Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    My brand new custom (Verizon) Moto X arrived yesterday. One of the first things I did after firing it up was to turn on Android Device Manager in the Settings->Security->Device Administrators. I have a persistent notification wanting me to set up Motorola's own "lost phone features". Is there any reason to set up the Motorola find-your-phone thing, or is it just redundant?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    It might be redundant but better safe than sorry

    Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. #3  
    Umass021's Avatar

    Posts
    870 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    I have the droid maxx and was wondering the same thing.

    Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    Don't have a moto x yet but my thought is I'll probably stick to android device manager since I can secure my account with 2-factor authentication. Unless moto account offers something similar.

    Posted via Android Central App
    readhpr likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by readhpr View Post
    My brand new custom (Verizon) Moto X arrived yesterday. One of the first things I did after firing it up was to turn on Android Device Manager in the Settings->Security->Device Administrators. I have a persistent notification wanting me to set up Motorola's own "lost phone features". Is there any reason to set up the Motorola find-your-phone thing, or is it just redundant?
    its a redundant app... motorola eliminated most redundant apps fro moto X. this is one feature they didnt.

    maybe because they started working on it way before google announced Android device manager

    use ADM
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Don't have a moto x yet but my thought is I'll probably stick to android device manager since I can secure my account with 2-factor authentication. Unless moto account offers something similar.

    Posted via Android Central App
    That's a good point about 2-factor authentication. I also looked around for Lost Device help on the Motorola website, and as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything more or different than Android Device Manager, which I already enabled as soon as I got the phone. So I just told the Motorola Lost Device setup No Thanks. Can always turn it on later if I change my mind.
  7. #7  
    Vaas's Avatar

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    I setup the Moto one, did not think about the Android device manager. Would rather use that.

    Do you think there is issues with disabling the Moto one and enabling Android device manager?

    android newb
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaas View Post
    I setup the Moto one, did not think about the Android device manager. Would rather use that.

    Do you think there is issues with disabling the Moto one and enabling Android device manager?

    android newb
    Shouldn't be any problem. Go to Settings / Security / Device Administrators. From there, turn off the Motorola administrator and turn on Android Device Manager.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    Sir I have lost mu Moto X last weak... how can i trace it .. could u plz guide me
  10. #10  

    Default

    I haven't used the Android device manager, but I did try the Motorola one. Worked perfect. Even showed me what part of the house my phone was in.

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    I'm pretty sure you will need the info from your phone. IMEI number or serial number or something if you haven't registered it with Motorola yet. You can do it all on the website.

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    Quote Originally Posted by prissysox View Post
    It might be redundant but better safe than sorry

    Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    I have both set up since day one with the MotoX..
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    I honestly have both set up. I figure redundancy is a good thing when it comes to security. They both do exactly the same thing, but Google's UI in the web app is a little better I think.

    Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Motorola Lost Phone Features vs. Android Device Manager

    When I tried ADM's locate-device feature, I saw a ton of wakelocks and my Moto X battery life really went south. Motorola's app does not seem to have this problem. I'm using Motorola's app for this important reason.

Similar Threads

  1. Hello Android Central From Argentina
    By asdpro in forum Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 11:01 PM
  2. AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 - Android 4.3 camera update
    By bduess686 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  3. Motorola Droid MAXX - MS Exchange notification settings
    By sixclicksto155 in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
  4. Google Nexus 4 - Can I fix my phone?
    By Go Ogle in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions