Microphones used for Touchless Control

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi all. Need to know if this is a defect on my phone, please.

While driving, my Moto X hears me only when I am able to speak directly into the mic at the bottom of the phone. So, I have to pick the phone up out of the cup holder and speak into the bottom of the phone. When the phone is sitting bottom down in the cup holder, the phone won't respond even with a pretty strong yell in a closed, quiet vehicle.

Am I the only one?

At my desk, in a quiet office, the phone responds very well whether the bottom or top of the phone is pointed at me.

I see no way to boost the mics in Settings. If I've missed a setting somewhere, please let me know. Thank you!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have not had a problem with it hearing me in my truck. I lay the phone in a tray that is actually further away than the cup holder, however the microphone on the bottom is not down like you are describing. It could be that it is using the bottom mic and the fact that is down in the holder is preventing it from hearing you. You definitely should not have to speak directly into it for it to work though. Have you tried putting it in the holder top down and see if it hears you then?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Good advice about flipping the phone. I will try that next time. Thank you, cwb!

Sent from my custom Moto X using Tapatalk

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
down in the cup holder could be creating a muffle or echo effect to it, too, making it hard to understand you clearly.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Actually, I just found that I needed to re-train / re-record my voice in Touchless Control to get better (not excellent, yet) results. Each recording was spoken a bit lower than the previous -- seems to have helped.

Haven't tested it in the F-150 yet, but not expecting great results. It's a pretty loud ride after re-considering it.

I will submit feedback to Moto asking them to improve the noise cancellation -- testing in a bathroom with a quiet ceiling fan even failed.

Hope this helps someone later.

(I'm still not sure if I have a slightly defective mic, though.)

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have trouble with the phone mounted on the dash, hearing my requests at freeway speeds. I have to sometimes really raise my voice or yell to get "OK! Google Now" to respond. I saw another thread talking about the same issue? In a quiet environment it works very well. Maybe, a Motorola software update to the noise cancelling or separate volume control for Ok! Google Now function, would help this?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have trouble with the phone mounted on the dash, hearing my requests at freeway speeds. I have to sometimes really raise my voice or yell to get "OK! Google Now" to respond. I saw another thread talking about the same issue? In a quiet environment it works very well. Maybe, a Motorola software update to the noise cancelling or separate volume control for Ok! Google Now function, would help this?

Okay, so I'm not alone in this. Yes, if you have the time, please ask Moto to bump up the noise cancellation. I'm doing so via the Moto Care app.

If enough people report the issue, Moto may make the change.

Thank you for the input, too.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Here is my submission to Motorola in case you wanna save yourself some typing:

Hi. I and others have to ask the devs to please increase the noise cancellation when Touchless Control is being used. The phone does not respond to "OK Google Now" while driving unless the phone is picked up and placed near the mouth -- defeating the idea of hands free use while driving. Even a pretty quiet ceiling fan in a bathroom will prevent the phone from responding.

I am betting that the car noise and other background noises can be cancelled out better via a software update. Thank you.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Here is my submission to Motorola in case you wanna save yourself some typing:

Thanks TBolt, I've called Motorola and advised of this issue but you know how that goes.... I will submit the problem also via the Moto Care App as well. We need lot's of folks if they have the same problem contact Motorola for sure.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Not having this issue always wakes up to ok google now when in cup holder even with loud music in the car ..it always does... the only inconsistency I see is with catching the actual command after it wakes up when they're is lots of ambient noise but that is kind of expected

Posted via Android Central App

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Not having this issue always wakes up to ok google now when in cup holder even with loud music in the car ..it always does... the only inconsistency I see is with catching the actual command after it wakes up when they're is lots of ambient noise but that is kind of expected

Posted via Android Central App

Come to think about it, it's the actual command almost 90 percent of the time that this occurs. It does almost always hear "Ok! Google Now". Still not good if you have to handle your phone to give it the command after "Ok! Google Now". That will get the attention of a "copper" from where I live. In my humble opinion its a bit of a pain in the arse to have to yell at the device for the command/request also. I will see what transpires with my Motorola communication via phone and e-mail?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, I guess my issue is deeper. Last night, while testing voice commands, Touchless Control crashed once & Google Search crashed twice. Fortunately, I was able to send a report after each crash.

Somethings will get fixed.

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had the best results while using the phone holder at the windshield, and the front of the phone facing me...
I'd say that's the way it was designed to be used in the car, a non-silent or quiet environment... Of course I'd have to mute music for a moment to increase the chances of first time hit...
If it's not on the holder, I'd just leave it on the seat next to me, facing up... This time it does not always work, and I'd have to actually "point my mouth" to the device...
Other position I've tried, is to leave it on my front pocket, in my shirt...
Also, had mixed results while leaving it in the central console, at the lower part (there's a place to carry things)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7