Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Default MOTO-X...... Definitely not what I expected

I knew the camera sucked and that it is a small device, but I didn't expect the screen to be sub-par also. The scene is bright, but video playback sucks. Definitely not worth it! especially since u can get a Nexus 5 for the same price.

Being able to customize it isn't what it's cracked up to be if u really take the whole process into consideration. U can only chose 2 colors for the front bezel, a few colors for the accents and having a signature or writing on the back of the phone will decrease the resale value. And lets face it, half of us will be selling this thing when the S5 comes out.

The design is excellent, but way to small for my hands. Also, it's a heavy phone, way heavier than the Nexus 5.

The always listening feature on the phone is good, but since we live in the real world and lock our phones, it won't work the way u want it to.

The battery life is sick, but at what cost?

I figured that the pros will out-weigh the cons, but I was totally wrong.

U guys out there still waiting for ur device to be shipped... do yourself a favor and cancel! get the Nexus 5 instead.

EDITED BY MODERATOR.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: MOTO-X...... Definitely not what I expected

lol. Too small for his hands = too small for everyone else. lol. Whole post was fabulous, esp the part about the S5. lol
    Thanked by:
    TheLibertarian and BCWARE like this.

Global Posts
    22,254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I am inclined to disagree. My X runs circles around my old S3, which ran AOSP, slighly overclocked, and had a custom kernel.
    The rate TouchWiz is going, the S5 will have an OS that is probably 12 GB in size.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Hard to believe the X is way heavier than the Nexus when they are both exactly 130 grams...

Just goes to show what works for some doesn't necessarily cut it for everyone. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Sent from my unknown using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
    A895asdrew 
    Rizz1-2, dmark44, ffejjj and 5 others like this.

I have to assume you bought this online without ever going to a store to physically check it out. If you had, based on your comments, you would have saved yourself a lot of grief.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 3:
    meyerweb, TBolt, CR6 and 5 others like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Just goes to show what works for some doesn't necessarily cut it for everyone. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Sent from my unknown using AC Forums mobile app
    I agree about the bloat, but if it's a Aluminum S5 it will blow every phone out of the water. I will never buy a 16GB Galaxy S-Whatever again!

P.S. my bad about my initial post that was edited. I wasn't sure if the last part was allowed, but it won't happen again!
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
    Hard to believe the X is way heavier than the Nexus when they are both exactly 130 grams...
    I didn't weight it or check out the specs in regards to weight, but when holding both devices it feels heavier than the N5. And if it does weigh exactly the same then what does that say about the X being the smaller device?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankump View Post
    I have to assume you bought this online without ever going to a store to physically check it out. If you had, based on your comments, you would have saved yourself a lot of grief.

I did briefly look at it in best buy, but since it was a dummy phone u really don't get the full feeling of it. U really need to use the phone and do the things u normally do on a phone to know it won't work for u. That's why it took me 3 days to come to this. I don't think best buy will let me hang around for that long.
    ffejjj likes this.

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
    Do they fall at the same rate in a vacuum as well?

Quote Originally Posted by imurrx View Post
    Do they fall at the same rate in a vacuum as well?
    At the same rate as an iPhone 4s and a feather for that matter
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

There's no point in arguing when someone doesn't like a phone. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It's a real pain in the neck to have to swap. I've had my X for a month now and love it. I like the size - but I have small hands. I don't like the size of the Nexus 5 at all. I've watched plenty of video playback and been happy with it - but really, unless it's a short you tube video I don't waste my time on watching video on such a small screen, so it's not a big deal for me. The screen looks great to me.

All the same - good luck with your Nexus 5! One of the great things about Android is that there's a form factor for everyone's taste. We decide which phones we like best - we don't have a single company that decides for us....
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
    TBolt, asdrew, cwbcpa and 10 others like this.

That's cool we all have our opinions you hate the X just like I hate Samsung phones and can't stand them. good thing we all have a billion phones to choose from

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    Thanked by:
    JET4, asdrew, jephanie and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Better luck with the nexus. I own the htc one, moto x & nexus 5. If I had to keep only one it would be the moto x, hands down.

I'd never buy an SAnything or anythingS

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    7,721 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Totally disagree wuth OP on all counts.I had Samsung phones and Nexus phones before too.I definitely wont sell for an S5 .Between Sammy and the carrier loading it up with bloat or what I call useless apps(apps I never use).
    On the other hand even though there is some bloatware on the vzw Moto X I disable what I dont use.Its not as much as other vzw phones.I love the always listening and active notifications,gestures the Moto X has , as well as the size and the fact that it feels solid your hand.

Also opinions arent going to agree ha thats why there are more then one model of phone(s) with different features.
    tr-1 likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

I guess the poor little guy never stood a chance since I had the nexus 5 first. Been using it for a week before I received the X. I was ready to ship the nexus back if I like the X, but It didn't happened. I wanted to like it though. The X is a good phone at the on-contract price ($50), but definitely not worth 372 off contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Thanks for your opinion, we have many different phones and OS'es to choose from.
    Personally, the Moto X is the best phone I have ever owned.
    1. size is perfect, I tried the N5 and it was just little to big to be comfortable to me
    2. features - the always on is awesome and I use it all the time. I have my trusted BT devices which keep it unlocked and I also have the skip when out and about.
    3. The Moto Assist is great. I like the daydream mode, sleep and driving mode
    4. customization I have a black on black one so did not go through Moto Maker, it still looks great
    5. Quick updates
    6. Battery Life - hands down the best battery life of any phone I have had.
    7. Camera could be better, but overall not to bad after updates. You can see my picture I posted in the AC photo contest.

I will keep this phone until Moto releases a new version of it.

This is my opinion

I will say that if the Moto X was not out. The N5 would have been my choice, even with the size.

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

Im typing from the last Samsuck phone I'll ever own. The bloat is just terrible after using the Moto x. My Note 2 stutters and has slowed down over time. I dont need useless features to make myself feel good. If an aluminum back makes a device than whatever. Although Moto ceo said they will be using different materials in the future which might be cool. Its interesting to see how people view phones but the overall concept of the Moto x is so totally different, and i suspect goes over some peoples head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    TBolt likes this.

I NEVER buy a phone without going to a VZW store (they have actual live units on display) and spend about 30 minutes testing out features that I use regularly. I even ask the rep to disconnect it from the display and put it in my pocket to see how it feels.

It may be odd but I have yet to make a bad decision buying a phone. OK, I bought the Droid Eris over the original Droid but that was the only time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    jephanie and UJ95x like this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Have you guys got any suggestions for improving the camera? Got mine yesterday and really like it except for the pics. Spoiled by iPhone 5s maybe. A few other little things but more to like about it than not.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

UJ95x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pstmstr View Post
    Have you guys got any suggestions for improving the camera? Got mine yesterday and really like it except for the pics. Spoiled by iPhone 5s maybe. A few other little things but more to like about it than not

You can try using HDR it does wonders on some photos. If that doesn't work for you. After you take a photo go the gallery and a little pencil icon will appear on the bottom. Go to it and use the punch filter it makes photos look much better IMO.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    Totally disagree wuth OP on all counts.I had Samsung phones and Nexus phones before too.I definitely wont sell for an S5 .Between Sammy and the carrier loading it up with bloat or what I call useless apps(apps I never use).
    On the other hand even though there is some bloatware on the vzw Moto X I disable what I dont use.Its not as much as other vzw phones.I love the always listening and active notifications,gestures the Moto X has , as well as the size and the fact that it feels solid your hand.

Also opinions arent going to agree ha thats why there are more then one model of phone(s) with different features.
    Even though I'm really liking this N5, I would get a Goole edition S5 if it became available with the premium build. Let's face it ... the last few phones that were talked about and leak were right on point. I think a HTC One / Iphone looking S5 will definitely happen next year.

The only thing that even has me questioning not keeping the X is the camera. This thing is garbage compared to what I'm used to (last 3 phones - iPhone 5, DNA, S4). I have two kids and I use my phone for my digital camera. Everything else about this phone is perfect. It is the perfect Android phone, otherwise. And I like the camera interface/ease of use, but I'm having the hardest time getting a quality shot without the absolute perfect situation.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pstmstr View Post
    Have you guys got any suggestions for improving the camera? Got mine yesterday and really like it except for the pics. Spoiled by iPhone 5s maybe. A few other little things but more to like about it than not.

I tried using the HDR feature but it seems like it's hit or miss and don't try taking low light pictures because it will like u took the picture with the front facing camera. I updated the phone to kitkat hoping it would make a difference but I did not notice it.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast