Going from Galaxy S4 to Moto X

keuler23

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I had my S4 for 3 1/2 months and loved it. Although i didn't really use a lot of the fancy features it had, there were plenty of cool things it had. I had it in an otter box but about a week ago i threw it down on the couch and it bounced off and landed on the floor and got a couple tiny cracks in the bottom of the screen, nothing too serious. but throughout the week black dots grew all over the screen until is was completely black and couldn't see anything. Thankfully i was able to use my grandpa's upgrade to get a new one.

After looking on here and other places it seemed that the moto x was probably the best phone out there, especially for 100 dollars less than the S4. So now after having it a day I have noticed a few things that the Galaxy had that the moto x is missing (or at least i can't find them, not a phone expert) or that i liked better about the S4.

1. With the S4 it was easy to make songs into alarms or ringtones. When you go to set one it would allow you the option to pull songs from your music library. It also had a feature that would pick a good point in the song to start at instead of just starting at the beginning.

2. S4 allowed you to have a separate lock screen than your wallpaper. (I guess the active display kind of eliminates any need for this though)

3. Not sure if this is the case for other apps or games, but for example, while playing candy crush, if I received a text or other notification, i could pull down from the top of the phone and see my notification bar to see what it was, while on the moto x i have to exit out of candy crush to see it.

4. I've seen people complain about the vibration of the moto x, but had no idea it would be this rough. It was in my pocket during class today and made me jump a little when i got a text. And it seems like the S4 had options for vibration intensity as well as different vibration patterns, i can't find those on moto x.

5. The music app that comes installed on the S4 had a sleep timer while the moto x doesn't. I like to listen to music as i fall asleep.

6. The alarm clock app that comes installed on the S4 had more options too such as how many times you could hit snooze, and an option for it to get increasingly louder.

Don't mean to bash the moto x, these are just things i've noticed after a day with it. I will give the moto x the fact that it looks fantastic and the active display is awesome considering i check my phone alot to look at the time and for notifications. It also seems to run very smooth. I also like being able to swipe to the side to get rid of unwanted notifications. I do wish it displayed the battery percentage on the top bar like the S4.

So far it seems to be a solid phone, haven't used the ok google now yet and don't really see myself using it much, but that is a very neat feature to have. Hopefully it will grow more on me, just haven't seen enough to agree with all of the people saying it's better than anything else out.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you have become accustomed to TouchWiz then it will be a great big adjustment to near Vanilla Android. While it has come a long way it doesn't have all the extra functionality that Samsung likes to cram into their devices.
You can download apps for everything you want to do. It may take a little bit to set everything up but it will be worth the time.

Alarm clock- Timely. Awesome app.

Ringtones - Ringo Pro. You choose tones from all music files on device. You choose custom text tones for contacts. You also get to choose vibrate pattern and tone length for text messages. Works with hangouts as well as stock sms app.

Lockscreen - there are tons of this party lock screen apps but I think you would loose active notifications. That would defeat one of the pluses of the phone.

As for the notification bar you might have to see if there are the three faint dots at the bottom of your screen. If there and you tap them to show up your notification shade should pop up as well. Don't quote me on this one yet. I don't play many games.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
1. use app called Zedge or just drop the ringtones to ringtone/notification folder and it will show up on the list

2. active display kind of eliminates any need for that

3. Android 4.4 is rolling out for verizon which has a mode called emersive mode which let u pull down notification while on full screen mode.

4. u could try light flow light to control vibration for individual app. i dont think it would be system level.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I too just came from a SG4 (yesterday) and I have the same gripes, but on the other hand the operation and the fluid stability over the SG4 is a HUGE plus. I'm not big into the ringtones so thats no big deal to me.

Now that alarm part I need that fixed ASAP..... so I will try a new alarm app and see how that goes.

The feel of the phone is also amazing even though I am 6'4" and have large hands the galaxy still felt too big in the hand and the pocket.... The Moto X size is perfect and dont feel crammed like on the iPhone. I was also a little worried about the screen resolution, now I gotta say it looks AWESOME!!!

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I too just came from a SG4 (yesterday) and I have the same gripes, but on the other hand the operation and the fluid stability over the SG4 is a HUGE plus. I'm not big into the ringtones so thats no big deal to me.

Now that alarm part I need that fixed ASAP..... so I will try a new alarm app and see how that goes.

The feel of the phone is also amazing even though I am 6'4" and have large hands the galaxy still felt too big in the hand and the pocket.... The Moto X size is perfect and dont feel crammed like on the iPhone. I was also a little worried about the screen resolution, now I gotta say it looks AWESOME!!!

Best alarm clock: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.moblynx.clockjbplus&token=yVwyexEs

Maybe I'm the only one, but I hated Timely. Looks nice but everything costs money.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
IMO all those issues can be fixed with new software, and you can have the programs you like in a better phone. The problems with the S4 will always be there

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
After looking on here and other places it seemed that the moto x was probably the best phone out there, especially for 100 dollars less than the S4. So now after having it a day I have noticed a few things that the Galaxy had that the moto x is missing (or at least i can't find them, not a phone expert) or that i liked better about the S4.

... I do wish it displayed the battery percentage on the top bar like the S4.
Battery circle is a nice free app that will put a little circle with a numeric battery percent inside it on your notification bar. It even changes color as the battery runs down.

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
As someone who made the switch from an s3 to the Moto x, I share your frustration, but there is one thing that makes up for it all - battery life.

After my first full charge I went almost 23 hours and still had 27% left on my battery. I can't wait to see how it does when I report back to school next week, but I'm pretty impressed.

I'm glad you mentioned about the alarms, since I'm on vacation I haven't set them up yet. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's responses.

Posted via Android Central App

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Gentle alarm is a great clock. Perhaps the best.

Alarm clock by double twist is also great.

Timely is the new kid on the block. Looks good but does not have the functionality of the other two I mentioned.

I own all 3. I sort of collect great alarm clocks and have tried many clock apps. Probably every clock in the top ten.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm using alarm clock plus, which had more than enough functionality, and uses my music. You can also copy a random mp3 into the alarm directory, and the default clock can use it. You need a file utility to do that. I can look up the details I'd you want more help.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I use Alarm Clock Xtreme for my alarm clock and find it very customizable. Ringtone Maker lets you create ringtones and notifications out of music from your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084