Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default KitKat in the coming weeks

So at the Moto G event, it was announced that the Moto X would get KitKat in the coming weeks. If this is true, it's really good to see Moto backing up the talk they did about speedy updates.

Posted via Android Central App
    Current Devices: OnePlus One, Note 4, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: KitKat in the coming weeks

Woo hoo!!!!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Get ready for the bitter owners of pre Google owned Motorola services to come in and tell us how this won't happen..

Still waiting on their HDs to get updated from 4.1. Haha

radgatt and tdizzel like this.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    Get ready for the bitter owners of pre Google owned Motorola services to come in and tell us how this won't happen..

They will also be complaining that their Razr's and Atrix's are not getting the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Well, I'll believe it when Verizon approves it :-(

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    H2o and mhettrich like this.

Rest assured, Verizon is vigorously certifying 4.4 to be sure critical apps like VZNavigator will work for all of us.
    Thanked by 2:
    bd1212, kalex, der00 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhettrich View Post
    So at the Moto G event, it was announced that the Moto X would get KitKat in the coming weeks. If this is true, it's really good to see Moto backing up the talk they did about speedy updates.
    Is "coming weeks" any change to what we already expected.

I'm not saying it won't happen. Motorola even with the Razr HD was quicker to get out updates than previous devices in their history. I know not to expect an update the following for any manufacturer especially being on Verizon. My question is will they continue to support the device after a year? That's when things really seem to slow down and/or drop off completely.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by nemov View Post
    Hearing Motorola acknowledge it again certainly makes me feel better about the chances of it actually happening within that time period.

Retired Devices: HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G3, Moto X, Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict
    paisley99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nemov View Post
    yup, we expected it to be "coming month" but "coming weeks" sound a lot better
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    mhettrich and paisley99 like this.

I had the Verizon Moto X a few months back before I returned it. During that time, I signed up to be part of Motorola's soak tests. I just received a Soak test email for the Moto X today. Could this be the Kit Kat update?

I just got an invite to another software test - probably 4.4 wouldn't you think?

Guys, these are suppose to be confidential don't you know. But yeah I just got the invite as well. You would have to think that it's 4.4 which means maybe the update to everyone isn't too far off.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Based upon the update for the camera/call drop, the actual soak test begins 1 week after the emails are dispatched. Seeing this is a larger software upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised if the soak test lasts at least 1 week before going out to the masses.

It is definitely good that there is information being released about a pending update if it fact this is 4.4. The Nexus 5 and Kit Kat were announced not 2 weeks ago. The N7 and N10 tablets are just beginning to get 4.4 with the N4 to follow soon.

Quote Originally Posted by grooks View Post
    They will also be complaining that their Razr's and Atrix's are not getting the update.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I had an Atrix 4G before switching to the Moto X. To be fair, Motorola acted like Lucy in the Peanut cartoons. They promised an update for months and even had leaks floating around, then pulled the football back at the last moment leaving everyone high and dry. To make matters worse, they offered $100 off to us when we bought a new Motorola device and then flipped it into a a scenario where we could "sell" our used phones to a third party when the time actually arrived.

Personally, I'm a Motorola user because of their call quality and really didn't get too worked up over being stuck on Gingerbread. But can understand the vitriol they are getting from others too. They handled it very poorly.
    weksa likes this.

A sok test has been send to verizon Moto X. I hope its 4.4 and not a minor update
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by PlayDLine View Post
    I just got an invite to another software test - probably 4.4 wouldn't you think?
    Yes, I believe so. Matt Jones posted on G+ a link to Motorola Feedback Network subtly encouraging people to sign up to be apart of 4.4 soak testing.
    Thanked by:
    mhettrich likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Yes, I believe so. Matt Jones posted on G+ a link to Motorola Feedback Network subtly encouraging people to sign up to be apart of 4.4 soak testing.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. I just opted in for the MFN.

Android Addict

Even if it's not 4.4, it's another update!
    There's a certain amount of win in an update, even if it's not the one you're looking for.
    mhettrich likes this.

From my past experiences with Android smartphones on VZW, there is the possibility of certain amount of pain from updates as well. On every OS update I've taken from Froyo to GB to ICS to JB, I've ultimately performed a FDR on my phones and found that it eliminated many if not all of the bugs that surfaced from overlaying an updated OS on top of the old one. It can be somewhat of a pain to do an FDR, but in the long run it can eliminate a lot of headaches and allow your phone to run much smoother. It would be nice if Kit Kat and future updates go smoothly without the need for a FDR. Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by ETPhoneHomeT View Post
    From my past experiences with Android smartphones on VZW, there is the possibility of certain amount of pain from updates as well. On every OS update I've taken from Froyo to GB to ICS to JB, I've ultimately performed a FDR on my phones and found that it eliminated many if not all of the bugs that surfaced from overlaying an updated OS on top of the old one. It can be somewhat of a pain to do an FDR, but in the long run it can eliminate a lot of headaches and allow your phone to run much smoother. It would be nice if Kit Kat and future updates go smoothly without the need for a FDR. Here's hoping!
    What is Franklin Delano Roosevelt doing on your phone?

Is the soak test Verizon only? Any sent to ATT owners?

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timeforachange View Post
    Is the soak test Verizon only? Any sent to ATT owners?
    Based upon posts the emails seem to have only been sent to Verizon customers.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by grooks View Post
    Based upon posts the emails seem to have only been sent to Verizon customers.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Don't the other carriers typically get the update before Verizon bothers to approve it (that's the impression I got anyway). My guess is it is a maintenance update. People assumed the same thing with the JB update on the Razr HD. Motorola said JB would be coming by the end of the year, people got soak test invites in November and assumed it was JB, then it ended up being a maintenance update. The update still came before the end of the year, but not immediately following an announcement. I wouldn't mind being wrong....

Well hopefully my "Rogers" Moto X will get it promptly, if it was a Telus brand, then I'd be waiting 6 months.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast