Essential software setups?

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've decided I'm really going to give Android a try after years of iOS. I have sold my iPhone so all I'm left with is my Moto X. Now, I'm trying to get the best experience possible for my device and I'm wondering what people have settled on as an essential setup to be able to use the phone and OS to its fullest.

So far, I've got NOVA launcher as my default launcher. I've tried Holo locker for my lock screen but it doesn't seem to work either Google Now very well. Aside from those two, I'm not sure where to go. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of utilities to manage the overrun Share menu, etc. TIA.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've decided I'm really going to give Android a try after years of iOS. I have sold my iPhone so all I'm left with is my Moto X. Now, I'm trying to get the best experience possible for my device and I'm wondering what people have settled on as an essential setup to be able to use the phone and OS to its fullest.

So far, I've got NOVA launcher as my default launcher. I've tried Holo locker for my lock screen but it doesn't seem to work either Google Now very well. Aside from those two, I'm not sure where to go. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of utilities to manage the overrun Share menu, etc. TIA.

Here is some more info on Nova: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html

Ever since I had a device running 4.2 and better, I have loved Dashclock. It adds info to your lockscreen, like weather, battery level (separate extension for that), etc. Now this will make another page in the lockscreen, so when you get this, your original will have to be deleted. To do so, press and hold the original, and a remove function should appear.

Other than that, the Play store is your oyster....have at it!
Welcome to Android.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm really interested in figuring out how to use Tasker. I have a very complicated schedule and anything I can do to optimize my phone would be great. Anyone using it?

I bought a few essential apps a couple of years ago when I tried the Galaxy Nexus for a while. One of those was Swiftkey for $.99. I love that app. I do find that I type faster with it - way faster - but it's exhausting to use. Something about switching tasks between typing/spelling to seeking/reading makes it tiring.

anon(79053)

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I use Tasker to manage the sounds on my phone at work. When in meetings, the phone goes on silent & vibrate. When not in meetings, the sounds are on low. When I leave any of our buildings, the volume goes up to max. When I enter a building, volumes go to low again.