'm at 76% right now with 5.5 hours on battery. That seems a little better, though that's only with 35 minutes of screen-on. I did stream di.FM music from Flint to Lansing this morning though, about a 40-mile drive. Once again, I didn't lose 4G at all, including into East Lansing, which was VERY surprising to me, since it was like a patchwork quilt in there before with the GNex. I am SO very impressed by these radios.

Battery Screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/OaUqgbp.png
http://i.imgur.com/FvczRny.png
http://i.imgur.com/5CYj7yg.png

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Still no shipping notification or anything even though I ordered it on Monday. I think Motorola is just behind with updating their order status as I had it set to be shipped to my dorm at college and my name is on the mailroom board, and I don't remember seeing it there yesterday. Going to check it after class, but I'm really hoping it's my Moto X! It's either that, or the Moto X case, although Amazon says it hasn't been delivered yet. Here's hoping! I'll update when I go check my mail to see if it's what I'm hoping it is.

Edit: Nevermind. My name was on the mailroom board by accident. I have no new mail. :(

Last edited:

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

The orange is much darker than Moto maker's renders. Soon as I saw it in the store I knew I had to have it.

Sent via my Moto X

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384368587278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384368587278.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 259

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz