How to unlock phone to use abroad?

mxx2

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

I'm going abroad on Jan 1 for 12 months and want to get the GSM version Moto X to bring it with me, but I don't know if this can be done.

The options are AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T requires 6 months usage before they unlock, and T-Mobile requires 40 days, of which the last 7 must be in the US. So these are not options.

I then read about various "unlock" services online, but don't know how reliable these are. What are the odds they can unlock my phone, either AT&T or T-Mobile? This link for example claims that there was a change just 1-2 months ago so that it's virtually impossible to unlock AT&T now. If I buy this phone, I need to be almost 100% certain it's possible to unlock it, or it's not worth taking the risk.

Finally, would it be possible to unlock the phone by rooting it? I understand the bootloader for the T-Mobile version can be unlocked, but have no idea if, and if so how, this helps me.

Thanks in advance.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile has very little to do with the "T-Mobile" Moto X. In fact, T-Mobile does. It stock the Moto X at all. You buy it full-price direct from Motorola.

And it ships unlocked.

Posted via Android Central App