Was the $349 promotion for an "UNLOCKED" or OFF-contract Moto X?

Fremens_Dune

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I was able to get a promo code for "unlocked" Moto X on Motorola website. They had the Cyber Monday promotion. I placed my order last night and when I received the order confirmation, it showed "Moto X for AT&t". So, I called Moto's customer service this morning and they kept telling me that the promotion was never for an "unlocked" phone; it was for an off-contract phone. I am 100% sure the website promotion showed "Unlocked" Moto X for $349. Why else would people jump all over it and buy the limited quantity within 7-minutes?

Can somebody please clarify this for me? Was the promotion for an "Unlocked" Moto X or an off-contract "Moto X"? Motorola customer support, which is in India, keeps telling me it would still be under At&t but will have no-contract. BUT IT'S NOT UNLOCKED!!!

Thanks much!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I was able to get a promo code for "unlocked" Moto X on Motorola website. They had the Cyber Monday promotion. I placed my order last night and when I received the order confirmation, it showed "Moto X for AT&t". So, I called Moto's customer service this morning and they kept telling me that the promotion was never for an "unlocked" phone; it was for an off-contract phone. I am 100% sure the website promotion showed "Unlocked" Moto X for $349. Why else would people jump all over it and buy the limited quantity within 7-minutes?

Can somebody please clarify this for me? Was the promotion for an "Unlocked" Moto X or an off-contract "Moto X"? Motorola customer support, which is in India, keeps telling me it would still be under At&t but will have no-contract. BUT IT'S NOT UNLOCKED!!!

Thanks much!

For the AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon models, it was a sale for an off-contract phone. Verizon's version is not carrier/SIM-locked. AT&T's is. I'm not sure about Sprint. Since you bought it full-retail, it should be relatively easy to request an unlock code from AT&T.

The T-Mobile version is already carrier/SIM-unlocked.

The GSM Developer Edition and Verizon Developer editions that were on sale during their first attempt at the Cyber Monday sale both ship SIM unlocked with the ability to easily unlock the bootloader.

maneater869

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
For the AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon models, it was a sale for an off-contract phone. Verizon's version is not carrier/SIM-locked. AT&T's is. I'm not sure about Sprint. Since you bought it full-retail, it should be relatively easy to request an unlock code from AT&T.

The T-Mobile version is already carrier/SIM-unlocked.

The GSM Developer Edition and Verizon Developer editions that were on sale during their first attempt at the Cyber Monday sale both ship SIM unlocked with the ability to easily unlock the bootloader.

I am so confused. So if I select the Verizon off contract phone does that mean I can only use on Verizon? I was thinking i could try Straight Talk. They say they support CDMA now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am so confused. So if I select the Verizon off contract phone does that mean I can only use on Verizon? I was thinking i could try Straight Talk. They say they support CDMA now.

The Verizon model has GSM radios as well.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I believe customers have to check with Straight Talk to see if their phone is supported. Not all Verizon CDMA phones will work from what I've read.

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The only truly unlocked version other than the Dev edition is the T-Mobile version. You should see about switching your order to a T-Mobile version otherwise you will have to Sim unlock the AT&T version before using it on another gsm carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy