Any upgraders from Droid Razr Maxx?

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Trying to figure out if I want to buy an off-contract Moto X with the current sale. Any experiences here from Moto X owners who previously used Droid Razr Maxx? How is battery life in comparison? How about lag, especially with google voice commands?

Biggest beef with the current phone is that I do like to use the voice actions when driving (e.g. call home, navigate to x) but often takes 2+ tries for it to recognize properly. Often when I first hit the voice search button it takes about 15 sec to be ready...

Would appreciate input from people who have owned both.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am in the exact same boat (so I can't answer your question directly, sorry!). My only input is that when I played around with both the X and the Droid Maxx at the local VZW store, I did find the difference in screen size to be noticeable. I thought a 4.7" screen and a 5" screen would look about the same, but the 5" screen of the Maxx really did make a difference for me. So I'm just going to grit my teeth and wait until my upgrade in March. Sigh.

stameyryan

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the RAZR not the maxx but battery life on this phone is outstanding. I won't put it in the same category as the maxx but heavy use I do all day long and it goes for about 17hrs or so. As far as voice the moto x is made for that specifically and something I use all the time. It works better then any other voice driven system I have used. I am not a fan Boy nor am I the type to "steer" people one direction or the other and I do work for the factory that builds it so yeah I maybe a lil biased but I am a phone junkie and will prob change to another phone but I will never sell this one...

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I am in the exact same boat (so I can't answer your question directly, sorry!). My only input is that when I played around with both the X and the Droid Maxx at the local VZW store, I did find the difference in screen size to be noticeable. I thought a 4.7" screen and a 5" screen would look about the same, but the 5" screen of the Maxx really did make a difference for me. So I'm just going to grit my teeth and wait until my upgrade in March. Sigh.

I agree about the screen size difference between the Moto X and the Droid Maxx. I think the reason the Droid Maxx screen appears so much bigger is because the Droid Maxx has capacitive buttons and the Moto x uses on-screen buttons.

It appears the OP has a first gen Razr Maxx so the 4.3" screen he currently has will be about the same size as the Moto X's 4.7" screen with capacitive buttons.

Concerning the OP's original question, I don't have an answer because I just ordered a Moto X but I'm thinking the battery life is going to be pretty close to the same as my first gen Razr Maxx since the Razr Maxx has lost some battery capacity with age.

Dojam

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I did the switch from the Droid Razr Maxx HD and the only thing different is the battery, before I could go two days without charging, now i have to charge it every night but i still have around 60 % left with normal use and around 20 % with heavy use. I usually unplugged around 6:30 am and plugged it back around 10:30 pm. Phone performance is in another class on its own, can't really compare, Maxx was too laggy, Moto X haven't lag at all since 9/28...

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I returned my moto x and went back to my razr maxx (original). I couldn't live with the battery life. With the maxx, I went from ending the day at 70% battery (16 hours off charger with 3+ hours screen time) to having the phone dying at 6pm. Spoiled by the maxx. I don't want to have to charge my phone during the middle of the day.

If the X had a bigger battery, it would be perfect. I had to compromise my usage to keep the phone. If you are a heavy battery user, I don't think the x will get you through the day.

Going to switch to a new Maxx.

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I returned my moto x and went back to my razr maxx (original). I couldn't live with the battery life. With the maxx, I went from ending the day at 70% battery (16 hours off charger with 3+ hours screen time) to having the phone dying at 6pm. Spoiled by the maxx. I don't want to have to charge my phone during the middle of the day.

If the X had a bigger battery, it would be perfect. I had to compromise my usage to keep the phone. If you are a heavy battery user, I don't think the x will get you through the day.

Going to switch to a new Maxx.
Thanks all for the replies. drvier8- curious how long you had your phone. I have heard that for some reason the battery life of some phones settles down after a couple weeks of usage.

burt64

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I did the switch from the Droid Razr Maxx HD and the only thing different is the battery, before I could go two days without charging, now i have to charge it every night but i still have around 60 % left with normal use and around 20 % with heavy use. I usually unplugged around 6:30 am and plugged it back around 10:30 pm. Phone performance is in another class on its own, can't really compare, Maxx was too laggy, Moto X haven't lag at all since 9/28...

Dojam - thx for post. that's good to know. Biggest issue I have with the Maxx right now is lag.

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I went from a droid RAZR Maxx to the droid Maxx, so similar to what you're asking.

SOT is much better with the MAXX. Moto X may even compare to the RAZR Maxx, it's that much better.

Talk time is similar.

Idle drain is similar connected to LTE and actually worse on the new MAXX connected to wifi and even in airplane mode. Moto X will probably suffer here, but there seems to be a lot of variability.

The lag from the RAZR Maxx is 100% gone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. drvier8- curious how long you had your phone. I have heard that for some reason the battery life of some phones settles down after a couple weeks of usage.

I returned it on day 14. It got worse with the KK update and I didn't want to get stuck with it, so I sent it back while I could for a full refund. There are things I could have done that probably would have improved it some (disabling location settings, turning off autosyncing for Facebook and twitter, etc.), but it would probably only get me to maybe 14 hours a day at the cost of not using the phone the way I want to.

I've had the droid 2 and then the razr maxx. The maxx especially has great battery life. I never have to think about charging during the day and I can run anything I want without thought. I knew the X wasn't going to match the maxx, but 10 hours was ridiculous.

Going to watch to see an update comes and then I might buy an X again. Or I may just buy a new Droid Maxx.