Moto X via Republic Wireless = $299 contract free w/ unlimited plans ranging between $5/mo to $40/mo

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
$299 for a Moto X contract free? Are you kidding me? :confused:

Not only do you get a Moto X for an amazing price, but they also offer plans as low as $5/month based on your usage needs.

$5/mo = Unlimited wifi calling and texts
$10/mo = Unlimited wifi/3G calling and texts
$25/mo = Unlimited wifi/3G calling, texts, and data
$40/mo = Unlimited wifi/3G/4G calling, texts, and data

The only drawback for some, depending on their location, is that Republic Wireless uses the Sprint network for cellular service. For those who live in a bad Sprint area this drawback is somewhat mitigated though by the fact that Republic Wireless enhances all their phones with the ability to make calls and send texts via wifi (as well as 3G), so either you live in a metro area with good Sprint coverage or you have wifi at your home and work for good coverage.

Anyone out there planning on jumping on board later this month when Republic Wireless starts selling the Moto X?

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Heres also a good article I found on the subject:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...reless-moto-x/
Over the weekend I was able to put the Moto X through some preliminary paces. Though I did encounter a few bumps along the way, I was ultimately left with one conclusion: This is a game-changer.
In terms of pure bang for the buck, no major carrier offers anything close. (No smaller carrier does, either.) This is one cheapskate who's looking forward to a much lower monthly bill -- and a state-of-the-art phone.

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Moto G came out, I'm not sure which one I like more :confused:

Anyone have a preference between the two? Moto X for $299 on Republic Wireless or Moto G for $199 (16gb) on any carrier?

Decisions decisions...

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is a much better phone. The Moto G might just be THE phone for the budget conscious who wants to be contract free but I think it will be a poor choice for anyone looking for better performance than a few basic apps.

Still, the G has my attention. I think it'll be my recommendation for my parents. They don't need super sophisticated but my dad needs email and my mom needs her shopping apps. The G should be perfect for that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was seriously tempted by this. It would be a $600 initial investment for me (2 lines), but it would cut my monthly bill fromt $110 a month to $50 a month if I went with the no WiFi/3G $25 a month plan. I could have sold my One and my wife's iPhone for enough to cover our ETFs. It would have taken 10 months to recoup the initial investment on the Moto X's, but it would have been all gravy from there. I just couldn't live with Sprint 3G service though, that is the deal breaker here for me. It is so slow. If I bumped up to the WiFi/3G/4G plan, I'm only saving $30 a month, it takes me 20 months to recoup the cost of the two Moto Xs, and I still have to deal with Sprint 3G when I'm somewhere they don't have LTE. When I was only going to be profitting for 4 months and I'd only end up saving $120 over 2 years, which works out to $5 a month, it wasn't worth it to me. If you are someone who is okay with Sprint 3G speeds though, this becomes a much more tempting plan. I paid $20 for my Moto X (off contract thanks to Best Buy's screw up) and selling my wife's last iPhone paid for her current one and then some (on an early upgrade even), and as I said, that money would have gone to ETFs, not the new Moto X's for Republic. I'm on a family plan with some relatives (5 lines total), so I only pay $110 a month for unlimited talk and text with 10 GB to share, and only two of us really use data.

Now that the Moto G came out, I'm not sure which one I like more :confused:

Anyone have a preference between the two? Moto X for $299 on Republic Wireless or Moto G for $199 (16gb) on any carrier?

Decisions decisions...

This is both an easy call and a touch call. It is easy to look at the two phones and say, "Moto X, duh." But Sprint 3G sevice on Republic could be a deal breaker for many (like me). And as I said above, if you choose the 4G service, you really aren't saving that much money. So, if you take the 3G plan from Republic so that you are saving significant amounts of money, the Moto X's advantage of LTE is dropped. That leaves you with a large screen, touchless control, active notifications, customizability (Republic does not have Moto Maker), and better processor/RAM as the key advantages. Over on the Moto G, you'll get faster data speeds, a lower upfront cost, and carrier portability. Suddenly, the question isn't so easy to answer. Yes, Republic is cheaper at $25 a month, but you can get Straight Talk on the G for $45 a month for unlimited everything and have significantly better coverage (AT&T) and data speeds (HSPA+ vs EvDO). Not a heavy caller? Go with the T-Mobile $30 a month plan. Unlimited data (5 GB at 4G), unlimited text, 100 minutes. I'd almost rather have the Moto G on AT&T or T-Mobile than the X on Republic/Sprint. That said, the ideal (though admittedly more expensive) option would be the X on AT&T or T-Mobile.

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
has anybody signed up for this on LTE around the Houston area? this sounds too good of a deal to pass up, but all i read about online is how bad the coverage is. granted, i'll be on WIFI most of the day, but i do venture out time to time and want to use LTE since i'll be paying for it.

kaiser10123

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey looking to get the Moto x on republic its 309 shipped I just ordered 2 att Moto x I'm getting later this week from the dell glitch I'll sell one white att 16gb Moto x now for 310 by PayPal and send as soon as I have this week, trying to get money now to order republic one as I will be out a cell to use this week and want to order phone before I can get a resell Moto x phone this week

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in NYC, and I'm just hoping sprint isn't *** here. I just tested it in my house (my father still has sprint) and I got faster speeds on my n4 on t-mobile indoors (which is t-mo's weakspot) so i'm not feeling very confident. Thankfully, I have 30 days to return it if sprint is too bad to use. I just really want a moto x.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had my RW Moto X for a couple days now. Unfortunately, it came the same day as my wife's VZW MX got upgraded to 4.4, so it feels ancient right out of the box. I have no problems with the service so far. I'm testing it out on the $10/month plan, so I have used calls while out and about, but not getting any cellular data. I've been okay with that, so far. I feel I can wait until I get to my destination to do anything with data. When Sprint rolls out good LTE to the Twin Cities area, I will certainly change over to the $40/month plan to briefly check it out.

I really like the idea of RW and really want to support them through this early adopter phase. Seems like the perfect company for Google to buy out and use as a Google Voice provider for those of us who want to live on wifi.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying it out, and so far I like it. Problem is, they won't be updating the moto x until "early 2014." As a nexus 4 user, updates are important to me, and waiting that long for big updates like kitkat as well as smaller updates will kill me. Especially once the Moto X2 comes out and the og moto x gets put in the back seat. That, on top of the fact that I really want a wood version and the fact that this phone will have like zero resale value means I'll be sending it back. Republic wireless just isn't for me it seems. Great for people who are fine with waiting for updates and plan on keeping their phone for a while (2-3 years or so), but not for a user like me.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Very very well put and sums up my feelings almost to a tee.

I REALLY wanted this to be perfect for me, but knowing I'll be on 4.2 until sometime in 2014 is unacceptable. I imagine I'll end up keeping the N5 and using the TMo $30/month plan with talkatone backup for minutes until Google gets around to giving us the Google Voice/Hangouts integration that iOS users are enjoying...

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Very very well put and sums up my feelings almost to a tee.

I REALLY wanted this to be perfect for me, but knowing I'll be on 4.2 until sometime in 2014 is unacceptable. I imagine I'll end up keeping the N5 and using the TMo $30/month plan with talkatone backup for minutes until Google gets around to giving us the Google Voice/Hangouts integration that iOS users are enjoying...

I'm not feeling the Nexus 5. I'm not sure if you have tried the Moto X or not (sounds like you have), but I seriously don't want to go back to a bigger phone. I LOVE the design! The smaller overall size (especially width) and the nice curvy back make this phone a joy to hold. I'm not going to like going back to my Nexus 4 (and the N5 has damn near the same dimensions). Also, I've fallen in love with the AMOLED Display. I can't talk about the N5 and it's 1080p IPS Display, but I have a hard time believing it'll be as saturated and good to look at as as the Moto X (I'm sure it's sharper, but I wonder how noticeable it would be). At the very least I hope it's better than the washed out display on my N4 (compared to the Moto X that is).

For me, I'll be waiting for the wood back moto x like I originally planned. I'll probably get that before the Republic wireless Moto x gets kitkat lol. But I'm glad i tried it, now I KNOW I want the Moto X and that republic isn't for me (but it is for a lot of other people).

Tech First

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Been loving my RW moto X so far... I actually get some nice 4G speeds in my area and the Moto X is just AWESOME. seriously a nice phone, it pushes the size range I wanted but I'm managing ok. LOVE the soft touch back and the black weave is really attractive in a subtle sort of way. The little Motorola dimple in the back was a genius move too. Not sure I would like a wood back tbh. Sure it would look cool but wood doesn't feel nearly as nice as this soft touch plastic. plus it would get tacky if you held it a while just from your perspiration.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not feeling the Nexus 5. I'm not sure if you have tried the Moto X or not (sounds like you have), but I seriously don't want to go back to a bigger phone. I LOVE the design! The smaller overall size (especially width) and the nice curvy back make this phone a joy to hold. I'm not going to like going back to my Nexus 4 (and the N5 has damn near the same dimensions). Also, I've fallen in love with the AMOLED Display. I can't talk about the N5 and it's 1080p IPS Display, but I have a hard time believing it'll be as saturated and good to look at as as the Moto X (I'm sure it's sharper, but I wonder how noticeable it would be). At the very least I hope it's better than the washed out display on my N4 (compared to the Moto X that is).

For me, I'll be waiting for the wood back moto x like I originally planned. I'll probably get that before the Republic wireless Moto x gets kitkat lol. But I'm glad i tried it, now I KNOW I want the Moto X and that republic isn't for me (but it is for a lot of other people).

I'm currently carrying a Nexus 5 and Moto X (RW version) with me to see which I prefer. And you're right - the Moto X is the better phone. Not only design but I actually think the screen is better. And everyone I show them to agrees. It gets better battery life, and just feels much more solid overall.

HOWEVER - even the Moto X 4.4 versions are getting the shaft on some of my FAVORITE features of the Nexus 5 - the GEL, and the Google Searching Dialer. I feel like when I get rid of the Nexus 5, I'll really miss some of the features. What I won't miss will be T Mobile's horrible plan options and bottom-of-the-barrel customer service. Ick.

I'd love to consider a Moto Maker version of the Moto X but I just am too in love with not having a contract (it allows me to do things like carry around an N5 and a Moto X at the same time) and I don't want to pay their full retail price when the N5 is <$400 or the RW MX is <$300.

Hell - after today's news I'd consider a Moto G if the VZW version was being sold. $200 and I don't need to sign a new contract? Sign me up!

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hell - after today's news I'd consider a Moto G if the VZW version was being sold. $200 and I don't need to sign a new contract? Sign me up!

If you are ok with AT&T service you could always go no contract on GoPhone. Same ATT coverage area but at 60% of the monthly price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781