KitKat Crashed My Moto X - unrecoverable

cbridgers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried the update to KitKat today and it crashed, yielding the following screen:

kitkat_error.jpg

I selected "Recovery" and it rebooted and appeared to attempt a re-install. Then I got an image similar to this but it also said "ERROR" in red.

Android error.jpg

Then it rebooted and is stuck at the Motorola logo:

Moto_X_Boot_Logo_Featured_Small.jpg

If I turn the device off by holding the power button for 10 seconds, it automatically starts up and gets stuck at the Motorola logo again. It's been sitting that way for 3 hours.

Has anybody else had any issues with the update?

Chris

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. Note to self...wait at least 7 days to update my Moto X when the ATT update comes...apparently the ATT S4 update was pulled by ATT due to issues.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried the update to KitKat today and it crashed, yielding the following screen:

View attachment 92779

I selected "Recovery" and it rebooted and appeared to attempt a re-install. Then I got an image similar to this but it also said "ERROR" in red.

View attachment 92780

Then it rebooted and is stuck at the Motorola logo:

View attachment 92781

If I turn the device off by holding the power button for 10 seconds, it automatically starts up and gets stuck at the Motorola logo again. It's been sitting that way for 3 hours.

Has anybody else had any issues with the update?

Chris

Can you get into the bootloader? Once you power down try holding the volume down and power button during that time before it attempts to reboot. If it goes into the bootloader try to do a factory reset. It will wipe your data but chances are it's all gone anyway.

I'm sorry to be vague but I don't have an x in front of me so I'm going off of memory.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5

cbridgers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I don't know if I'm quite ready to give up on saving my data. I think I'll take it to the Verizon store and see what they recommend.

Thanks.

cbridgers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Wow!.. I just got off the phone with Verizon technical support. First of all, the tier-2 support personnel didn't even know what kitkat is. Also, they pointed out that since I can't boot the phone - or even get to the boot loader - that we would have to process a return and they would send me a *refurbished* moto x. That's right.. according to Verizon, the moto x warranty states that they only replace with refurbished phones!!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow!.. I just got off the phone with Verizon technical support. First of all, the tier-2 support personnel didn't even know what kitkat is. Also, they pointed out that since I can't boot the phone - or even get to the boot loader - that we would have to process a return and they would send me a *refurbished* moto x. That's right.. according to Verizon, the moto x warranty states that they only replace with refurbished phones!!

I would try a factory reset.

Back up all data on the internal memory.
With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume down key and Power key for 2-3 seconds until the the Boot options screen appears.
Release the keys.
Use the Volume down key to scroll to highlight Recovery.
Press the Volume up key to select.
The phone will display the Motorola logo then the Android recovery screen.
Once the Android recovery screen displays, press and hold the Volume up key for 10-15 seconds.
Quickly tap and release the Power key.
The Android recovery screen will appear.
Scroll down using the Volume down key to highlight Wipe data/factory reset.
Press the Power key to select.
Once the reset is complete, press the Power key to Reboot.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Yep. The only time they will replace it with a new phone is if you are within your trial period. Once you are outside of that 14 day window, replacements will always be refurbs. Same deal on all carriers. Sucks but that's how it is.

Even if you go directly through the manufacturer, they would send you a refurb.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Steve-x

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Should be able to get it fired up again, not sure about saving the data though. I'd recommend a full reflash using rsdlite as was suggested a few posts back.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Should be able to get it fired up again, not sure about saving the data though. I'd recommend a full reflash using rsdlite as was suggested a few posts back.
It's certainly salvageable, and worth the effort. Especially if the alternative is getting some standard refurb that does not match motomaker selections. With a phone that new, I'd make a HUGE stink to Verizon, and in store to a manager as well. I would tell them that your business with Verizon was because of Motomaker and if they won't make it right, you'll just pay the ETF, go to AT&T and you'll never spend another dime with them. It was "their" update that bricked the device. It's not like you did something nefarious or that the device itself just took a crap. It was technically the direct result of a carrier update pushed to you. In my book, they should replace the device with something identical and either prorate the plan for the days you're without a device or provide a temp phone (I know fat chance on all that).

cbridgers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I would try a factory reset.

Back up all data on the internal memory.
With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume down key and Power key for 2-3 seconds until the the Boot options screen appears.
Release the keys.
Use the Volume down key to scroll to highlight Recovery.
Press the Volume up key to select.
The phone will display the Motorola logo then the Android recovery screen.
Once the Android recovery screen displays, press and hold the Volume up key for 10-15 seconds.
Quickly tap and release the Power key.
The Android recovery screen will appear.
Scroll down using the Volume down key to highlight Wipe data/factory reset.
Press the Power key to select.
Once the reset is complete, press the Power key to Reboot.

Thanks for the advice, planoman. Unfortunately when I select "Recovery", it display the Motorola logo for about a second and then returns to the boot loader screen with the error message, "Failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56. Boot up failed".

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend posting this up on XDA. I'm some of the developers over there can help you out. Be sure to let them know what you've tried... Essentially it sounds like you are trying to recover from a bricked phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, planoman. Unfortunately when I select "Recovery", it display the Motorola logo for about a second and then returns to the boot loader screen with the error message, "Failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56. Boot up failed".

At first I thought you might be pushing the buttons soon enough but.......
Since you are getting an error message and its not just rebooting after pressing those keys it looks like you might have to RSDLite back to a stock image.
Info can be found on XDA . I havent had to RSDLite my Moto X yet so instructions on XDA probably would be easier to follow then my instructuions.(they got vids showing to).It can be fixed and thus not have to have a refurb .Also you dont have to be rooted to use RSDLite to reflash a stock image.After RSD flash it will be back in a "out of box" condition.

I had to RSDLite my DX though before. The first time it wouldnt even boot up.I had removed the OS entirely lol thats why no boot.
I took to vzw they arranged to send me a refurd. They didnt have a clue as to what happened I knew but wasnt saying .The people at vzw cant suggest using RSDLite but some may give you some hints about "googling" how to fix.

In the meantime I reseached about RSDLite .Once I watch the videos and understood what to do I wound up fixing it and sent the refurb back.Thus keeping my original phone

Last edited:

cbridgers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend posting this up on XDA. I'm some of the developers over there can help you out. Be sure to let them know what you've tried... Essentially it sounds like you are trying to recover from a bricked phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for the recommendation. I just posted to XDA.

cbridgers

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
At first I thought you might be pushing the buttons soon enough but.......
Since you are getting an error message and its not just rebooting after pressing those keys it looks like you might have to RSDLite back to a stock image.
Info can be found on XDA . I havent had to RSDLite my Moto X yet so instructions on XDA probably would be easier to follow then my instructuions.(they got vids showing to).It can be fixed and thus not have to have a refurb .Also you dont have to be rooted to use RSDLite to reflash a stock image.After RSD flash it will be back in a "out of box" condition.

I had to RSDLite my DX though before. The first time it wouldnt even boot up.I had removed the OS entirely lol thats why no boot.
I took to vzw they arranged to send me a refurd. They didnt have a clue as to what happened I knew but wasnt saying .The people at vzw cant suggest using RSDLite but some may give you some hints about "googling" how to fix.

In the meantime I reseached about RSDLite .Once I watch the videos and understood what to do I wound up fixing it and sent the refurb back.Thus keeping my original phone

Thanks, davidnc. This is good information. I just want to make sure I've exhausted all methods for recovering my data before I reflash and wipe.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Woahh don't do that... Call motorola

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781