Moto X KitKat differences & issues

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
GEL does work on this device. You can sideload the .apk and your latest Google Search update supports it. Some icons are updated with it (camera and settings) while others are not (phone, google search, google settings).

I've noticed switching between GEL and Nova Prime Beta that there is a strange wallpaper resizing thing going on, that's easily fixable by just opening the wallpaper interface and then backing out of it, but still strange.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I have also noticed this with mine...I even uninstalled and reinstalled Google Search and it still doesn't work.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Or noticing the same thing?

I would also like to know this since I can't get my working either. And I've ensured that English is the default language selected. But I've noticed that Offline speech recognition hasn't a probably recognizing that English is available and the latest language pack has been updated.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know this since I can't get my working either. And I've ensured that English is the default language selected. But I've noticed that Offline speech recognition hasn't a probably recognizing that English is available and the latest language pack has been updated.

I found the motorola manual for the moto x with the kit kat upgrade and this behavior is how it is described in the manual (i.e. they say tap the microphone in Google Now to do voice search). I suspect that they disabled it so it doesn't conflict with Touchless Control.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Try turning on location services. There's a long thread in Google Groups somewhere about Google Now (and OK Google) not working after Kitkat and it needs location services turned on and US English.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
From Paul from Nexus in the thread I mentioned:

Here's the latest information I have:

This is not a hardware issue. There are several reasons you may not see Google Now which I'll outline below.

1. Double-check if Google Now is on
It's possible you skipped turning on Google Now while you were initially setting up your device. See*this help center article*for instructions on activating Google Now.

2. Check Google Location Reporting
Launch the Google Settings app and select Location, then look under Google Location Reporting. If this option isn't available to you then Google Location Services and Google Now are not offered in your geographic region.

3. Google Now may be disabled by your Google Apps administrator
If you're using a Google Apps account your admin may not have activated Google Now. Please speak with your Google Apps administrator about activating Google Now.

4. Google Now isn't working with your Google Apps (free edition) account
Some people in this thread have discovered that if their administrator toggles location services off and on again in the Google Apps administration control panel this clears up the problem on your device.

If none of the above scenarios apply to you, we'd appreciate it*if you would long-press in any open section of your home screen and then select Help & feedback >*Send feedback. When sending a feedback report it would be very helpful if you:
Include a detailed description of the problem.
Scroll to the bottom of the feedback tool and change the User Account setting from Anonymous to your email address.
When you send feedback through that method it helps us gather all these sorts of reports in one place, as well as some data useful for us to diagnose issues such as this.
---
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nexus" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/topic/nexus/PUNmDxzZulc/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to nexus+unsubscribe@googleproductforums.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/group/nexus/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/googlep...18c-876a-effe96d70033@googleproductforums.com.
-------------------

It's for Google Now mainly but maybe there's something here you can follow up with?

nycdaddio1

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Lockscreen? My lockscreen is exactly the same and Motorola support is telling me that the new one is only for Nexus....I am thoroughly confused. Do you all have new ones?
Thanks!

kevin.slawinski

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone having issues having Motorola Assist activating the Meeting mode even when they have scheduled events in their calendars where they are shown busy?

Posted via Android Central App

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Lockscreen? My lockscreen is exactly the same and Motorola support is telling me that the new one is only for Nexus....I am thoroughly confused. Do you all have new ones?
Thanks!

I have the new one. Camera icon in the right hand bottom corner, New arrow in middle to swipe to google now

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks..spoke to a level 2 support guy and he said nothing in the changelog about a lockscreen

tuna4any.jpg

XT1060. Through spacetime.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
From Paul from Nexus in the thread I mentioned:

Here's the latest information I have:

This is not a hardware issue. There are several reasons you may not see Google Now which I'll outline below.

1. Double-check if Google Now is on
It's possible you skipped turning on Google Now while you were initially setting up your device. See*this help center article*for instructions on activating Google Now.

2. Check Google Location Reporting
Launch the Google Settings app and select Location, then look under Google Location Reporting. If this option isn't available to you then Google Location Services and Google Now are not offered in your geographic region.

3. Google Now may be disabled by your Google Apps administrator
If you're using a Google Apps account your admin may not have activated Google Now. Please speak with your Google Apps administrator about activating Google Now.

4. Google Now isn't working with your Google Apps (free edition) account
Some people in this thread have discovered that if their administrator toggles location services off and on again in the Google Apps administration control panel this clears up the problem on your device.

If none of the above scenarios apply to you, we'd appreciate it*if you would long-press in any open section of your home screen and then select Help & feedback >*Send feedback. When sending a feedback report it would be very helpful if you:
Include a detailed description of the problem.
Scroll to the bottom of the feedback tool and change the User Account setting from Anonymous to your email address.
When you send feedback through that method it helps us gather all these sorts of reports in one place, as well as some data useful for us to diagnose issues such as this.
---
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nexus" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/topic/nexus/PUNmDxzZulc/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to nexus+unsubscribe@googleproductforums.com.
Visit this group at Google Groups.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/googlep...18c-876a-effe96d70033@googleproductforums.com.
-------------------

It's for Google Now mainly but maybe there's something here you can follow up with?

I've tried all of these great suggestions and it's still not working for my Moto X.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I found the motorola manual for the moto x with the kit kat upgrade and this behavior is how it is described in the manual (i.e. they say tap the microphone in Google Now to do voice search). I suspect that they disabled it so it doesn't conflict with Touchless Control.

Could you please point me to where you found this?

nycdaddio1

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
With the help of moto support my issues have been resolved! I cleared the all the data in my Google search app and retrained the touchless control. Its now working flawlessly. The lockscreen was user error.Because I had no lock at all not even a slide it wasnt really a lockscreen it was just my active notification screen, once I put on a slide lock I now have my camera icon and beautiful album art. Back to being a happy Moto X fanboy:)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all of these great suggestions and it's still not working for my Moto X.

Try this if you haven't yet

Settings>Accounts>Google>Search>Google Now> on

Settings>Accounts>Google>Location> on

And on same page set to "battery saving" mode. If on "Device" mode it doesn't work.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try this if you haven't yet

Settings>Accounts>Google>Search>Google Now> on

Settings>Accounts>Google>Location> on

And on same page set to "battery saving" mode. If on "Device" mode it doesn't work.

I don't think Google Now hotword is supposed to work on the Moto X. Here is the Verizon Moto X (with Kit Kat upgrade) manual from Motorola's site

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...irect/1/filename/Xfon_UG_Vzw_KK_17618001a.pdf

On page 13 about Google Now, it clearly indicates that you need to tap the microphone button to initiate voice search. Of course, you can always initiate with Touchless Control (ok google now). Perhaps they disabled it to avoid conflict between Google Now's (Ok Google) and Touchless Controls' (Ok Google Now).

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
My phone tends to go black for a few seconds after unlocking from active notifications. Very annoying. Other than that, no issues

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante