Moto X wifi battery use

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have only had my Moto X for a few days and immediately udpated to KitKat.

My battery life seems fine and comparable to other Moto X users I have read, but if I go into battery it shows Wifi as using 15-20% of my total battery. The weird thing is the whole entire time wifi has either been turned OFF or it is not connected to any wifi. I essentially never use wifi. My old Galaxy Nexus never showed this much wifi battery usage and I left it on all the time as well, whether connected to wifi or not.

Screenshot_2013-11-22-17-16-44.png
Screenshot_2013-11-23-09-09-47.png
In this third screen shot, wifi has actually been turned off the entire time...
Screenshot_2013-11-23-09-09-51.png

Ckhb

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing similar results with my wifi and I'm also noticing my phone not sleeping as much unless I restart. Battery life still seems good so maybe it's a bug with how wifi is reporting in kitkat? Is your phone sleeping when not in use?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
In 4.3+ android has a toggle in the advanced settings that allows wifi to scan for wifi connections even when wifi is off. This is to help with low powered locating for apps like google now and weather apps. From my experience with this setting on my nexus 7 2013 and the last couple days on moto x, it should not drain a lot of battery. I, honestly, don't fully trust the built in battery stats fully. But if this is worrying you, you can turn off this feature.

Ckhb

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't trust them much either and I'm not too concerned since battery life still seems solid. That setting for wifi scanning was already turned off so don't think that's the issue. I'm just a little paranoid since BBS and wakelock detector aren't working I feel I have less control. I think it's just a bug in the battery reporting. Question for the op though, have you done a clean install?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually just noticed that WiFi setting under advanced today.

As to the clean install, I literally took my Moto X out if the box and updated to KitKat. So no, I have not done a clean install. I don't feel like the battery use is abnormal or bad compared to what I read on the internet. The WiFi use just jumped out at me since my usage hasn't changed from my Gnex.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay