Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to knock this one out... sales and quality don't necessarily have much to do with each other. Sales <> Quality. Sales = Sales. They're probably not even correlated.

A truer point cannot be made. Tying sales and quality together leaves us with the F150 being the indesputable best vehicle you can spend your money on in the USA (its been the #1 seller for like a decade) and the iPhone as the best phone you can possibly buy, after all it outsells any other phone. Nexus 4? Yeah, that phone was obviously garbage, it had terrible sales.

Marketing, brand, pricing strategy and timing have a lot more to do with sales than what is actually the best choice for a person. People will often buy something with not but a friend's recommendation and ignore all competitors, or buy the lowest priced item, the first thing they see, the prettiest thing they see, what the sales person recommends, etc. These are phones. They're cheap and most people are doing little to no research at all prior to buying them.

Which is exactly why half my family has crappy Android phones that were free on contract (cheapest thing) and the other half has iPhones (prettiest thing).

Furthermore, they buy them from the store, which, for example on Verizon, in the case of a device like the One in early Summer, means they don't know your device exists, and in the case of the X, they haven't heard of Moto Maker, etc.

More truth. I actually think the best phone you can get right now is the Droid Maxx and Droid Ultra. All the best things about the X with a larger screen and, in the case of the Maxx, better battery life. Most people will never even consider those phones though because they are only on Verizon.

This is in fact the best example, because of the "rivalry" between the One and S4. Most with some knowledge on the subject agree the One is the better device, although they are very similar on the spec sheet. The S4 is beating the One in sales by a huge factor. Sales <> Quality. Sales = Sales.
Exactly. The One X was a better phone than the S3 and the One is a better phone than the S4, but HTC is in a downward spiral and Samsung is making money hand over fist. The One is admittedly doing much better than the One X did, and the One may have established HTC as a real contender again so they can go on to great success next year with the HTC One^2 (I hope that isn't what they call it), much like the GSII set Samsung up to have a killer year with the GSIII.

All that to say, I agree sales=/=quality. Sales=good marketing. Quality=quality.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The article did call it very close. But I agree with them in principle. There will always be the occasional madman who wants 3ghz 12 cores, 8gig memory and 128gig flash - and most of those madmen are here :p 99.999999527817% (give or take, your mileage may vary, do not attempt, professional driver on closed course, vini vidi vici) of people use their phone to talk, text, check social crap, umm, feeds, that sort of thing. For that you need a decent screen of a reasonable size, good battery life, good form factor, excellent radios, good sound, and that's about it. Add on the surprisingly useful notifiers, and you have the Moto X. Are there phones that do all those things and more? Yup, there are. Do they have the same balance of plusses of the X? Not really, no.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
But the HTC One sold at a much faster pace and many, many more units than the MotoX's 500,000. Plus the critical acclaim, plus being voted best phone by several websites for extended periods. Remember, we're taking flagships, not overall corporate earnings.

The MotoX is about as mediocre as the article describes and is doomed to failure. Why would my **** be hurt when it's the MotoX that's taking it in the S? Lol :)

I just want Motorola to make a phone that tries harder than mediocrity. Or else only the mediocre customer and the websites who cater to them will be talking about the MotoX's successor.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This "mediocre" phone is the smoothest and probably fastest phone I have ever tried.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The article did call it very close. But I agree with them in principle. There will always be the occasional madman who wants 3ghz 12 cores, 8gig memory and 128gig flash - and most of those madmen are here :p 99.999999527817% (give or take, your mileage may vary, do not attempt, professional driver on closed course, vini vidi vici) of people use their phone to talk, text, check social crap, umm, feeds, that sort of thing. For that you need a decent screen of a reasonable size, good battery life, good form factor, excellent radios, good sound, and that's about it. Add on the surprisingly useful notifiers, and you have the Moto X. Are there phones that do all those things and more? Yup, there are. Do they have the same balance of plusses of the X? Not really, no.
That is exactly my point of view. My mom would not be any happier with a Note 3, GS4, or HTC One than she would with a Moto X. In fact, she is more likely to appriciate the X's active notifications, always listening voice control, and form factor than she is to appriciate any of the extra power or special features the other manufacturers bake into their phones.
The G2 software is officially known as "Hot Vomit Enducing Mess".

There, I fixed it.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
One of my female friends got a MotoX because it had pretty colors, and I thought it was a good, but nowhere near great, device.

I like the voice activation feature and the lockscreen reminded me of my old Nokia N9 low power screen. But there has to be a reality check as to how unimpressive it is compared to the other heavyweights. I asked myself, "Why would anyone be hungry to buy a MotoX?"

As it turns out, low sales demonstrate that they're not very hungry for it at all.

Any phone so uncompelling as to produce the Moto X's market effect has no legitimate claim on being the best Android phone. I'd honestly take at least 5 phones ahead of it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Do you own, or have you even used a Moto X? I haven't owned or used a HTC One, so I'd hesitate to barge in on a forum that is quoting a 3rd party source that hopefully have used the phones and have a basis for comparison. That said, I've never been happier with a cellphone device than the Moto X, with the Nokia N95 being a close second, back in the day. For those that remember, the N95 was a helluva phone and really revolutionized the industry IMO.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Them claiming the X best overall phone of 2013 is no different than other phones getting that title....and having so so call quality, reception and battery life. Overall....if a phone lacks in those 3 categories....it cant be considered best overall IMO.

It cant always be about the specs and screen. I have been a Moto fan long enough to feel a Moto phone will have decent call quality and reception. Get battery life right...and you have yourself a winner cuz everything else will be icing on the cake if done right. Those complaining about 720p vs 1080p.... Playing games on my PS3 and 360 its hard to tell.

On a 60" HDTV.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is not only the best Android Smartphone IMO I also think it is the best Nexus Device as well....I do fully understand it is not "branded" a nexus device but what really constitutes a nexus device? A smartphone running stock android and get timely updates. Sounds an heck of alot like a nexus to me.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X is not only the best Android Smartphone IMO I also think it is the best Nexus Device as well....I do fully understand it is not "branded" a nexus device but what really constitutes a nexus device? A smartphone running stock android and get timely updates. Sounds an heck of alot like a nexus to me.

I do not think that is what Nexus means, at least not any more. Nexus means affordable, straight from Google, with Google's vision of Android (which is no longer AOSP). The Moto X is very close to that, and would almost qualify as a "Google Play edition" device in my opinion, but it is decidedly not a Nexus. I think the only reason there isn't a Google Play Edition Moto X is because you wouldn't gain anything and you'd lose a lot.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The last update was rolled out to the full user population two days after the soak test was initiated. So we might be surprised (and gifted) by the speed this time, too.
Well I hope you guys do :)
I'm still waiting on Kit Kat ROMs for my S4 :(

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I do not think that is what Nexus means, at least not any more. Nexus means affordable, straight from Google, with Google's vision of Android (which is no longer AOSP). The Moto X is very close to that, and would almost qualify as a "Google Play edition" device in my opinion, but it is decidedly not a Nexus. I think the only reason there isn't a Google Play Edition Moto X is because you wouldn't gain anything and you'd lose a lot.

Well as far as affordable I agree with you. The moto x is not afforable and nexus's usually are....But google vision of android is currently on my Moto X right now and not on my Nexus 7 2013 yet....That is correct I am running 4.4 Kitkat on my Verizon Moto X and my Nexus 7 2013 still has not received the OTA. I recieved the SOAK test for my Moto X and got it yesterday. So as far as Nexus's devices getting Google vision of android First and foremost..that isnt the case. At least this year.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well as far as affordable I agree with you. The moto x is not afforable and nexus's usually are....But google vision of android is currently on my Moto X right now and not on my Nexus 7 2013 yet....That is correct I am running 4.4 Kitkat on my Verizon Moto X and my Nexus 7 2013 still has not received the OTA. I recieved the SOAK test for my Moto X and got it yesterday. So as far as Nexus's devices getting Google vision of android First and foremost..that isnt the case. At least this year.

4.4 =/= Google's vision of Android. If you have Touchless control, trusted bluetooth devices, active notifications, and all the other Motorola add ins, then you are not running Google's vision of Android. Motorola's Android implementation may be much closer to Google's (and in my opinion, superior to Google's) than most carriers, but the fact remains that it is Motorola's implementation of Android and not Google's. The Nexus 5 is running Google's vision of what Android should be. It is similar to Motorola's, but definitely different.

Side note: If you have a FitBit and could test if you can sync it with the FitBit app now that the Moto X has 4.4, I would be incredibly greatful.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
4.4 =/= Google's vision of Android. If you have Touchless control, trusted bluetooth devices, active notifications, and all the other Motorola add ins, then you are not running Google's vision of Android. Motorola's Android implementation may be much closer to Google's (and in my opinion, superior to Google's) than most carriers, but the fact remains that it is Motorola's implementation of Android and not Google's. The Nexus 5 is running Google's vision of what Android should be. It is similar to Motorola's, but definitely different.

Side note: If you have a FitBit and could test if you can sync it with the FitBit app now that the Moto X has 4.4, I would be incredibly greatful.

I totally agree the Nexus 5 4.4 is WAY different than Moto X's 4.4 But why is the Nexus 5 4.4 different than my Nexus 10's 4.4? It almost seems as if the Nexus 5 is now PURELY Google's android vision...They seem to push any other device to the backside. But yes I agree the Nexus program is Google's Vision on android. The nexus 5 more specifically. But my point is basically The Moto X is not a NEXUS device per say. But it is danm close to one when you take a look at it. It isn't branded NEXUS and it is not Supported by the Nexus product but for all intent and purposes it is somewhat a NEXUS device or GPE device. And FitBit? I never heard of it what exactly is it?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree the Nexus 5 4.4 is WAY different than Moto X's 4.4 But why is the Nexus 5 4.4 different than my Nexus 10's 4.4? It almost seems as if the Nexus 5 is now PURELY Google's android vision...They seem to push any other device to the backside. But yes I agree the Nexus program is Google's Vision on android. The nexus 5 more specifically. But my point is basically The Moto X is not a NEXUS device per say. But it is danm close to one when you take a look at it. It isn't branded NEXUS and it is not Supported by the Nexus product but for all intent and purposes it is somewhat a NEXUS device or GPE device. And FitBit? I never heard of it what exactly is it?

It is a fitness activity tracker. It can sync to iPhone, Samsung devices, and most Android phones with Bluetooth 4.0 and Android 4.3+. However, there are some devices (HTC One for example) that meet the BT 4.0 requirement and Android 4.3 requirement, but due to missing BT libraries, still cannot sync with the FitBit app. I'm hoping the Moto X doesn't have that issue because I lost my dongle to sync it with my PC and am tired of borrowing my wife's iPhone to sync it.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I have fitbit, however my AT&T Moto X does not have 4.4 yet. When it does, I will be checking to see if it will sync. I just got notified from Fitbit that I am in the beta for there app that will run on Nexus, so will be updating my N7 and testing sync.

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It is a fitness activity tracker. It can sync to iPhone, Samsung devices, and most Android phones with Bluetooth 4.0 and Android 4.3+. However, there are some devices (HTC One for example) that meet the BT 4.0 requirement and Android 4.3 requirement, but due to missing BT libraries, still cannot sync with the FitBit app. I'm hoping the Moto X doesn't have that issue because I lost my dongle to sync it with my PC and am tired of borrowing my wife's iPhone to sync it.

Not a problem, being a SOAK test participant I am glad to test these things out. I am doing it right now as I type. will let you know

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you'll be able to test it without a FitBit device, but the effort is appriciated none the less!

My wife has a Fitbit sleep and activity wristband but has not ever hooked it up and forgot about it. I didn't understand it really untill I pulled it out of the closet after reading your first post asking to check it out. So i will get back to you I am testing it out now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2