Moto X on Straight Talk

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi
My sister is considering getting a Moto X on Monday during the Cyber Monday sale, and I have a few questions on which one to get. She has a AT&T SIM with LTE through the straight talk $45 a month, and I was wondering if she needed to get the regular AT&T phone off contract, or get the Developer Edition. They both have the necessary bands; however, I have no idea if the AT&T version will work on Straight Talk without any hacks. She really doesn't want the developer edition, as she wants it to be customized, but she would settle for it if she needed to.

Thanks
Chad.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

GriffenD

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought an unlocked T-Mobile one that still has all the att bands. I use an art straight talk Sim and have no issues. You'd just need to cut it down to a nano Sim card (check Google for a guide or buy a cutter cheap on eBay). Good luck with your device. :)

Posted via Android Central App

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought an unlocked T-Mobile one that still has all the att bands. I use an art straight talk Sim and have no issues. You'd just need to cut it down to a nano Sim card (check Google for a guide or buy a cutter cheap on eBay). Good luck with your device. :)

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a customized one, or the unlocked one made for T-Mobile? My sister really wants the customized version, but I have no idea whether the ATT one is SIM locked.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
You can be pretty sure that AT&T will be sim locked, but you should be able to get a customized T-Mobile version.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You can be pretty sure that AT&T will be sim locked, but you should be able to get a customized T-Mobile version.

OK, so if I get the regular T-Mobile one customized, it will just work with the ATT SIM card with Straight Talk with no hacks or unlocking?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The Tmo version will come SIM unlocked and is best if you have an interest in moving between ATT and Tmo. The ATT version will work fine as your sister will be using an ATT SIM. The Tmo version and the GSM Dev edition are exactly the same phone except you can customize the Tmo version.

GriffenD

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a customized one, or the unlocked one made for T-Mobile? My sister really wants the customized version, but I have no idea whether the ATT one is SIM locked.

I got it designed on motomaker. I think the att one is locked and has carrier branding and some bloat.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The Tmo version will come SIM unlocked and is best if you have an interest in moving between ATT and Tmo. The ATT version will work fine as your sister will be using an ATT SIM. The Tmo version and the GSM Dev edition are exactly the same phone except you can customize the Tmo version.

OK, as long as the T-Mobile one works with AT&T, I think we'll go with that one.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, as long as the T-Mobile one works with AT&T, I think we'll go with that one.

That's exactly what I'm doing for my wife. She'll be on Net10 AT&T (same as Straight Talk) and I'm going with the T-Mobile version. I guess if it doesn't work we're both in trouble!

I told her she has until 9AM Monday (I live on the East coast) to play with the customization, and she's enjoying it and looking forward to a phone with colors of her choosing! So far she's gotten my castoffs. But don't be too rough on me, she's now using a Nexus 4. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol