Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My epic struggle to get my Moto Maker Moto X shipped, A cautionary tale

Last Tuesday, November 12th (8 days ago, but who's counting), I decided to take to plunge and get a Moto X. Now, of course, I couldn't get a plain jane white or black Moto X, I needed a custom Moto X (woven black back, black front, red accents, but that is irrelivent to our tale). I happen to know that Best Buy has recently started selling AT&T Moto Maker cards, has the AT&T Moto X on sale for $50, and I have $20 worth of Reward Zone points. $30 custom Moto X? Yes, please.

I go to Best Buy, get my card, and return home. After struggling for an hour with whether I want woven black and red, merlot and orange, or cabarnet and purple (don't judge me!), I settle on woven black with red accents and place my order. All seems to have gone well, I get my order conmation email, informing me to excpect my device to be delivered Saturay the 16th. Wonderful, I am giving my father in law my HTC One and Sunday, perfect timing. The next day I get the email that they are building my phone, all is on track. Then silence Thursday and Friday.

Saturday the 16th arrives, my Motorola accound says my device has not yet shipped, but that it should be delivered that day. This does not add up to me, so I call Motorola support. Turns out there is an activation hold on my phone, which basically mean Motorola is unable to activate my phone and no one at Motorola knows (or at least won't tell me) why. Now, my upgrade at Best Buy was a strange thing, they didn't take my AT&T account info (no one has yet), I never signed a contract(still haven't), and to this day the upgrade is showing as available on myAT&T, so I figure this is probably related.

So I spend an hour Saturday, 1.5 hours Sunday, and an hour monday on the phone with a combonation of Motorola and Best Buy trying to get this sorted out. No luck. Best Buy says everything looks good on their end but Motorola disagrees strongly. Finally, yesterday, I got some actual information after I vented to the friendly Motorola Employee about how frustrated I was that I had been trying to get this resolved for 5 days and seemingly no progress had been made. I was still getting the same answers I had gotten the first day I called in. So, she divulges some information to me that, from her tone of voice, she maybe wasn't supposed to be divulging. She informed me that they were having this problem with a lot of Moto Maker card that orders that had been purchased through Best Buy. Motorola management was working with Best Buy to get the issue resolved, but that they would likely need until at least the end of this week, and thanked me because I was being much more patient than most of the customers (which is actually rare for me).

This brings us to today, Wednesday the 20th of November. 8 days after my initial order (when many people have their phone in hand in 2-3 days). I receive a call at work (which is also rare for me), and who is it from but the same nice Motorola lady I had talked to last night. They have figured out the issue and are working on activation all the phones now. They will be shipping out all the ones they activate today tonight on overnight shipping and will be finishing the rest tomorrow. So I should finally, FINALLY, have my Moto X tomorrow or Friday.

I don't want to get too excited because I feel like my hopes will get crushed by some further complication, but I can't help it. I am super excited. I've been using a crappy 2 year old HTC Titan (see side bar below) and am super sick of it. Windows Phone 7 has no apps, it is aweful. Thank you for reading my tale.

Side bar/rant about the HTC Titan: Okay, Windows Phone 7 only supported 480x800 screen resolution. No other options. Didn't matter your screen size or physical aspect ratio, you got 480x800 pixels. So what does HTC decide to do? BUILD A FRICKIN 4.7" PHONE. This was before this size was common (it may have been the first widely available 4.7" phone actually). 480x800 looks terrible at 4.7". Text is so blurry it is ridiculous. I don't know who that this was a good idea. Especially when you are using an OS with a typogrophy driven OS. I remember why I returned mine after 2 weeks and tried to convince my wife to do the same (I'm using her old one).

TL/DR: Due to a Best Buy incompetence, me and many others that have been waiting for our Moto X's to ship for over a week will finally be getting them.

Default Re: My epic struggle to get my Moto Maker Moto X shipped, A cautionary tale

Maybe this is what happened to mine, since I have AT&T too. FedEx is picking mine up tonight for overnight delivery. I still have no word from Motorola on the shipping but FedEx has sent me my tracking number. If you set up a FedEx account you can find out if there is a package coming to your house tomorrow, even if they have not sent anything. Mine went on their website about 10 AM this morning but I got the text from FedEx a few minutes ago.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: My epic struggle to get my Moto Maker Moto X shipped, A cautionary tale

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Lilly View Post
    Maybe this is what happened to mine, since I have AT&T too. FedEx is picking mine up tonight for overnight delivery. I still have no word from Motorola on the shipping but FedEx has sent me my tracking number. If you set up a FedEx account you can find out if there is a package coming to your house tomorrow, even if they have not sent anything. Mine went on their website about 10 AM this morning but I got the text from FedEx a few minutes ago.
    When did you order yours? And did you get it with a Moto Maker card purchased at Best Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Last Tuesday, November 12th (8 days ago, but who's counting), I decided to take to plunge and get a Moto X. Now, of course, I couldn't get a plain jane white or black Moto X, I needed a custom Moto X (woven black back, black front, red accents, but that is irrelivent to our tale). I happen to know that Best Buy has recently started selling AT&T Moto Maker cards, has the AT&T Moto X on sale for $50, and I have $20 worth of Reward Zone points. $30 custom Moto X? Yes, please.

I go to Best Buy, get my card, and return home. After struggling for an hour with whether I want woven black and red, merlot and orange, or cabarnet and purple (don't judge me!), I settle on woven black with red accents and place my order. All seems to have gone well, I get my order conmation email, informing me to excpect my device to be delivered Saturay the 16th. Wonderful, I am giving my father in law my HTC One and Sunday, perfect timing. The next day I get the email that they are building my phone, all is on track. Then silence Thursday and Friday.

Saturday the 16th arrives, my Motorola accound says my device has not yet shipped, but that it should be delivered that day. This does not add up to me, so I call Motorola support. Turns out there is an activation hold on my phone, which basically mean Motorola is unable to activate my phone and no one at Motorola knows (or at least won't tell me) why. Now, my upgrade at Best Buy was a strange thing, they didn't take my AT&T account info (no one has yet), I never signed a contract(still haven't), and to this day the upgrade is showing as available on myAT&T, so I figure this is probably related.

So I spend an hour Saturday, 1.5 hours Sunday, and an hour monday on the phone with a combonation of Motorola and Best Buy trying to get this sorted out. No luck. Best Buy says everything looks good on their end but Motorola disagrees strongly. Finally, yesterday, I got some actual information after I vented to the friendly Motorola Employee about how frustrated I was that I had been trying to get this resolved for 5 days and seemingly no progress had been made. I was still getting the same answers I had gotten the first day I called in. So, she divulges some information to me that, from her tone of voice, she maybe wasn't supposed to be divulging. She informed me that they were having this problem with a lot of Moto Maker card that orders that had been purchased through Best Buy. Motorola management was working with Best Buy to get the issue resolved, but that they would likely need until at least the end of this week, and thanked me because I was being much more patient than most of the customers (which is actually rare for me).

This brings us to today, Wednesday the 20th of November. 8 days after my initial order (when many people have their phone in hand in 2-3 days). I receive a call at work (which is also rare for me), and who is it from but the same nice Motorola lady I had talked to last night. They have figured out the issue and are working on activation all the phones now. They will be shipping out all the ones they activate today tonight on overnight shipping and will be finishing the rest tomorrow. So I should finally, FINALLY, have my Moto X tomorrow or Friday.

I don't want to get too excited because I feel like my hopes will get crushed by some further complication, but I can't help it. I am super excited. I've been using a crappy 2 year old HTC Titan (see side bar below) and am super sick of it. Windows Phone 7 has no apps, it is aweful. Thank you for reading my tale.

Side bar/rant about the HTC Titan: Okay, Windows Phone 7 only supported 480x800 screen resolution. No other options. Didn't matter your screen size or physical aspect ratio, you got 480x800 pixels. So what does HTC decide to do? BUILD A FRICKIN 4.7" PHONE. This was before this size was common (it may have been the first widely available 4.7" phone actually). 480x800 looks terrible at 4.7". Text is so blurry it is ridiculous. I don't know who that this was a good idea. Especially when you are using an OS with a typogrophy driven OS. I remember why I returned mine after 2 weeks and tried to convince my wife to do the same (I'm using her old one).

TL/DR: Due to a Best Buy incompetence, me and many others that have been waiting for our Moto X's to ship for over a week will finally be getting them.
    ah... motomaker cards... i was poisoned by it when motomaker launched for at&t... took me 2+ weeks to reverse the order and order it by the motomaker website. I'll tell you and anyone who decides to buy the card in-store that you can be chewing off more than you can swallow. The main reason why it took 2+ weeks was because at&t didnt know how to sell me the card, and it basically used my upgrade to a non-existent phone in limbo... (I ended up getting $100 off my custom and $100 off at&t bill because of the situation)

However, I forgot about the problem until now, and thinking about it; this phone was definitely worth it in the end... I don't think I will ever go back to an iphone or another phone that isn't made by motorola. Although support by phone can be a hit/miss, technical support in the motorola support forums is actually great, and they open their ears towards suggestions.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    ah... motomaker cards... i was poisoned by it when motomaker launched for at&t... took me 2+ weeks to reverse the order and order it by the motomaker website. I'll tell you and anyone who decides to buy the card in-store that you can be chewing off more than you can swallow. The main reason why it took 2+ weeks was because at&t didnt know how to sell me the card, and it basically used my upgrade to a non-existent phone in limbo... (I ended up getting $100 off my custom and $100 off at&t bill because of the situation)

However, I forgot about the problem until now, and thinking about it; this phone was definitely worth it in the end... I don't think I will ever go back to an iphone or another phone that isn't made by motorola. Although support by phone can be a hit/miss, technical support in the motorola support forums is actually great, and they open their ears towards suggestions.
    I wish I got some sort of compensation for this. Granted mine didn't take quite as long as yours.

I wish I got some sort of compensation for this. Granted mine didn't take quite as long as yours.
    If i were you, I would had raised havoc with best buy for selling you a product should have been linked to your phone account. They may have been able to give you some sort of gift card...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    If i were you, I would had raised havoc with best buy for selling you a product should have been linked to your phone account. They may have been able to give you some sort of gift card...
    Honestly, I'm trying to fly under the radar on that because I still haven't signed a contract or given anyone my AT&T account information. If I can escape from this hell hole with my upgrade intact AND a new Moto X, that is compensation enough for me.

When did you order yours? And did you get it with a Moto Maker card purchased at Best Buy?
    No motomaker card and I ordered on Friday. I just thought they had an issue with all AT&T but they told you it was AT&T from Best Buy. Nevermind.
    The FedEx thing is still relevant though.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Lilly View Post
    No motomaker card and I ordered on Friday. I just thought they had an issue with all AT&T but they told you it was AT&T from Best Buy. Nevermind.
    The FedEx thing is still relevant though.
    Just went and set up my account.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well, turns out that since Best Buy didn't do the upgrade properly, Motorola just had to cancel my order. They gave me a free accessory (up to $60) of my choice, so i got some of the JAX earbuds. I'm reordering, but from Motorola directly this time.

Yeah as soon as I saw the words "Best Buy" in your post. I didnt have to read the rest. I figured they screwed something up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Just want to add to this cautionary tale. My experience is even worse, and still ongoing. Motorola's customer service is absolutely abysmal- a total joke. Don't do it.

I ordered my wife a phone using a Best Buy card on Thursday evening, the 21st. It still says on the web site that it hasn't shipped. Last correspondence was on the 22nd that it was being made (standard bulk email from Moto). Estimated delivery date of the 26th. Called on the 25th because nothing had changed. Rep told me they didn't know what the hangup was but they would call me later that day. Never got a call back. Called on the 26th. Found out it was on hold with Activations. Rep said they would have someone from Activations get a hold of me that day. Never got a call. Called on the 27th. Rep said a manager from Activations would call me that day. As with the previous Rep, said they would see to it personally. Said they would even be working on Thanksgiving. Yup, never got a call from the manager nor the Rep. Called today. Rep put me on hold, for 10 minutes, then got back to tell me that Activations is closed until Monday. Apologized profusely, and that he would call me on Monday. I think I'm sensing a pattern here. And they haven't even told me what the problem is!

Great job by those at Motorola of passing the buck and not communicating. This is customer service usually reserved for Comcast. I don't care if it's a problem with the card being purchased at Best Buy and they are the ones that screwed up. Just f'n tell me it is. No communication on Moto's end whatsoever. Too bad because I really wanted to see Motorola succeed- was really pulling for them to get back to the top. Now, I don't give a damn what happens to them. It's all their own doing. And it takes a lot for me to lose it this bad.

And yes, I'm going to copy this rant to the boards on their support site.

Sorry op that sucks. Exactly why I don't buy phones from them. Always a bad experience.
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.