Motorola warranty

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my moto 6 weeks after i bought it and screen cracked. Woulda cost me $175 to fix (didn't have to though, cuz moto lost it and paid for a new phone). One drop. The $80 is a great price for 2 years, and a very low $40 deductible. I see people walking around with cracked samsungs all the time. I can't be doing that. lol. although i know it's $120 total for of 1 drop, so it's pretty close to full price of a drop, i have so little faith in the build of phones now, that i can imagine it happening more than once. BB is expensive but i did get it for my dvd player cuz reviews kept saying it died after a certain amount of time, and the cost of the insurance was quite low. On occasion insurance is worth it.

That scenario actually makes it less appealing. I would rather pay $175 on a "as needed basis" versus $85 whether I use it or not and $125 if I need it. That is how insurance companies survive though :)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That scenario actually makes it less appealing. I would rather pay $175 on a "as needed basis" versus $85 whether I use it or not and $125 if I need it. That is how insurance companies survive though :)

I'd rather go the $125. I almost never buy insurance or extended warranties, but in the case of my phone I'd much rather not have hassle with a repair. I think you get a loaner as well.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather go the $125. I almost never buy insurance or extended warranties, but in the case of my phone I'd much rather not have hassle with a repair. I think you get a loaner as well.

That would be a huge factor. The only phone insurance I have bought was applecare and that is b.c you can literally walk in and out with a new phone in 5 minutes.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple Care seems like such a scam to me. Those shysters wanted $700 to cover my mother's MBP. Their sales pitch was: "Well, if the screen goes out, it's $1000 to replace it". My answer was, "What if the screen doesn't go out? Do I get a refund? (tongue in check)

I've literally never had a screen go out on a laptop, and I've trashed some computers in my day...like the old Dell I had that slammed from my passenger seat onto the floor no fewer than half a dozen times. That certainly didn't kill the screen. In fact, I'd say that if a $2500 MacBook Pro needs a $700 warranty, then there is something wrong with quality control. The biggest thing to me is how Apple faithful tout AppleCare like it's somehow different than the extended warranty Best Buy offers you on your car charger at check out. No no, it's not like all those USELESS warranties on other things, AppleCare is a must.

It literally numbs my mind.

My Moto X is the first device I've found myself not using a case, just a screen protector with. I have mixed feelings about it because I strongly dislike dinged up phones. But, every time I slip mine into the Air Jacket I bought when I bought the phone, it feels slicker than it does by itself. It also doesn't help that the thing is so tight, I don't see how it doesn't scratch the crap out of a phone every time one goes in or comes out of it. If I drop it and kill it, fine, I'll fork out the cash for a replacement or a repair. I know that drops happen, and I know that sometimes things are out of our control. But always keep in mind that in the end, it's probably wasted cash.

Funny story, a few weeks ago I was hit head on by a negligent driver @55mph. My Galaxy Nexus literally disappeared. When I finally found it, I was pretty surprised. For one, it ended up on my dash board slammed in the crevice where the windshield meets the dash. Two, it didn't have a scratch on it. The screen was fine, and the cheap TPU case that came with my Hyperion battery/back cover, protected it from so much as a scratch. Now that's pretty crazy. I know it's not the same as a 2 year old slamming your phone down screen first onto a concrete sidewalk corner, but again, I think if you take care of your device with some common sense measures, you'll end up saving cash in the long run.

ethertwist

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone who recently purchased the Moto X opted to buy the Moto Care Accident Protection for $85? I'm still on the fence about it and I have about three weeks to decide. I'm someone who always uses a screen protector and keeps my phone in a case, so I can't figure out if it's really worth it for me. The one big selling point is that they will supply you with a replacement device while they're inspecting or repairing/replacing yours. I read the "fine print" and it seems like the damage that they cover must affect the functionality of the device, not just the cosmetic appearance. I wonder if this covers a cracked screen, which is something I wouldn't want to live with even if the phone still worked fine.

Anyone else have any other thoughts on the pros and cons of this extended warranty?

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm interested to hear as well. Also, I can't even find where your can purchase the care protection on the Moto site?

Sent from my Moto X

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have Verizon and have their insurance and have to use it all they'll send you is a standard black or white version they won't replace it with the same custom setup you bought from moto maker

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I didn't ask about the Dev or 32gb models since as soon as in was told I wouldn't be getting the same device as a replacement I canceled the insurance and plan yo just rock a case and screen protector

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I didn't ask about the Dev or 32gb models since as soon as in was told I wouldn't be getting the same device as a replacement I canceled the insurance and plan yo just rock a case and screen protector
I keep it for loss or theft but it really sucks if you don't get the same device you are paying to insure.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
If you have Verizon and have their insurance and have to use it all they'll send you is a standard black or white version they won't replace it with the same custom setup you bought from moto maker

That settles it then. I'm not getting the Verizon insurance.

Sent from my Moto X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007