Verizon off-contract - regular 32GB model or Developer Edition?

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
So I've been off-contract for about a year now, mostly to keep unlimited data (until they pry it from my cold dead hands lol). Bought a Droid Razr HD Maxx last December and have been happy with it except for still being on 4.1. I've decided that the Moto X will be my next phone, but I'm not sure if I should go the regular 32GB model or get the Developer Edition. I can't decide for a few reasons:

-I want to customize it on Moto Maker. Black on woven black with silver trim. I think DE looks okay, but in Jerry's comparison between the Moto X and Nexus 5 he mentioned that the white gets stained easily.

-Unlocked bootloader seems compelling...but I unlocked the BL on my Droid and never bothered installing a custom ROM. Also, according to another thread here, the Moto X is so awesome it doesn't need a ROM.

-Does anyone think that the DE model might get updated quicker or supported later than the regular model (i.e., a year from now the BL-locked model updated only to "4.5" while DE model continue to be updated to "5.0")? I ask this because the Dev Edition of the Droid Razr HD (which I wasn't aware of one when I bought mine) is being updated to 4.4 while the regular model is still stuck at 4.1.2 (source: Motorola to bring KitKat to Moto X, new Droids and Dev Edition RAZR HD | Android Central). EDIT: they just announced the non-DE Droid Razr HD (and MAXX) will be upgraded to 4.4

-Are there any other software or hardware differences that I should be aware of (i.e., less bloatware on the DE)? Or are they the same except for the bootloader and the "Developer Edition" label on the back?

I appreciate your time and (helfpul) feedback. Thanks

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the price is the same, I'd get the Dev Edition. Sure you don't get Moto Maker, but extra freedom is never bad. I'd rather have the unlocked bootloader and not need it than need it and not have it.

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If the price is the same, I'd get the Dev Edition. Sure you don't get Moto Maker, but extra freedom is never bad. I'd rather have the unlocked bootloader and not need it than need it and not have it.

Yeah, I share that viewpoint too...I'd rather have it and and not need it too. I almost used those exact words in my OP.

And yes, they are the same price ($549.99).

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat when choosing, but I went with a regular one because everytime I got close to buying the DE, I would go look at the white model in the store. I decide I did not like white (they're pretty dirty in the stores) so I went motomsker instead (all black with red accents).

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat when choosing, but I went with a regular one because everytime I got close to buying the DE, I would go look at the white model in the store. I decide I did not like white (they're pretty dirty in the stores) so I went motomsker instead (all black with red accents).
I've been meaning to get to the Verizon store to take a look, I always want to hold the phone in my hand before buying one. If I see a dirty white one in the store, that might be enough to sway me to motomaker.

Miamagn

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to find the 32gb on the Verizon website. Seems to be the 16gb version directly through Verizon. Where have you seen the 32gb? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the only place I've found a moto x for use on Verizon network that is 32gb is the developer edition directly through Motorola. I'm very interested in a 32gb version, but I'm on Verizon and can't leave. Also must buy off-contract to keep unlimited data.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to find the 32gb on the Verizon website. Seems to be the 16gb version directly through Verizon. Where have you seen the 32gb? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the only place I've found a moto x for use on Verizon network that is 32gb is the developer edition directly through Motorola. I'm very interested in a 32gb version, but I'm on Verizon and can't leave. Also must buy off-contract to keep unlimited data.

Go to Moto X by Motorola - A Google Company and click design yours. You are only able to get the 32 GB directly from Motorola, but you can get them for any carrier and can use your carrier upgrade if you are elligable.

Same color scheme I went with. Flat black or woven black?

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Go with a Developer Edition and buy a DBrand skin if you don't like the white back. Buy Moto X Skins | dbrand

Ladies and gentlemen, we might have a winner here! I love it, I think that's even more customization than Moto Maker. And they even have a "wood" back before Motorola does LOL (though it is just vinyl). Now I have to decide whether to get the black carbon fiber or the black titanium (and if I should get the front too). Thanks for the tip!

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Hmm...good point. Is that because of the security changes they made in 4.3?
KK is 4.4. JCASE has put out the root method for the release rom and "camera fix" OTA.

He tweeted that he isn't going to release a root for 4.4... there is a post on XDA with a link to a tweet... but just see this post -> xda-developers - View Single Post - [DONATIONS] Root for Moto x 4.4 in that thread.

So unless someone else roots it, those with locked boot loaders will be out of luck.

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
KK is 4.4. JCASE has put out the root method for the release rom and "camera fix" OTA.

He tweeted that he isn't going to release a root for 4.4... there is a post on XDA with a link to a tweet... but just see this post -> xda-developers - View Single Post - [DONATIONS] Root for Moto x 4.4 in that thread.

So unless someone else roots it, those with locked boot loaders will be out of luck.

I'm aware that KK is 4.4, but I was referring to the point that Google added SELinux to Android in 4.3 and I thought that caused issues with rooting.

I'm unable to find additional info regarding rooting the DE X...is that rooted a different way?

EDIT: I think I'm definitely going with the DE X at this point, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into it.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
I'm aware that KK is 4.4, but I was referring to the point that Google added SELinux to Android in 4.3 and I thought that caused issues with rooting.

I'm unable to find additional info regarding rooting the DE X...is that rooted a different way?

EDIT: I think I'm definitely going with the DE X at this point, I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into it.
SELinux doesn't help rooting. I haven't paid attention to the VZW GS4 with its 4.3 update, so not sure if that has been rooted.

In anycase to root DE X w/KK -> https://plus.google.com/110773150384694258853/posts/VhtJtg92sTP works fine. its what I followed.

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't think DBrand, or any other brand, skins will completely cover the white backplate and edges. However, pairing a skin with a bumper case would hide any trace of white.

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think DBrand, or any other brand, skins will completely cover the white backplate and edges. However, pairing a skin with a bumper case would hide any trace of white.

I did notice that after playing with their site for a while, but I think what it will cover will be sufficient. I don't really like bumper cases, prefer something more like the ZAGG Invisible Shield for protection. I already ordered the Dev Edition, so I'll see if I can stand the white background and will order the skin or shield depending on that outcome. Thanks everyone!

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Developer Edition and a case. Easier to remove bloat if it has any and it will be worth more when the X2 comes out and you want to sell it. If you don't do the developer phone at least avoid putting your name on it. I think people are going to regret that down the road.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1