Background Noise using Headphones

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got my moto x and I've noticed that there is background noise/static when using headphones. The severity varies with different headphones - presumably due to the headphone sensitivity. The noise is always there if I'm listening to something - even with the volume at 0. Using Google Play Music or Pandora, I hear the sound disappear a second or so after I pause the music. Obviously it's much more noticeable/annoying with quiet music.

Anybody else experience this? Mind testing? I need to know if I should get another unit or if I have to live with this. My Klipsch S4 headphones seem to be the worst out of all the headphones I've tried.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have to say this is barely noticeable to my ears. In fact, I really don't hear it with my Bowers & Wilkins P5's (which sound great). I tried it with the SOL Republic Jax earbuds as well and it's more noticeable with those...but even then I have to save it's barely noticeable to me.

On a side note, does anyone know of any headphones with volume and or forward/reverse buttons that actually work with Google Play Music on the Moto X? Really wish this worked for us. Not a deal breaker by any means...just a wish it worked kind of thing.

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
truenoob, thanks for chiming in.

I used to use Jay's Headset Control on my Galaxy Nexus: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=se.jays.headsetcontrol&hl=en&token=PHYQy5mc to enable some additional controls via headsets. I haven't had a chance to download and try it for my Moto X, but I'll let you know when I do.

I've been considering the SOL Republic Jax earbuds myself. What do you think of them? Would you notice the background noise with them if I hadn't pointed it out? Also, how well do they fit/stay in place?

I'm leaning toward buying some Bose MIE2's for my Moto X. My Klipsch S4a headphones are horrible with the Moto X background noise - by far the worst out of any headphones I've tried.

Practical Performance

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Just tried out Jay's Headset Control with Google Play Music and it does work for forward/reverse, however, I couldn't seem to get volume up/down to work. I need to experiment some more - I suspect the timing of my clicks is the problem for any inconsistency/lack of functionality. I think it's worth giving it a shot.

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion on the Headset Control. I'll have to try it out. I like the SOL Republic Jax earbuds. The wires are thick which makes it harder to get them tangled. They fit good assuming you can fit one of the three different sized buds. I don't think I would have noticed the background noise if you hadn't pointed them out, though I normally use these buds in a noisy environment. The buds are pretty beefy. I haven't tried them yet on a phone call so can't comment on the mic and it's quality. I'm pretty happy with them for my on the go listening.