Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a Fitbit sleep and activity wristband but has not ever hooked it up and forgot about it. I didn't understand it really untill I pulled it out of the closet after reading your first post asking to check it out. So i will get back to you I am testing it out now.

Awesome!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
4.4 =/= Google's vision of Android. If you have Touchless control, trusted bluetooth devices, active notifications, and all the other Motorola add ins, then you are not running Google's vision of Android. Motorola's Android implementation may be much closer to Google's (and in my opinion, superior to Google's) than most carriers, but the fact remains that it is Motorola's implementation of Android and not Google's. The Nexus 5 is running Google's vision of what Android should be. It is similar to Motorola's, but definitely different.

Side note: If you have a FitBit and could test if you can sync it with the FitBit app now that the Moto X has 4.4, I would be incredibly greatful.

To be fair - what is Google's vision of Android? It's clearly diverged from "stock" Android too.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be fair - what is Google's vision of Android? It's clearly diverged from "stock" Android too.

Yes it has. I said as much in the previous post. AOSP is no longer "Google" Android. Google throws a skin on just like any other manufacturer. It just so happens that theirs is one of the best (the other contender for best being Motorola). Really, Motorola and Google (unsurprisingly) share a similar vision for Android, a platform from which to access Google Services. I just find it amusing that Motorola seems to have implemented this slightly better than Google did. Has the student become the teacher?

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes it has. I said as much in the previous post. AOSP is no longer "Google" Android. Google throws a skin on just like any other manufacturer. It just so happens that theirs is one of the best (the other contender for best being Motorola). Really, Motorola and Google (unsurprisingly) share a similar vision for Android, a platform from which to access Google Services. I just find it amusing that Motorola seems to have implemented this slightly better than Google did. Has the student become the teacher?

Google just recently split up from AOSP with the nexus 5...The N5 is the first pure "google" phone, not so much the pure android phone of its past..For example the Google Now to the left of the home screen and the google always listening feature is pure Google, not so much pure android. But it is becoming Google's vision of android. That is the absolute beauty of what the Nexus program can do for Google. Google can make the vision of android whatever they so choose to do and it will become the standard. It is almost now a war between Google's GEL and AOSP. This is the first time in Android History that the newest Update has not been based purely on AOSP and more of a Google Edition type of Android....It is either exciting or frightening depending on how you enjoy the new experience.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Also it almost seems like because this is the first time the Nexus 5 has an exclusive launcher that is GEL and not pure AOSP like the last nexus devices were the LG G2 is suffering from a lack of development. Normally the base phone on what the nexus line is based on gets a huge development community to follow. It was one of the added perks. for example the LG Nexus 4 made the LG Optimus G have a huge devolper community. But with the N5 and the LG G2 the dev community isn't there this time. Suffice it to say I will be selling my 2 week old Verizon LG G2 for $350 soon lol

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree with most everything they said. I may have been won over by the Note 3's beautiful screen and S-pen, but the moto x is such an awesome device. Can't say enough good things about it.
It was the first phone ever to make me forget iOS completely. It brought me to the android side without missing my iPhone and iOS.
As of today, the ONLY area that iOS still owns android is in the native email client. Other than than, Android ROCKS. Loving my Note 3, Loved my X, can't wait for the next big thing...

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a Moto X for 20$ on Craigslist and if the people pay the ETF (so I can activate) I'll give them 40$ more. So 60$ possibly invested in this little phone and it is an absolute beast! I came from a Galaxy S4 and I was a chronic flasher of AOSP/CM-based ROMs and let me tell you this phone blows the S4 out of the water in terms of real world performance. Don't let the SoC fool you. The display is also pretty decent as well since it doesn't suffer from the disease known as pentile matrix.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Moto X for 20$ on Craigslist and if the people pay the ETF (so I can activate) I'll give them 40$ more. So 60$ possibly invested in this little phone and it is an absolute beast! I came from a Galaxy S4 and I was a chronic flasher of AOSP/CM-based ROMs and let me tell you this phone blows the S4 out of the water in terms of real world performance. Don't let the SoC fool you. The display is also pretty decent as well since it doesn't suffer from the disease known as pentile matrix.

Maybe it is smoother out of the box but put a custom ROM and it's just as smooth. I would love to have a Moto X but I wouldn't trade it for my S4. Camera is far better, screen is better, gaming is better, battery is better ;p

Posted via Android Central App

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is smoother out of the box but put a custom ROM and it's just as smooth. I would love to have a Moto X but I wouldn't trade it for my S4. Camera is far better, screen is better, gaming is better, battery is better ;p

Sir, I meant it is smoother than the S4 with any custom ROM I ran on it. Trust me on this, I am a nerd for pixels and lag. I'm willing to give up some pixels in favor of a non-pentile display and a fluid experience 24/7 :)

The camera on the S4 walks circles around the X, I'll give you that.

EDIT: and I still have my S4, just gotta file a claim to get the screen that broke itself fixed.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sir, I meant it is smoother than the S4 with any custom ROM I ran on it. Trust me on this, I am a nerd for pixels and lag. I'm willing to give up some pixels in favor of a non-pentile display and a fluid experience 24/7 :)

The camera on the S4 walks circles around the X, I'll give you that.

EDIT: and I still have my S4, just gotta file a claim to get the screen that broke itself fixed.

I wouldn't trade all of the superior things the S4 has for a slightly smoother experience. I get no lag whatsoever on SlimBean 4.3 and the battery life is better than I have seen on any Moto X

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I hear you man, I really do. Which is why I am keeping my S4 like I mentioned previously. It would be an understatement to say slightly smoother, I am not sure why but the S4, even with a custom rom, never lives up to the potential of the SoC it contains. The battery life is great though! I got this Moto X on the cheap, and for what I payed for it - it makes it the better phone, hell the build quality is light years ahead of the S4, even if it is plastic just the same.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I get awesome battery life with this phone. I've gotten almost 24 hours with over 6 hours of screen time. I'd say that's pretty good for a 2200mah battery on stock, unrooted. Once I root and use Greenify and TiBU to freeze some stuff, it'll only get better.

Proof:

Screenshot_2013-09-20-10-14-45.png
Screenshot_2013-09-20-10-14-59.png

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
When I was in the Verizon store checking out the different colored backs for the Moto X, the salesman in there was adamant that the Galaxy S4 was really the phone I wanted. Because, you know, it's better and stuff. He had trouble explaining why, when put side by side with the Moto X, it performed tasks slower and lagged noticeably, while the "under powered" Moto X pushed through like it wasn't even being challenged.

Sorry, but I've got better things to do with my time now than root and ROM and dork around on my phone for weeks on end trying to figure out the best compromise of power, battery life, and features. Three years ago, I was all about it but it's just exhausting. The Moto X has come along and put a lot of those preconceived notions about Android to bed and all but nailed the coffin shut.

You know what annoys me most about Apple fanboys? When they say stuff like "it just works." But now I'm really starting to see what they're on about....

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've been looking for the perfect Android phone for me this year. I've owned the Note 2, the GS4, the Nexus 5, and am now using the HTC One. No interest in the Note 3, because it's too huge and I struggled with the Note 2 for almost a year before deciding I was done with the huge phone. Each was bought and sold again on Craigslist where I can manage to try them all without the long-term commitment.

The GS4 was frustratingly laggy, and I'm so tired of the Samsung Touchwiz nonsense. Battery life was less than stellar. I think I'm done with Samsung for awhile.

I tried the Nexus 5 and was unimpressed by the screen (since I was currently using the HTC One) and the battery life was unimpressive, to say the least. Overall, the phone felt cheap and too light. The camera was a mess, in my opinion. Maybe it will be fixed eventually, but I didn't have the patience for it. Really wasn't the phone for me, as I didn't feel it was an upgrade at all. Went back to my HTC One.

For the most part, I really like the HTC One, but ergonomics are awful. Hard to reach the power button, and the volume toggles are difficult. Though some may like the "ultrapixel" camera, I personally HATE it. It's far too wide and any people up close are horribly distorted. Makes them look fat and short... like a carnival mirror. Panoramas only work when the camera is held horizontally. The flash is unusable, not that I ever really use flash on a phone. That being said, the screen is gorgeous, battery life is acceptable, and I tend to like HTC Sense. It's been a nice change from Samsung.

Went to an AT&T store and was impressed by the Moto X, which surprised me. Loved the screen even though it was 720p (I couldn't tell the difference). It was snappy and felt just right in the hand. Today, HTC announced Kitkat by the end of January. Seriously? So I logged into Ebay and bought a mint Moto X 32gb that will be here soon. I'm expecting to be satisfied finally until next year's crop of super-phones start appearing. This article has been pretty much my observation, as I'd rather have the whole experience, rather than one or two excellent feature with lots of compromises.

On the other hand, I'll keep my HTC One for a while, just in case. ;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't trade all of the superior things the S4 has for a slightly smoother experience. I get no lag whatsoever on SlimBean 4.3 and the battery life is better than I have seen on any Moto X

What kind of battery life are you getting on your s4? I was under the impression that it was fairly identical to the one, about 70-75% of the x. Is the kernel much different on that ROM to increase by 33%?

XT1060. Through spacetime.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
What kind of battery life are you getting on your s4? I was under the impression that it was fairly identical to the one, about 70-75% of the x. Is the kernel much different on that ROM to increase by 33%?

XT1060. Through spacetime.
This was from Monday night :)
Had airplane mode on for about 2 and 1/2 hours. During my math class where I get no signal and during mass
Screenshot_2013-11-18-22-12-40.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-18-22-12-52.jpg
Proof it's an S4 and showing the kernel it's running on
Screenshot_2013-11-18-22-13-03.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad