Trusted devices not staying connected

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have my moto x paired with my nexus 7, but after a while it does not see the nexus 7 as a trusted device and I have to go back to swiping my password.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I have my moto x paired with my nexus 7, but after a while it does not see the nexus 7 as a trusted device and I have to go back to swiping my password.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Device-to-device (as opposed to device-to-peripheral) connections only remain established during the time of need such as data transfer. In that description, I'm defining device as a phone/tablet and a peripheral as a Bluetooth headset, smartwatch, speaker, etc. Connections to a peripheral remain connected even when idle.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
as 88 FLUX said, you'd need to connect to like a bluetooth speaker, smartwatch, headphones, etc. I kind of wish they had just a bluetooth dongle that did nothing else but connect to the Moto X, so I could use that at home as a trusted device.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm having problems with my Trusted Device (a Motorola Bluetooth earpiece) keeping my Moto X unlocked when the phone is plugged in and Daydream is on. Is anyone else having that problem?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm having problems with my Trusted Device (a Motorola Bluetooth earpiece) keeping my Moto X unlocked when the phone is plugged in and Daydream is on. Is anyone else having that problem?

I have not utilized Daydream yet but I can try it later today and get back to you.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Settings > Security > Trusted Devices and you'll find all your connected bluetooth devices, just check which ones you want to be trusted.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can also use a Windows 8 PC as a trusted device. It maintains a constant connection. I live in a fairly small apartment and my laptop can stay connected to my phone pretty much anywhere in my apartment.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can also use a Windows 8 PC as a trusted device. It maintains a constant connection. I live in a fairly small apartment and my laptop can stay connected to my phone pretty much anywhere in my apartment.

Must be something different in Windows 8, because I cannot get my Win7 laptop to stay actively connected.

I'm hoping Moto comes out with a keyfob kind of device designed to work really well with this feature. Something with a long battery that does nothing but act as a trusted device. I don't want an alarm. I don't want a speakerphone. Just something small on my keychain that keeps my phone unlocked when close by.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Must be something different in Windows 8, because I cannot get my Win7 laptop to stay actively connected.

I'm hoping Moto comes out with a keyfob kind of device designed to work really well with this feature. Something with a long battery that does nothing but act as a trusted device. I don't want an alarm. I don't want a speakerphone. Just something small on my keychain that keeps my phone unlocked when close by.

Windows 8 allows you to use your PC's mouse and keyboard to control your phone and put your phone's audio through your PC, so it needs to maintain a constant connection.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 allows you to use your PC's mouse and keyboard to control your phone and put your phone's audio through your PC, so it needs to maintain a constant connection.

Does it work without the audio connection? I can get it to stay active on Windows 7 if I route audio through the PC (essentially using the PC as a bluetooth headset). But I don't want to do that. All calls and notifications go through the PC speakers. I have a BT dongle on my stereo that also works as a trusted BT device if I keep it connected, but only if I leave the audio connected. My Beats Pill works the same way. I have no issues getting audio devices to work... I just don't want to leave my phone connected to external audio devices. As soon as I uncheck audio, they drop from an active connection.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it work without the audio connection? I can get it to stay active on Windows 7 if I route audio through the PC (essentially using the PC as a bluetooth headset). But I don't want to do that. All calls and notifications go through the PC speakers. I have a BT dongle on my stereo that also works as a trusted BT device if I keep it connected, but only if I leave the audio connected. My Beats Pill works the same way. I have no issues getting audio devices to work... I just don't want to leave my phone connected to external audio devices. As soon as I uncheck audio, they drop from an active connection.

I honestly haven't tried that. I'll check it out when I get home though.

chiefandrews

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I connected my Moto to my MacBook Pro. At first, the connection dropped. I guess, because as someone stated above, no data was transferring, so it shut off. So then I clicked "browse files on device" and it opened up a finder window. That is holding the connection!

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Trusted devices has nothing to do with how long a connection is held...
I use it in my car, which has this bluetooth hands free system... It has never ever lost connection, because the phone actually sees a bluetooth headset.
Now, if you are transferring some files or something like that over BT, after the transaction is made, the BT will disconnect...

If you want to leave your phone unlocked under certain circumstances, I'd recommend other apps, such as:
- No Lock : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=org.jraf.android.nolock&token=b-GJqqOj
Easy to use, has a widget that toggles modes... It does not work 100% on my moto x, but get the job done.
I say it does not work 100%, because some times while being unlocked, if you want to go into a hangout or something like that, it may ask you the unlock pattern... Not sure why...

- Trigger ( or some related ) - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher&token=mwVL3xj_
I think that you can set a no lock scenario when connected to a wifi, or other triggers...

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes it works without the audio connection (again, this is under Windows 8). My PC connects to it as both an audio and an input device. I disabled the audio connection, and since the input device connection is maintained, the connection does not drop. There is just a small program running on my PC that allows me to control the Moto X with the mouse and keyboard should I want to. I minimize it and go on my way.

spach1975

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

I just started using Timely in Daydream mode and have the problem. When I leave the Daydream mode I'm presented with a lock screen even though I'm still connected to a trusted device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol