Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Love my X, hate Enterprise email

I have had a moto x for a little over a week now and am loving it. I recently decided to add my corporate email account and it just about ruined my experience. I do not have to add my enterprise email, but, it is convenient to be able to add my work calendar to my calendar app and see what I have in store the next day without logging on to my email on my laptop. Anyone find an app that can help with pin unlock associated with enterprise email? Are there any root apps that can bypass or make it easy to pin unlock the device, basically I loose active display preview and most of the touchless control features due to having to pin unlock with a 6 digit code. Thanks

AFAIK, that's a policy enforced by your work's email administrators and not by Android. By design, it's not meant to be bypassed. You'll run into this regardless of your phone, Apple included.
    Thanked by 2:
    DS1331Ry 
    Ry and DS1331 like this.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts

Default Re: Love my X, hate Enterprise email

Use Touchdown. I've used it for 3 years now and it keeps getting better. If your company requires a password you will need one to get into the app but not the phone. They offer a 30 day trial and then you have to buy the app.

Sent from my Moto X
    Thanked by 2:
    phositadcRy 
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rvandroid View Post
    AFAIK, that's a policy enforced by your work's email administrators and not by Android. By design, it's not meant to be bypassed. You'll run into this regardless of your phone, Apple included.
    he's right my work used to do the same, if you want email on your phone your company will make you use a pass code on the lock screen

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cwbcpa View Post
    Use Touchdown. I've used it for 3 years now and it keeps getting better. If your company requires a password you will need one to get into the app but not the phone. They offer a 30 day trial and then you have to buy the app.

Sent from my Moto X
    I've recently started using Touchdown (not cheap, but a GREAT program). This is after using the built-in client for years. If the cost doesn't scare you off, it is well worth the purchase. It's a good solid client... perhaps a bit clunky as you dig deep into options... but very nice to use. As posted above, that should keep you from needing a pin on the home screen and it sandboxes the security policies your company enforces to just the Touchdown app instead of your entire phone. I feel like battery drain has been less than the built-in client, and I highly recommend it.

If you are looking for a calendar/agenda widget that shows both gmail calendars, corporate and/or others as well -- not all of them can do that. I picked up Pure Calendar Widget ($2) because it was one of the few that could do both (and it was the best-looking of the ones that do).
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
    cwbcpa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cwbcpa View Post

Sent from my Moto X
    This.

Sent from my XT1053

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Enhanced Email allows you to bypass the PIN completely. It is also cheaper than touchdown.

I also could not find a way to link Touchdown to my calendar, it looked to me like it included its own calendar. Enhanced Email syncs both contacts and calendar.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
    Enhanced Email allows you to bypass the PIN completely. It is also cheaper than touchdown.

I also could not find a way to link Touchdown to my calendar, it looked to me like it included its own calendar. Enhanced Email syncs both contacts and calendar.
    I don't believe that Touchdown will link to the stock calendar. It does have it's own.

I looked at Enhanced Email recently just to compare. It appears that the developer has not been keeping up with updates. A lot of complaints about issues with the app recently. I have not used it so I don't know if they are legitimate complaints or not. Maybe the above poster can weigh in on those.

I will say that the Touchdown app is continuously updated and improved. I am all for saving money but sometimes you get what you pay for. I will gladly spend an extra $10 for an app that is so important to me. That's just me though. Different priorities for each of us.

Sent from my Moto X

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

I can't weigh in much yet on Ehanced Email with Kit Kat as I just re-installed it last night. I did not have any major issues when I had my GS4, but have been using an iPhone for the past few months. I do see where it has not been updated since July.

One other free option for the OP, if he doesn't mind not having a combined personal and work calendar, is to find a copy of google calendar sync (you cannot get it from google anymore but it is still floating around and will still work) and simply sync his work calendar with this gmail calendar. If he did that, he wouldn't have to have access to his work calendar as all events would be already synced to his google calendar.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks all for the information, I know that the PIN is required by my enterprise administrator,but, I figured where there is a will, and root, there is a way. I will start trying these suggestions , thanks again.

You can also use the Motorola Skip or trusted bluetooth to unlock your phone. The Skip uses NFC, costs $15 from Motorola, and comes with 3 skip dots.

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I considered the skip, but wasn't sure if it would work.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I don't mind the combined email, I found a link for G calendar sync and my institution does use google for education but I have to do some reading to figure out how to use it.

Others have used the Skip, search the forum. Same with trusted bluetooth.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I downloaded the free version and I am going to configure it tomorrow. $20 isn't so bad for the convenience, my alternatives are screen lock which will ruin the Moto X experience or being issued a blackberry and having to carry 2 phones which I have avoided. My work issued BB has been in my work bag dead for 2 years now.

I've used Touchdown and Enhanced Email for the last year and a half. Both let you bypass your companies mobile phone security policy. Overall, I like the feel of EE. My only complaint of EE would be it doesn't sync Tasks or Notes.
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 

This is my advice. Purchase this below and setup trusted Bluetooth. Make your life simple. The NFC skip is magnetic like and sometimes jump to a pole, car, or lost. At least this is on a keychain and always unlock ur x.

Cobra Tag Bluetooth key chain $12 shipped at Groupon

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by globster2000 View Post
    This is my advice. Purchase this below and setup trusted Bluetooth. Make your life simple. The NFC skip is magnetic like and sometimes jump to a pole, car, or lost. At least this is on a keychain and always unlock ur x.

Cobra Tag Bluetooth key chain $12 shipped at Groupon - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Trusted bluetooth (and the Motorola Skip) will not work with Exchange Security policies, at least on Exchange 2010). The option in settings to utilize trusted bluetooth is greyed out and cannot be selected. I'm told by my tech group that the security policies disable the feature.

Does anyone know an alternative email app for exchange that will sync calendar with the Google calendar app?

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

I would love to know this as well........ About to go back to my HTC One as the stock mail app is so much better. Especially since it lets you view folders in the main inbox.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

So...at least for my own company: I would not want to be found using "techniques" to bypass the security they have established as policy. They would not be happy with me. So not happy with me that it is possible I would be invited to explore employment opportunities outside the corporation. Just...be careful out there.

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

I use g-Syncit to push my work calendar to Google, then only display the Google calendar on my phone.
    Actually, I have full synchronization, including categories between my work and Google calendars. It works for me, it might work for you.
    webOS Refugee

The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo 180.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirflex View Post
    I would love to know this as well........ About to go back to my HTC One as the stock mail app is so much better. Especially since it lets you view folders in the main inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanleywinthrop View Post
    Does anyone know an alternative email app for exchange that will sync calendar with the Google calendar app?

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    Not sure if you need a full app, but I found two widgets that will display the combined Google and Touchdown calendar (and some others, check descriptions): "Pure Calendar widget (agenda)" and "Agenda Widget for Android". Pure Calendar looks much better IMO. Basically I needed to replace Business Calendar's widget when I switched to Touchdown and I have it looking nearly identical.

Edit: You can set Pure Calendar widget to open whichever calendar program you want, or even to prompt you which you want to open each time, so you can sorta get by without a dedicated app that shows both.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

It's not the same, should be a straight forward kind of thing. Installing app after app just to get basic functionality working is too much.

You might try Moxier Mail. On Touchdown, I couldn't open attachments. On Moxier Mail, everything works--email-calendar-tasks and the pin code is used to access the program, not the phone so your regular lock screen is fine.
    jants13 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast