Dumb touchless controls/Google Now questions

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Dumb questions...

1. Is there a command to cancel touchless controls? When I say Cancel or Exit, it does a google search for those words and/or gives me the definition. If I'm quiet to let it time out sometimes it exits, but other times it takes me to the last search results (as I was just trying this right now, I was stone silent and after a few seconds it showed me the search results for Exit, which was my last command).

2. Google Now - I love that I can send a text by voice now. But when it asks me if I want to send it and I respond "Yes", it sends the text and takes me to a Google Search with just the word "Yes" entered (but no results). Really annoying. After sending the text I would expect it to exit/return, similar to calls.

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
1. I have just tried, and I don't think there is a voice command to cancel touchless controls.

2. After it says "Here's your message. Do you want to send it", it should automatically enable voice recognition again. Does it do that for you?

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
2. After it says "Here's your message. Do you want to send it", it should automatically enable voice recognition again. Does it do that for you?

Yes, so I say "Yes", it sends my message (and it disappears) and leaves me with a white google search box with the word "Yes" entered (but not searched).

When I initiate a phone call voice touchless controls and the other end hangs up, I return to my last screen/app. After I initiate and send a text, I would like it to the same. A minor annoyance, but requires me to pick up my phone while driving (and yes, I know there are other apps that could work around this issue, utter, etc).

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had the moto x a while but haven't used touch less controls very much. Is there a way to initiate a text message and have it read back to me before it's sent, the same way Assist works when in Drive mode? As it stands now, it dictates the message and asks me if I want to send it, but it doesn't read it back to me. I have to look at the phone to make sure the message is correct.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had the moto x a while but haven't used touch less controls very much. Is there a way to initiate a text message and have it read back to me before it's sent, the same way Assist works when in Drive mode? As it stands now, it dictates the message and asks me if I want to send it, but it doesn't read it back to me. I have to look at the phone to make sure the message is correct.
Yeah that's one downside right now. Texts that you speak are only repeated aloud during Assist Driving mode. If you initiate a text, you won't get the read-a-loud confirmation.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's one downside right now. Texts that you speak are only repeated aloud during Assist Driving mode. If you initiate a text, you won't get the read-a-loud confirmation.
Just wanted to make sure mine was working as intended. Thanks for confirming that!

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
what ive noticed from experience is that i dont say yes right away, i wait for it to ask me and wait for that little noise prompt, then it sends it with no issues. (so theres a slight delay when responding with yes or no)

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for confirming this behavior - I thought I was loosing my mind! Sometimes, the phone would read back texts to me after I dictated them, asking for verbal confirmation. Which was awesome! The workflow was completely touch less/handsfree.

Sometimes though, the phone translated my voice to text but didn't read the draft message back. Instead, it displayed the message on the screen, waiting for me to read it myself and press the SEND button. Which sucks. That's not hands free. That's "less hands." Totally not the same. When you need a completely handsfree experience, and then have to stop and read the screen and then press a button, well, that's the "handsfree" equivalent of having a peeing section in a swimming pool. Its either hands free...or its NOT.

So basically, while driving, if someone else starts the text conversation then it can all be handled totally hands free. If I start the text conversation, it cannot.

This seems like a really dumb design choice. I would think that IF a person starts using a handsfree feature, the whole workflow should default to HANDSFREE. Jeez.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
In Assist it will ask you to send text and you say yes. In normal Google Now voice text it will ask if you want to send text me but you have to say send it rather than yes. The process either way is hands free. Although I agree I'd like it read back to me when not in assist.

You can also set assist to read text to you when at home, but I find that to be annoying as if I'm having a longer talk I'd rather just call the person.

Posted via Android Central App