Upgrading to Moto X from S3 - will I lose Unlimited Data on Verizon?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to reserve one of Motorola's Cyber Monday $150 vouchers and was cruising along in MotoMaker building my murdered-out Moto X. In all the excitement, I didn't take a close look at all of the X's specs. I didn't realize that the X uses a nano SIM card. I don't want to cut or modify my S3's micro SIM so it looks like I'll need to swap SIMs for the X. My main concern with doing this is losing my unlimited data plan with Verizon.

Has anyone else been in this same situation? If so, were you able to make a SIM swap without any modifications to your plan?

FreakSquadJK

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
No worries - even if you select Verizon and "no contract" on Motomaker, it ships with a SIM card already installed. To activate it you just call (from a different phone) a Verizon number that's on a read me first sheet in the box, give them the ESN and you're good to go, still with your same plan (that's how it all went for me in a similar situation).

Posted via Android Central App

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
If you ordered a verizon moto x it should come with a sim card. Just go to a verizon store and they'll switch you over to the new phone. Won't change your contract at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Like what the others said, I'd also like to clarify: you are buying a phone at an off-contract price. Because Verizon is not subsidizing your "upgrade," i.e. you're not paying for the phone at a contract price, then your current plan with Verizon remains untouched.

Another way of saying it:

An "upgrade" that involves buying the phone with a 2-year contract will force you to change your plan on Verizon's terms.

An "upgrade" in which you pay for the full price of the phone yourself - which is the case here, albeit at a great sale (FTW!) - involves no contract and thus no plan changes.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I used the methods described in other threads to upgrade and activate on a dumb-phone line I already have and then move it to my unlimited. All of this was possible through Verizon's website with no human interaction involved.

I know that this is not the same thing, but I have to believe that the last part is. If you have a Moto X with a Verizon sim in it, there should be no issues activating on your unlimited.

As an aside, I think I see where they will get a lot of us grandfathered unlimited customers. It does not see like you can get non-shared data plans anymore. If you have a non-unlimited line you want to add/change data on, you have to go with a shared plan. Changing any line from non-shared to shared means that any line with unlimited on the account loses it.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies. Now that I think about it, this makes perfect sense and I faced a similar issue when I upgraded my Droid Inc (no SIM) to my current S3. However, It is nice to get confirmation from those who have successfully upgraded without losing their unlimited data.

Pollster - oh well, I suppose unlimited data on Verizon won't be around forever (bummer!) but I'm holding on to it as long as I can! Also, I saw some reports that VZW had closed the dummy-line upgrade transfer loophole. Either way, I'll stick with buying my own off-contract phones (when I can get them for a decent price) to minimize the risk of losing my plan.

Now back to MotoMaker to see if I'm still digging the all-black configuration I was working on.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I pulled the trigger on an all-black (solid black back, from, black accents) last night. It's not the most exciting combination but I spent some time looking at a MotoMaker display in a local store and I honestly didn't care much for any of the other color combinations. Additionally, I imagine a classic black Moto X would be easier to unload when it's time for my next upgrade.

I'm looking forward to it and if any Verizon S3 owners have any questions about how my experience with the Moto X compares, let me know and I'll try to provide what information I can.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It does not see like you can get non-shared data plans anymore. If you have a non-unlimited line you want to add/change data on, you have to go with a shared plan.

The option doesn't appear for new customers. Current customers are still able to get tiered, non-shared data plans, I believe.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up...

I received my new Moto X yesterday. There's an insert in the shrinkwrap that explains the activation process. It took a quick call to Verizon and was pretty painless.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase but so far this is a nice upgrade from my S3. It's not a night-and-day upgrade since the S3 is still a pretty capable device but there's a lot to like about the Moto X. If any S3 owners out there are thinking about the X and have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

cheaplikeafox

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up...

I received my new Moto X yesterday. There's an insert in the shrinkwrap that explains the activation process. It took a quick call to Verizon and was pretty painless.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase but so far this is a nice upgrade from my S3. It's not a night-and-day upgrade since the S3 is still a pretty capable device but there's a lot to like about the Moto X. If any S3 owners out there are thinking about the X and have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

I have a GS3 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the Moto X. Would you consider this a major upgrade or just incremental? In other threads, people were saying it was a night and day upgrade and even compared it to going from a flip phone to a smartphone. Looking at the specs, it looks like a minor upgrade. My GS3 has terrible battery life, which is probably because I don't have a good signal at work. I didn't like how the GS3 was so slippery so I have a case for it which makes it kind of bulky now but at least it's less likely to fall. Could you list some pros/cons with the Moto X compared to the GS3? Would you recommend upgrading? I've only had my GS3 for less than a year so I don't know if it's worth it.

Thanks.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Even though I've got a shiny new phone, I'll try to answer as objectively as possible.

I have a GS3 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the Moto X. Would you consider this a major upgrade or just incremental? In other threads, people were saying it was a night and day upgrade and even compared it to going from a flip phone to a smartphone. Looking at the specs, it looks like a minor upgrade.

IMO, going from the S3 to the Moto X is an incremental upgrade. "flip phone to a smartphone"? Not even close. If you have the money to spare and are an Android device enthusiast, I think it's a justified purchase. If not, then you should wait for the next round of phones.

In a few reviews, the Moto X performs favorably alongside the S4. The S4 in some reviews is not considered a big leap from the S3. If the S4 can't eclipse the S3, how can the Moto X?

As far as on-paper specs, I agree with what most are saying in that it's not always about the numbers. My Moto X runs noticeably smoother than my S3 for day-to-day tasks.

My GS3 has terrible battery life, which is probably because I don't have a good signal at work.

When I first got my Moto X, battery life was great. Easily the "no need to charge during the day" type of phone. As of 1-2 weeks ago, something changed and I can't figure out what. Battery life is actually WORSE than my S3 under similar conditions (WiFi only, sitting idle on my desk). Motorola is talking to customers and is aggressively trying to figure this out. To be clear, the phone is still very usable on a daily basis, but I'm just not seeing the battery life I did as when I first got it. Additionally, not all Moto X owners are seeing the same mysterious battery drain issue.

I didn't like how the GS3 was so slippery so I have a case for it which makes it kind of bulky now but at least it's less likely to fall.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the form factor and feel of the Moto X is a 9. The S3 is a 5. While I use those "quicksand" polycarbonate textured cases on both phones, the Moto X in-hand feel is far superior to the S3.

Could you list some pros/cons with the Moto X compared to the GS3? Would you recommend upgrading? I've only had my GS3 for less than a year so I don't know if it's worth it.

It's tough to list the pros and cons of both phones since what's important to one user might not be that big a deal for another. Here's what I like about either phone:

S3
  • usable screen real estate (larger physical display, no soft buttons)
  • SD card
  • removeable battery
  • still very much a valid device

Moto X
  • all the "hyped" features (active notifications, always listening) actually work as advertised and are surprisingly very useful
  • battery life (before the latest change)
  • speaker sounds a lot better
  • in terms of user interface response time and overall "snappy" feel, the Moto X is a lot smoother than the S3
  • form factor - the contours of the Moto X sits better in the hand without giving up much physical screen size
  • support and direct Google connection. Multiple people have been complaining about battery drain that started a couple of weeks ago. Motorola support team members have personally been involved in Google+ threads and forum discussions and communicating back to Motorola engineering teams. I've never seen that with Samsung.

In summary, if you're an Android enthusiast the Moto X is a good purchase. If you're a casual user then I think you would be better off saving your money for the next generation of devices.

mjrobards

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes I work for TCC, although you will lose your unlimited data. They offer a 6gb for the price of 2gb. So depending on how much DATA you use, that might benifit. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cheaplikeafox

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough answer sixty four! It was very helpful. I think I might pass on the moto x then. I've only had the GS3 for less than a year so maybe I'll just wait for the 2nd gen moto x.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I used the methods described in other threads to upgrade and activate on a dumb-phone line I already have and then move it to my unlimited. All of this was possible through Verizon's website with no human interaction involved.
Thread is on the verizon forum of this web site.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Another for the Moto X "con" column - WiFi performance on my X is consistently 30-50% slower in download rates when tested using Speedtest when compared to my s3 and nexus 7. 4g performance seems comparable but that's harder to test so I can't say for sure.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The option doesn't appear for new customers. Current customers are still able to get tiered, non-shared data plans, I believe.

Just upgraded my son to Android from a flip-phone. He had no data, my other kid had tiered, Wife and I unlimited. I was offered tiered for him and no change to the other three of us.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey