1st day with MOTO X, worried about battery

Traprock

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I picked up an X yesterday to replace my Droid Bionic. I settled on the X because of many reviews which despite the small internal battery alluded to very good battery life due to low powered hardware and features. This was expected to improve while once it updated from JB to KK.
Upon activation it went through its many updates including getting KIT-KAT, but battery life seems a bit troubling. I went into settings and did some of the power saving features like lowering brightness and disabling GPS. Any other important features I should look at which could be bleeding battery power?

Thanks

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Give it a week to settle in to your usage habits. The X has pretty good battery life.

My girlfriend just got the G2 and the battery was terrible for the first week but I kept telling her to wait it out and check suspicious apps, now she is getting optimal battery life.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an X yesterday to replace my Droid Bionic. I settled on the X because of many reviews which despite the small internal battery alluded to very good battery life due to low powered hardware and features. This was expected to improve while once it updated from JB to KK.
Upon activation it went through its many updates including getting KIT-KAT, but battery life seems a bit troubling. I went into settings and did some of the power saving features like lowering brightness and disabling GPS. Any other important features I should look at which could be bleeding battery power?

Thanks

What are the stats..?

Hard to say its troubling then not give any details about your cell signal, screen shots, screen time, total use etc...

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How has your battery life been so far? Screen on time?
How much stuff you got syncing?
The battery life for me has been the best of any of my previous 4 android phones.
As mentioned give it a few battery cycles to break in. I'm sure you know getting a new phone ya on on it longer then you realize just messing with stuff .

sent from Moto X

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry. i'm on my 3rd moto, and each time day 1 - 2 had me worried, by day 3 and 4 my battery life was better then very good.

I use wakelock detector to find out what apps tend to be a little active.

Traprock

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I realize I didn't give a whole lot of details as I haven't had a normal days usage yet. I got it mid day then the usual updating and charging and fiddling with it. Today should be a better experience to judge by. I am working this weekend and that will be the biggest test.
I'll post a battery statshot at the end of the day. When I had checked it last night before bed, it was the display with the largest draw on the battery. So far today it is the Android sys with display following second.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with davidnc. My X stomps all over any other Android I have had. My S3 at best with AOSP Slim and 50% brightness got me 10 hours with 30% remaining. My X gets that without batting an eye (or processor??? :p).

- - - Updated - - -

I realize I didn't give a whole lot of details as I haven't had a normal days usage yet. I got it mid day then the usual updating and charging and fiddling with it. Today should be a better experience to judge by. I am working this weekend and that will be the biggest test.
I'll post a battery statshot at the end of the day. When I had checked it last night before bed, it was the display with the largest draw on the battery. So far today it is the Android sys with display following second.

Any new battery will take a few days/charge cycles to get into the swing of things.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Thanks

Had a Moto X for two weeks. It never made it through the day like my note 2, and my note 3 (which barely makes it) but I was okay plugging it in while driving and at work. I would just accept that and get a spare charger. True story.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks

You're going to use the phone heavily while setting it up.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Usage varies obviously, but if I don't plug it in at night I get ~24 hours. I'm at 20 hours now with 20% battery left.

General battery question: My understanding is it is better to recharge these batteries frequently rather than letting them fully drain before recharging? Is that correct?

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Had a Moto X for two weeks. It never made it through the day like my note 2, and my note 3 (which barely makes it) but I was okay plugging it in while driving and at work. I would just accept that and get a spare charger. True story.

The place where this phone, like most others, is hampered is low signal. If you don't have a decently strong signal the radio has to transmit at much higher wattages. I get 16 hours or more every day. :) But I work downtown and have great signal at home and work.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I've only had mine for a couple of days. Yesterday I had 2 hours on screen, 1 hour of phone calls and 16 hours unplugged. I plugged it up @ 30%. This is all after updating to KitKat and a "high" Android OS usage.

Check apps and widgets. If they are updating on the their own a lot, change your settings.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
General battery question: My understanding is it is better to recharge these batteries frequently rather than letting them fully drain before recharging? Is that correct?

I typically don't let my battery fall below 20%. I've heard that frequently discharging the battery to 0% or close to it has a negative effect over the long term.

Also, don't keep topping off the battery throughout the day. If you are going to unplug the phone at least let it run down to 50 or 60% before plugging in again.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I typically don't let my battery fall below 20%. I've heard that frequently discharging the battery to 0% or close to it has a negative effect over the long term.

Also, don't keep topping off the battery throughout the day. If you are going to unplug the phone at least let it run down to 50 or 60% before plugging in again.

Not true at all. That's for old battery technology. Li-ion is best not kept at 100% and charge it whenever you feel like it. Just best to keep it in a state of discharge rather than fully charged.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Not true at all. That's for old battery technology. Li-ion is best not kept at 100% and charge it whenever you feel like it. Just best to keep it in a state of discharge rather than fully charged.

But also not often let go to close to total discharge. i like 20-85. lol. I've even gotten into the habit of charging via my usb so it slow charges, having read that helps long term battery life *shrug*

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be some serious battery problems on KitKat. Battery was a heck of a lot better on 4.2. Hopefully Motorola addresses these issues quickly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan