Batteryguru

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Complete noob at this...

Posted via Android Central App
Everyone starts somewhere! However, I recommend not rooting until you fully grasp exactly what's going on. Here are some quick tips in the battery life department that will help cut down on unnecessary partial wakelocks which will extend your battery life. I'm assuming you're having issues in that department?

1) Go through all your apps and widgets. Anything you have set to refresh on a time interval (like 5 minutes, 60 minutes, etc) change it. If you can live with it, set them to manual refresh. Anything that has push notifications that you can life without, turn them off. Example: The Sam's Club App. I can live without push notifications. Blackberry Messenger, I can't. Luckily the latter sips battery. Every time this stuff refreshes, they wake the phone up and all the other apps that only refresh when the phone is awake. AKA, everything.
2) Turn your vibrate/haptic feedback off as well as all the audible tones like clicking with the keyboard. These use a process called "AudioOut_1 or 2 or 3" and Android has a long time bug in it where this process can, well, will, cause partial wakelocks.
3) Go to: Settings/Location/Mode and set it to "Device Only".
4) Go to: Settings/Location/Google Location Reporting and turn everything off.

Doing those 4 things, while time consuming (at least #1 is), should be a big, big help. I have not rooted my Moto X yet, and I'm not really in a hurry to. Doing what I suggested has me cranking out 24 hours worth of battery life, easy, with about 3 hours of screen on time (on a lot of WiFi I should mention). I'm happy with that. Try my suggestions, reboot, and give it a couple of days and see if things don't settle out for you. That said, if you do decide to root eventually, I echo the recommendation on Greenify. It's an AWESOME app. From what I can tell, I don't have a lot of crazy partial wakelock issues with this phone, but there's no doubt that killing things with Greenify would only extend battery life. And even on my old phone I could deal with a few apps taking a few seconds to open. Greenify and Cerberus are the only two apps I miss that I need root for. I don't feel like I absolutely need Greenify and the want for Cerberus doesn't outweigh my laziness in rooting. ;)

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
While helpful tips, number 3 and 4 basically shut off anything helpful that google now provides. As well a number of other things that most people use/buy a smartphone for.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
While helpful tips, number 3 and 4 basically shut off anything helpful that google now provides. As well a number of other things that most people use/buy a smartphone for.

I agree. I have everything possible turned on except BT and WiFi, which I don't use...see my pic below.

I think the most critical thing for decent battery life is to have a reliable, strong signal and if the signal isn't there for your carrier and no other carrier is a viable choice, then do what you can to plug in whenever possible. I charge overnight, every night to start at 100% each day.

Battery.png

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried it for several weeks on the droid Maxx and once I got rid of it my battery life improved significantly.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz