Has anyone switched from the S4?

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone has switched from the s4? What do you miss or which do you like better? I've always found the X intriguing since it was released but I couldn't bring myself to get one. I have the opportunity to trade my s4 for the X but I'm not sure how I would like it. Any input would be fantastic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

schulzjt

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Has anyone switched from the s4?

I was in the same boat as you until yesterday. I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Motomaker. Should be here by Tuesday. So after Tue I will be able to give you my input/opinions on your questions... But I look forward to hearing from others who have made the transition already. For now I think I will hold onto the GS4 and switch back and forth, unless of course I end up loving one device more than the other. My only concern at this point after playing with some X's in store, is that my tired old eyes will have a difficult time reading text on the smaller screen of the X.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

The screen actually isn't that much smaller. It may just appear smaller as it has a smaller foot print. I much prefer the X overall. It is much more comfortable than my One. I decided to keep the X and sold my One.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had a GS4 since May. I just got a Moto X from motomaker this week to replace it.

The X is much easier to handle for me. Not that I found handling the GS4 hard, but it's a pretty large rectangular slab. The X is slightly smaller and because of it's curved back, it's just nicer to hold for me. Also, I never liked having a physical home button that I had to push (although it made waking the phone easy at times). But the way the active notifications work on the X I find I don't have to hit the power button to wake it most of the time, I just put my finger in the middle of the screen and drag. I've used the GS4 enough to make the screen size difference noticeable to me but not in a bothersome way but we do lose some screen real estate to onscreen buttons. I do have to adjust a little to typing as the keyboard is ever so slightly smaller. To me, the way the X feels in the hand is more than worth the tradeoff of a slightly smaller screen.

I didn't find touchwiz to be that bad but it just has so much built into it and I turned quite a bit of the extras off. I like "stock" android because it is leaner.

The one thing I will miss from my GS4 is the quality of the pics I could obtain from the camera. I haven't spent enough time with the X to give a full opinion of the camera for stills and video but for the few test shots I've taken, it doesn't seem to be quite at the same level the GS4 is. Plus, I felt that Samsung did very well with the camera software and the X has a much more basic setup for the camera app. But, the quick twist that the X has to activate the camera seems to work very well and I think it'll greatly reduce the time to be ready for a candid shot. Touchwiz doesn't have any way to even bring up the camera without first making me put in my PIN.

After a couple software updates, the GS4 felt pretty speedy for the most part with navigating around and opening apps. The X is every bit as quick, and almost seems a bit faster to me.

I still have a good deal of playing around with my X to see how the active notifications and voice input will fully benefit me, but I haven't been disappointed I made the switch.

keuler23

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Since posting that I've downloaded a better alarm app and music app to fix those problems.

Another thing i found was the screen rotation. I don't like having it on because it would rotate when i didn't want it to most of the time, but it was nice to be able to just pull down the notification bar at the top and turn it on if i were watching a video or something that needed it. But on the moto x you have to go into the settings in order to change it.

I'm sure there is a way but i haven't figured out how to add my facebook contacts onto my phone. i downloaded the sync me app but it only linked the numbers i already had. (lost my number

I downloaded Nova launcher to customize alot of things as well which helped me make it more how i wanted it.

I still haven't taken many pictures but the moto x camera doesn't seem to be quite as good as the s4.

The active notifications are definitely awesome. can't say enough about that, only wish they would have LED lights too to see from a distance.
The feel of the phone is a big plus from the S4 though. Feels much better in the hand. Moto x still seems to be incredibly smooth and quick with everything it does.

To be honest, if they were priced the same, I am not sure which phone i would go with right now.

keuler23

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Since posting that I've downloaded a better alarm app and music app to fix those problems.

Another thing i found was the screen rotation. I don't like having it on because it would rotate when i didn't want it to most of the time, but it was nice to be able to just pull down the notification bar at the top and turn it on if i were watching a video or something that needed it. But on the moto x you have to go into the settings in order to change it.

I'm sure there is a way but i haven't figured out how to add my facebook contacts onto my phone. i downloaded the sync me app but it only linked the numbers i already had. (lost my number

I downloaded Nova launcher to customize alot of things as well which helped me make it more how i wanted it.

I still haven't taken many pictures but the moto x camera doesn't seem to be quite as good as the s4.

The active notifications are definitely awesome. can't say enough about that, only wish they would have LED lights too to see from a distance.
The feel of the phone is a big plus from the S4 though. Feels much better in the hand. Moto x still seems to be incredibly smooth and quick with everything it does.

To be honest, if they were priced the same, I am not sure which phone i would go with right now.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

add the power control widget to one of your home screens.

It gives you quick toggle to bluetooth, wireless, GPS, screen rotate and brightness.

There are apps that can give you just one toggle if all of those are to much for your liking.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

add the power control widget to one of your home screens.

It gives you quick toggle to bluetooth, wireless, GPS, screen rotate and brightness.

There are apps that can give you just one toggle if all of those are to much for your liking.

I' surprised it doesn't include wifi. That's the option I toggle most often on my Photon.

eyc908

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

I made the jump from S4 to Moto X. The only thing that I miss about the S4 is the larger and higher-resolution screen. The navigation bar (i.e., on-screen buttons) on the Moto X actually make a significant difference in screen real estate. The S4 has a 5" screen and the Moto X has a 4.7" screen. Now add the navigation bar, and your effective screen size becomes 4.375". That's a very big difference, and things like my Pure Calendar widgets are looking extremely compacted.

The resolution also makes a huge difference. Lot's of reviewers discount this with a waive of the hand, explaining that the difference is nominal, some saying that the human eye cannot tell the difference. Not true, at least not for me. Text is fuzzier and grainier and the outlines of icons looks less sharp.

The Moto X also has this characteristic where it appears you are looking at an image projected on paper. You can see this textured surface to the pixels that looks like soft sandstone or construction paper, whereas, the S4 pixels look like they have a shiny crystal-like surface. This is a difficult phenomenon to explain, but you can really see it when the screen is primarily white, and especially when you compare the phones side-by-side. I think this is the nature of this screen technology. While the Moto X offers much richer colors, blacker blacks, and is brighter when necessary, it's grainier. I would analogize the screen difference between the S4 and the Moto X to that between an LCD versus a Plasma. I use only plasmas in my house because I prefer the richer (and more natural) colors, deeper blacks, and contrast (e.g., Kuro Elite). But, for reading crisp clean text, I go with LCD on all of my computer monitors. By analogy to the Moto X screen, if you walk right up to a plasma, you can see strange texture ("dancing ants") and other abnormalities that you don't see on LCD.

That all said, I've now used my Moto X for 4 days, and I have absolutely no issues with the screen. The differences I noted above were especially apparent during the transition between S4 and Moto X, but now that I am into "day-to-day" use, the Moto X's screen is absolutely beautiful -- no complaints. I should note though, when I prepped my S4 for sale yesterday, I was again really captivated by the big and high-resolution screen.

Last edited:

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

The GS4 definitely had a nicer screen. If you are someone who uses your phone alot, you will probably prefer the GS4.

But if you are like me and use multiple devices (desktop, tablet, phone) the GS4 is just overkill. That's the main reason I got rid of it. I wanted a more compact phone, and the Moto X fills the bill.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I ditched my S4 about a week ago and haven't looked back don't miss it at all! The Moto X has been great in so many different ways, and for the people that have concern about battery life I don't see the issue mine has been great with mid to heavy use.

The size is another big factor to me, it fits in my pockets great unlike the S4 just seemed just a little to big.

Now for the removable battery, I am not one to carry around an extra battery just to change it out when 1 dies and I don't know of many that do. I do have a few friends that have bought bigger batteries and that just adds to the bulk of the phone and I definitely don't want a bigger phone!!!!

Removable storage is a big thing but really how much are people really using? I know on my 16GB S4 with 64GB MicroSD i was know where near close to filling up the 16GB or the 64GB. Moving apps to the SD was great and all but even with a Class 10 card things got even slower. I even had a 32GB card go crazy and lost everything on it.

The bottom line for me switching was the damn LAG on the S4, Samsung gives you all these little gimmicks or "features" but to get the phone to run smooth I had to disable 80% them to make the phone run smooth.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm thinking after reading all the responses I may give it a shot. The worst thing that could happen is I don't like it and I find someone to trade with again. My biggest concern is the camera. I've seen some awful shots with a purple hue and they say it was after the update. If I can find the link I will post it. I'm no professional photographer, but I want my shots to look good lol.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm thinking after reading all the responses I may give it a shot. The worst thing that could happen is I don't like it and I find someone to trade with again. My biggest concern is the camera. I've seen some awful shots with a purple hue and they say it was after the update. If I can find the link I will post it. I'm no professional photographer, but I want my shots to look good lol.

I haven't entry seen the purple hue. But that's just me. I don't pick a phone for the camera.

Lots of people complain about the camera on the HTC One but I guess they just live with it.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I haven't entry seen the purple hue. But that's just me. I don't pick a phone for the camera.

Lots of people complain about the camera on the HTC One but I guess they just live with it.

I had the HTC One and it wasn't the greatest. The Zoe feature was cool, but I ended up trading it for the s4.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I'm looking to get an X coming from the S4. Actually have a MotoMaker on the way now. The only thing I'm worried about is the camera. I think everything else leans to the X. I do like the screen on the S4, but like someone else said, after a few days you won't notice any difference. But still for some reason I'm afraid to leave this phone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm looking to get an X coming from the S4. Actually have a MotoMaker on the way now. The only thing I'm worried about is the camera. I think everything else leans to the X. I do like the screen on the S4, but like someone else said, after a few days you won't notice any difference. But still for some reason I'm afraid to leave this phone.

Me too!! I think after looking at tons of pictures taken by the Moto X it kinda scares me. 98% of the time my pics turn out amazing with no purple hue like I've been seeing...that's the biggest turn off for me. The screen size isn't an issue for me...heck I switch to an iPhone every once in a while lol. My biggest concern is the camera.

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I have a S4 and I don't like it. I think I'm just tired of touch wiz. Anyways, I am considering the X or N5. I'm not too worried about the camera. My wife pays a professional to take our family pics lol.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Me too!! I think after looking at tons of pictures taken by the Moto X it kinda scares me. 98% of the time my pics turn out amazing with no purple hue like I've been seeing...that's the biggest turn off for me. The screen size isn't an issue for me...heck I switch to an iPhone every once in a while lol. My biggest concern is the camera.

Yeah, and the clarity and definition in the pics from the S4 is pretty nice. I primarily want to switch so that I have a more unified ecosystem between my phone and Nexus 7, that and my never ending desire for new tech toys. But the only drawback to the X for me is the camera. I have two kids that I love getting pics of, and not sure the X will work. I also switch back and forth to iOS from time to time. I think we're cell phone blood brothers.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Now for the removable battery, I am not one to carry around an extra battery just to change it out when 1 dies and I don't know of many that do. I do have a few friends that have bought bigger batteries and that just adds to the bulk of the phone and I definitely don't want a bigger phone!!!!

I have a portable battery pack that I can carry if I think I may not be able to recharge my phone (or tablet) before it dies. Another benefit is that it is not limited to one phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair